Alaska Excursions--post your reviews here!

Bumping! Lots of people are starting to plan for this season's Alaskan cruise excursions. When I planned our trip two years ago, this thread was my most valuable tool! It would be great if it could be updated to help our fellow cruisers! Feel free to post about your favorite excursions.
(Excursions are always being changed/updated, but it always helps as a guideline.) :)

How do I know if an excursion is morning or afternoon or all day? Or what time they return?

Trying to plan my excursions, booking some of them independently, and having a tough time coordinating!

Hi, we were on the Alaska cruise the last week in May and it was by far my favorite cruise. I recommend looking at booking excursions privately. A lot of the excursions are pretty expensive on this cruise so shopping around can really pay off. Here's what we did. We were really happy with all of our excursions.

Juneau- We did a small boat whale watching tour booked privately through Jayleen's Alaska. There were only 6 of us on the boat with our guide, who was wonderful. We had an amazing time and was able to see a lot of activity of a humpback with their baby. I've included a picture from the excursion below.

Skagway- White mountain pass railway and dogcart tour booked through Chillchoot Charters. I know others have mentioned this one on this thread so I would just say that it was a lot of fun. I would definitely add the dogcart tour up front because it was completely sold out when we got to the site.

Ketchikan- The only tour we went through DCL for was the Bearing Crab Sea Fisherman's Tour because it wasn't available privately that day. The fishermen pulled in crabs and shrimp that we were able to hold and even an octopus at the end (that we didn't hold). Also, at one point they were throwing out food and a whole bunch of bald eagles were flying around the boat that were really beautiful!
IMG_8067.JPG

Great suggestion to bump this thread! I wrote a trip report with detailed reviews of our excursions, but never posted here. We sailed on Carnival, not Disney, although the offerings for excursions are probably fairly similar. We booked the Mendenhall Glacier/Whale Watch trip independently based on web reviews.

I'll post the links to the reviews here:

Thursday August 17, 2017 At Sea/Juneau
Any Port in a Storm- Juneau: Do You Know What the Rainiest City in North America Is?
Mendenhall Glacier/Whale Watch Combo Tour through Juneau Whale Watch

Mendenhall Glacier

The Whales Don't Care, They're Already Wet

Friday August 18, 2017 Skagway
What Would You Do-oo-oo for a Klondike Tour?
Yukon Scenic Tour (Offered through Carnival Cruiselines)

Yukon Scenic Tour, Part 1

Yukon Scenic Tour, Part 2

Town of Skagway

Sunday August 20, 2017 Ketchikan
Alaska Bear Adventure

Ketchikan

Alaska Bear Adventure

Bears and Bears and Bears, Oh My!

Last edited:

Juneau- We did a small boat whale watching tour booked privately through Jayleen's Alaska. There were only 6 of us on the boat with our guide, who was wonderful. We had an amazing time and was able to see a lot of activity of a humpback with their baby. I've included a picture from the excursion below.

View attachment 454636

What an awesome picture!!!

:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter