AKV or BRV Purchase

aleh021

Mouseketeer
Hi all! As the title suggests, we are looking at either AKV & BRV for a resale purchase.

Looking for a contract between 125-160 points. Not set on how many yet at the moment.
Main goal here is to save as much $$$ as possible with buying this contract and trying to get the best bang for our money.

Love both resorts, both are similar (in my opinion) with of course theming differences and area.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on which would be a better buy & why.

Thanks everyone. :wizard:

If contract length matters, AKV expires in 2057 so you and loved ones get an extra 15 years. Both of their annual dues are about the same, but I can see AKV's dues rising faster since they have the animals there.

If contract length matters, AKV expires in 2057 so you and loved ones get an extra 15 years. Both of their annual dues are about the same, but I can see AKV's dues rising faster since they have the animals there.

I knew BRV was shorter but didn’t realize it was by 15 years!

For best mathematical bang, the answer is going to always be SSR/OKW because of their legacy charts. Points have cost yes, but the charts also decide the value. Go check out the charts for your plans, and really look at it closely.

There's also a sweet spot for AKL standard view, which is undervalued on the charts, and the BLT standard view. I can also make an argument for BW in some undervalued categories, like 1BR.

For bang compared to cash value, and what I would pick for bang, the answer is BLT. I think it has room to run, location can't be beat, and standard view is a steal on the point charts. Also Boardwalk for Boardwalk view, this room is staggeringly expensive in cash, and you have to own BW to book it.

If you're trying to spend less cash upfront, the answer is OKW/SSR.

BR is a bad combination of a mediocre chart and bad point cost. I'd even take CCV over BR.

https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/best-economical-dvc-resorts-to-purchase-spring-2021/

Last edited:
We came down to the same choice when we bought....we went with AKV due to the expiry.

15 years is a big difference. On paper it didnt seem like that much of a difference.

Right now BRV seems to be priced lower, probably bc of the expiration.

Love AKV for the theming & ANIMALS. Who doesn't love animals. If only they'd make a walkway to AK, or even a fun little safari ride to AK, that'd be something haha.

For us, proximity to parks was important. We always do MK on our stays but don't always do Animal Kingdom or HS which are closer to AK. That's one of the reasons we chose BRV. It's a short boat ride and we just can't imagine staying any place else. Same architects in both resorts. That's why they're so amazing. Also, BRV is due a refurb in 2022 - fingers crossed it happens since Disney is always changing their schedules - so the rooms are going to be closer to CCV in style. There are pictures of the test room on the BRV Lovers thread.

Well, my opinion is based on loving to travel October-Christmas and loving WL/CC/BR vibe at MK. I think BR renovation will make buying it now a potential deal, but I don’t love the layout of their 2-bedroom. What room category are you thinking and season to travel? AKV has a better room layout, IMO, but I don’t love being so isolated from other parks.

Young kid’s? Group size? Planning to cook in the room? Family like AK restaurants (more unique food offerings AK v BR meat and potatoes nearby.). Both are beautifully themed. Would you ever want/need a grand villa? You can have an amazing group adventure at Jambo or Kidani 3-bedroom.

Which is favorite park, AK or MK?

If loading 5 into a studio is a budget hope, AKV studios are limit 4 to BRV fitting 5. But at the 1BR level, the BRV 1BR is "BYO Bed" for the 5th guest, and the AKV 1BR is one of the nicest on campus.

When akv gets their refurb will occupancy in studios increase To 5?

I assume akv will get the Murphy and pull down bed below the tv

When akv gets their refurb will occupancy in studios increase To 5?

I assume akv will get the Murphy and pull down bed below the tv

Hmm who knows, those rooms are on the smaller & to imagine a pull down bed under the TV might make it to tight?

If loading 5 into a studio is a budget hope, AKV studios are limit 4 to BRV fitting 5. But at the 1BR level, the BRV 1BR is "BYO Bed" for the 5th guest, and the AKV 1BR is one of the nicest on campus.

5 in a studio is do-able but tight. Our party size ranges from 2-4 people, never anything larger then that honestly. Yet at least.

Why settle for one?? Pick up a small contract at both, and alternate which one you stay at (presuming you are planning to go every year) by banking/borrowing.

We own at both. We started with BRV - and at the time, figured 24 years was still long enough. We also wanted the studio that could sleep 5; we're a family of 4 but our boys don't want to share beds. We also love to visit in the fall, and the theming, boat ride to MK, and most importantly Christmas decorations at BRV/CCV cannot be beat!!

However, we ALSO love the Animal Kingdom Lodge, and we are family that also doesn't mind doing split stays when we go for a week or more. We knew we had to own at AKV, too, so that was our second home resort (third was CCV, because after a couple years we decided that we would still want to stay at the Wilderness Lodge in our semi-retirement AND we took advantage of the 2020 discounts and purchased a Guaranteed Week for the holidays).

I own at AKV and CCV so essentially both of you’re prospective choices. The reason I chose both is because of the locations and restaurants. CCV gets me close to MK but far enough away to not deal with the monorail traffic. Also a short trip to Ft. Wilderness. Love Geyser Point and Whispering Canyon. Hands down the best resort for Christmas time.

I love that AKV is more secluded and away from the hustle and bustle. Arguably the best restaurants on property and it has savanna’s all around. Having 2 resorts in one is also a plus with Jambo and Kidani. The same can be said at the lodge with BRV and CCV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter