Alaska and Pacific Coast Excursions

Yes, but book your tickets online in advance. Some days it can get busy.

--Kay

Very good point. :thumbsup2 I forgot about that part since we had annual passes when we went. It definitely gets crowded there sometimes. ;)

Robin"D";39310205 said:
Sue,

Thx, and yes we are enjoying the 8" + so far....
I think we are going to do the WDFM excursion, maybe because we are from DCL. thjey will make it specail for us

She you next month!

Happ New Year!

Robin & Angel "D" :thumbsup2

SOunds like a good idea, you will have to let us know how it works out.

We are going to do the Disney museum on our own the cost to get in is $20.00 per person and it will not cost much to get out there even by cab but i am researching the light rail which I believe goes out there. More to follow. Sue
No such luck on the light rail--your best bet is the taxi. It shouldn't be too horrible from the pier to the Presidio. Public transit out to the Presidio is poor. (BTW--love the museum--I've been twice)

I would still lean toward taking a cab to the museum and then a walking tour (on your own) of the wharf area, which includes the Cannery and Ghirardelli Square.
Other than the museum, the rest of that ship tour is not very impressive.

Or...as I'd said.....if you don't want to walk around and see all that, you can reserve tickets for the Duck Tour, and that will show you all those sights (except the museum) and China Town and the Giants ball park.
The duck tour is a lot of fun--for my 40th birthday, my husband threw me a party on the duck tour in San Francisco. If you have kids, it's a hoot, and will give you a good tour of the city. Also, a long walk away from the dock, there's the Aquarium of the Bay, which is a lot of fun, and great for kids.

I can't remember what thread it was but someone was talking about renting a car in SF. I would advise against that as parking is often difficult to find and very expensive.

I can't remember what thread it was but someone was talking about renting a car in SF. I would advise against that as parking is often difficult to find and very expensive.

DITTO DITTO DITTO!!! Bad idea!!!

Not sure if I posted it here, but we were considering it. Thanks for the advice!

My family and my husband's family live in the San Francisco area, so we are there all the time. It's worth printing out the coupons for the coupon book at

Pier 39: http://www.pier39.com/funpack.html

and for

Fisherman's Wharf: http://www.baycityguide.com/images/coupons_pdf/San_Francisco_printable_coupons_shopping.pdf

Be sure to get a coupon book for every member of the family

Thank you!!! I'm going to put a link over on our cruise meet thread!

We are going to do the Disney museum on our own the cost to get in is $20.00 per person and it will not cost much to get out there even by cab but i am researching the light rail which I believe goes out there. More to follow. Sue

OK I feel like a Disney looser...:rolleyes1I didn't even realize that there was a Disney Museum...DUH! :headache: I'm guessing this is in SF...

Anything on Alaska yet???

I'll add more "DITTOS" onto that one. I wouldn't recommend a car if you are staying in the city.

When we drive in to SF the first thing I try to do is ditch the car -- it's a pain to find parking there. Plus when the cruise line ships are in downtown, that area is especially a mess since people are arriving and departing from an area not designed for it.;)

Robin"D";39316555 said:
I did....any other hints, tips, coupons.....:confused3.....:surfweb:

Looks like if you go to www.baycityguide.com from there, you can see all kinds of tours and things to do. Looks like you get a really good idea of what's available!

Robin"D";39316555 said:
I did....any other hints, tips, coupons.....:confused3.....:surfweb:

Okay--keeping in mind that we are weird people, and our tastes may not be everyone's, here is our list of Things We Like to Do in San Francisco:

Near the dock (you can walk there from your ship):

Pier 39 (my 14-year-old is particularly fond of the Turbo Ride and The Aquarium of the Bay)
The Aquarium of the Bay (also on Pier 39--if you have little ones, this is a can't-miss)
The Duck Tour (if you want a tour of the city, this is the way to go.)
The Musee Mechanique (This is a WHOLE lot of fun--it is a whole group of various coin-operated amusements, many of which are more than 100 years old. Bring quarters, or a 5-spot to get change. My daughter INSISTS we visit each and every year.)
The WWII-era submarine (My father was a history instructor)
The Martime Museum (if it's open--my father-in-law was a Merchant Marine)
The Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum (Silly, but fun)
The Wax Museum (My daughter loves them. Not as big a deal for me.)

Further Away from the Dock (Usually, you need a taxi or a bus):

Any museum (With kids, particularly the Academy of Sciences, the Exploratorium, and The Walt Disney Museum. My daughter (14), also loves the San Francisco MOMA)
Union Square (in particular, the Disney store)

We know that Alcatraz is very popular, but we've never gone.
Ghirardelli Square is just okay

If You Need Stuff (within walking distance):

A few blocks away from the docks, there is a shopping center called Northpoint. It has a Walgreens and a Safeway. Kitty-cornered from it's parking structure, there's a Trader Joe's.

Also, wanted to add one more thing--I checked out the listed San Francisco Excursions, and it says that you must have a collapsible wheelchair to go to the Aquarium of the Bay and the Wax Museum. Codswallop. I've gone to both in my mobility scooter more times than I can count. You have to be careful, but there's no reason you can't go through both places comfortably.

I'm down in So Cal now but went to grad school at Cal :hippie:

Some of the places where I would take visitors:

North Beach - great Italian food. http://www.sfgate.com/neighborhoods/sf/northbeach/

If you want pizza and feel like taking BART out to the East Bay, check out Zacharys. http://www.zacharys.com/

Chinatown - You might check out out Chowhound.com before choosing a restaurant. Something that is unique but literally a hole in the wall is the fortune cookie factory http://www.sanfranciscochinatown.com/attractions/ggfortunecookie.html.

Cable Car - gotta do it just cuz you're in SF. Take a ride from the Wharf past Chinatown to Union Square. Hop on a bus to get back.

Lombard Street - Even if you aren't in a car, it is such a famous street and you see it in so many movies that it is worth at least stopping by. http://www.sftravel.com/lomabardcrookedstreet.html

Ghiradelli Square - The chocolate and ice cream aren't anything out that you can't get elsewhere. The sign and plaza are pretty in the dark so, if it isn't too cold, you can walk down after visiting Fisherman's Wharf.

Fisherman's Wharf - Honestly, IMO, it is overrated. Yeah, you should walk around and see what is there but it has gotten so dirty and the restaurants aren't all that great anymore. I'm sure others feel differently.

Wine Country - Beautiful! If you are into wine and have time, it is worth the adventure.

Golden Gate Park - HUGE with so much to see and do. As has been mentioned, the Academy of Sciences is amazing. http://www.calacademy.org/

Haight Ashbury - :hippie: http://www.lovehaight.org/ :hippie: Not really that big of a deal but might be of interest to some of you.

Marina Safeway - (just joking). Back in the day, it was the place to go if you wanted to pick up more than groceries. :hug: :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter