I just ranted about this on the transportation board, but I also need cruiser advice, not just the chance to vent. The incoming flight to our DCL Alaska cruise could easily be cancelled by the strike that WestJet pilots are planning. The strike won't begin until May 22nd at least, and even if the Canadian government steps in after two weeks of strikes to restore service, our June 3rd flight from Texas to Vancouver does fall within that two week period and has a high chance of being cancelled or disrupted to the point that we miss the cruise. I searched and finally found reasonable rates on the same route via American, but WestJet has refused us a refund. They say it's "business as usual", and were dismissive to my concerns about not being able to wait until the last minute to make sure we have a reliable flight to ensure we make our cruise. I want to book the American flights to get peace of mind, but would hate to waste so much money un non-refunded flights. There are few AA flights on this route at this reasonable price point (and none this reasonable on other airlines), so I want to book now, before these prices are gone. I can't just wait & see for another whole week. The difference will be several hundred dollars. I have travel insurance, but doubt I could get reimbursement for choosing to cancel & rebook before my flight is actually cancelled or disrupted. That's the catch-22 here. I'm supposed to wait until the 11th hour to make other arrangements, and we all know how expensive that would be. I don't know what to do. I've considered flying SWA into Seattle, but prices I found are fairly high for SWA even for that, and when you add the cost of secondary transportation to and from Vancouver, the American Airlines flights straight into and out of Vancouver are a better deal. I don't know what to do. Well, what to do other than never flying WestJet again- I figured that out while on the phone with their unsympathetic "customer service" department this morning. Help!