AKV Concierge

sailors_wfe

Mouseketeer
I wondered if anyone could tell me about staying in the AKL concierge level rooms? We have a Sept trip booked in a 1 br concierge for myself, DH and our daughter (5months at time of trip) Right now this will be a quick trip down since I REALLY don't have the time off of work, so right now it's just a 4 night trip. We decided when we found out about DD that we weren't going to be back to WDW this year.. but those darn points burn a hole in my pocket :rotfl: so I decided if I could get AKL Concierge we'd go back... now I got it and DH doesn't seem as excited as I am:rolleyes1 ... guess I've always wanted tos stay somewhere concierge and this is my first chance :woohoo: Can anybody tell me about staying in the Villas... and staying concierge in general... what advantages can I tell DH to further impress him (he he) I think we get nightly turn down service (is that included in DVC ressies too??) and I've heard good things about the food at AKL concierge lounge... also do they call us to see if we have anything we want to schedule (I thought I read somewhere that we would be contacted by a concierge planner.. but that may not be correct?) I'd love to hear anything about AKV Concierge that anyone has experienced... any Trip Reports or tips or just simple info.

TIA

Yes, nightly turn down, daily maid service, and great food in the lounge (which is just down the hall, by the way), but the BEST part of staying in concierge at AKV is the ability to go on the Sunrise Safari at AK and the big discount on the Wanyama safari at AKL.

DH was skeptical about club level too, but after our first stay there, he now only wants to stay club level at AKV! Well, if we aren't staying at OKW, that is!

We have a concierge stay for one night in September, checking in on Friday and out on Saturday. Can the concierge make us an ADR for the Saturday night, or would it only be for Friday night that the ADR can be made? Friday is the safari, so we don't need an ADR for that night, we check into BCV on Saturday.

Bobbi:goodvibes

I can't remember if concierge have savannah views? If yes, even studios? Thanks.

We have a concierge stay for one night in September, checking in on Friday and out on Saturday. Can the concierge make us an ADR for the Saturday night, or would it only be for Friday night that the ADR can be made? Friday is the safari, so we don't need an ADR for that night, we check into BCV on Saturday.

We have a trip in August that includes 5 nights in a 1BR concierge villa then 3 nights at BLT. I e-mailed a question like yours to the IPO at AKV to see if they could make our ADRs for the "non-concierge" portion of our trip. The CM said they absolutely could do that for us. :thumbsup2

I can't remember if concierge have savannah views? If yes, even studios? Thanks.

I think I've read in past posts that out of the five 2BR lock-offs that make up AKV concierge, three are on the savanna side (savanna view) and two are on the pool side (pool view). The view you will get is not guaranteed.

I wondered if anyone could tell me about staying in the AKL concierge level rooms? We have a Sept trip booked in a 1 br concierge for myself, DH and our daughter (5months at time of trip) Right now this will be a quick trip down since I REALLY don't have the time off of work, so right now it's just a 4 night trip. We decided when we found out about DD that we weren't going to be back to WDW this year.. but those darn points burn a hole in my pocket :rotfl: so I decided if I could get AKL Concierge we'd go back... now I got it and DH doesn't seem as excited as I am:rolleyes1 ... guess I've always wanted tos stay somewhere concierge and this is my first chance :woohoo: Can anybody tell me about staying in the Villas... and staying concierge in general... what advantages can I tell DH to further impress him (he he) I think we get nightly turn down service (is that included in DVC ressies too??) and I've heard good things about the food at AKL concierge lounge... also do they call us to see if we have anything we want to schedule (I thought I read somewhere that we would be contacted by a concierge planner.. but that may not be correct?) I'd love to hear anything about AKV Concierge that anyone has experienced... any Trip Reports or tips or just simple info.

TIA

There is an ongoing thread on the "Resorts" board about concierge level accomodations. Here's a link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1943943. It includes info. from all the WDW deluxe hotels but it seems to have quite a lot of info about AKL/AKV. At the start of the thread they list the contact info. for the Intinerary Planning Offices (IPO) for each hotel. You can contact them with specific questions you might have. I've e-mailed them a few times and they respond in a timely manner.

I think I've read in past posts that out of the five 2BR lock-offs that make up AKV concierge, three are on the savanna side (savanna view) and two are on the pool side (pool view). The view you will get is not guaranteed.
That is correct. In addition, the view from the savanna view rooms is not the greatest. It will improve a bit once they finish construction of Kidani Village but it will never be a great savanna view. The rooms are in a little alcove of the Sunset Savanna and you're up so high that the tree tops block a lot of the view.

We enjoyed our concierge stay. We stayed there so that we could do the Sunrise Safari and get the concierge price for the Wanyama (aka Sunset) Safari. So while we didn't have a great view from the room, during the Wanyama Safari, we had the best view you can get at AKV and it was worth it to us for that reason.

we stayed 1 BR concierge Sept 08 and LOVED IT! Currently waitlisted to get back in Jan '10, actually.

Your questions re: food in the lounge:

Pretty hearty breakfast. There is oatmeal, cereal, fruit, donut/pastry things
snacks all day include gummy bears and trail mix and goldfish crackers
there is a DELISH smoothie that is out most of the day, but I found out the calories - and, let me just say, it explains A LOT about the tightness of my clothes at the end of the trip
Evenings have appetizers from Boma/Jiko and desserts as well. Very good. My kids were able to make a meal out of them - but they didn't refill very quickly, and there were definitely people trying to make that their dinner - so I'd not PLAN on using concierge for anything other than breakfast, and it's definitely good enough for breakfast, from my family's point of view

Our room was savannah view - we LOVED it. There is only 1 bath in the 1 BRs, though, and I was expecting 2. Room is a bit dark - but we LOVED it. Nice kitchen, eat-in area that we NEVER used. Washer and Dryer was fabulous though.

Nightly turn down service - gives everyone candy and cookies and cute little cards with African sayings/quotes.

I miss it just talking about it. The concierge folks didn't really contact me - I contacted them, but they were very responsive when I did. Of course, I already had all of my meals, etc booked so I didn't use them for that but you certainly could...

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Oh yeah - definitely do the sunrise safari! Only available to concierge guests and worth it for sure! We loved it and my kids were 4 and 6 at the time and had a blast. They kept everyone laughing. My favorite part was how impressed they were on the safari every time they saw a bunny or a butterfly. True story. I was like "Did you miss the Rhinos and the big ostrich over there?"

The breakfast afterward is fabulous and it is at pizzafari. It was great. Lots of options, hot buffet.

We have a trip in August that includes 5 nights in a 1BR concierge villa then 3 nights at BLT. I e-mailed a question like yours to the IPO at AKV to see if they could make our ADRs for the "non-concierge" portion of our trip. The CM said they absolutely could do that for us. :thumbsup2

That's great to know. I had e-mailed AKV planning with 2 questions and they only had replied to the first...about the Wildlife Discovery Excursion which we would be able to do on Saturday:

The Wildlife Discovery Excursion takes the Kilimanjaro safari experience to the next level. Disney's Animal Kingdom invites you to venture off the beaten path of the Harambe Wildlife Reserve for a unique animal observation and photo excursion. Led by a seasoned Safari Guide and an Animal expert, this adventure takes you off the Safari trail, stopping at special observation and photo areas throughout the 110-acre savannah of the reserve. The tour takes place Tuesday through Saturday at 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m..

It mentions that you can take guests with you who are not staying on Concierge level.

That's great to know. I had e-mailed AKV planning with 2 questions and they only had replied to the first...about the Wildlife Discovery Excursion which we would be able to do on Saturday:

The Wildlife Discovery Excursion takes the Kilimanjaro safari experience to the next level. Disney's Animal Kingdom invites you to venture off the beaten path of the Harambe Wildlife Reserve for a unique animal observation and photo excursion. Led by a seasoned Safari Guide and an Animal expert, this adventure takes you off the Safari trail, stopping at special observation and photo areas throughout the 110-acre savannah of the reserve. The tour takes place Tuesday through Saturday at 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.

This is something different than the 2 special safaris (sunrise/sunset) that they offer? Do you know what the cost is for the Excursion? We are planning on doing the Sunrise Safari/breakfast buffet when we go but I haven't signed up for it yet.

What is the cost of the sunrise safari?
... Sunrise Safari Breakfast Adventure is exclusive to concierge guests staying at our resort. It is offered on Thursdays and Sundays. The safari starts at 6:30 A.M. if the park opens at 8 A.M. & it starts at 7:30 A.M. if the park opens at 9 A.M.. You would meet in the concierge lounge at 6:15 A.M. or 6:45 A.M., depending on park hours & will check-in at the concierge desk. The concierge will scan your park admission into the park which is required to participate in this experience. An animal programs cast member will be meeting our guests in the Sunset Overlook to give a run down of the morning's activities. You will then take a private bus, which will go through some of the backstage areas atDisney's Animal Kingdom. You will then walk over to the Kilimanjaro Safari attraction and board the first jeep onto the savanna. You will be able to ask the animal programs cast member questions and there will be frequent stops for you to take pictures. The safari will last from 45 minutes to 1 hour long. Afterwards you will have a delicious breakfast buffet that awaits you. You are free to go about your day, at this point. If you would like to go back to the resort, you will take the regular bus back. The cost is $55.00 for adults and $27.50 for children 3 to 9. There is a48 hour cancellation policy. The unpaved roads of Harambe Wildlife Reserve pass through rough and rugged terrain. For your safety you should be in good health and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness or other conditions that could be aggravated by this adventure. Expectant mothers should not ride. If you have special needs (wheelchair or scooter) or dietary needs, please let us know so that we may accommodate you. Safaris are may be subject to minimum booking requirements. Other days may be available for booking if regular days have heavy wait lists. Ask your itinerary planner for details. All charges are posted as a room charge. No meal packages can be used to pay for this event. Sunrise Safari Breakfast Buffet Menu: Assorted Breakfast Breads and Pastries Seasonal Fresh Fruit Biscuits and Gravy Fruit Cobbler Scrambled Eggs Scrambled Eggs with Cheese Vegetable Pan Omelet Smoked Beef Sausage w/ Peppers and Onions Banana French Toast Bacon Sausage Patties Baked Ham Hash Brown Potatoes Fried Plantains Beverages - Coffee, Tea, Guava Juice, Orange Juice

We are staying 14 nights at AKV in August. 10 of the 14 are in concierge. When I called a few weeks ago the girl I spoke with specifically said they will NOT make the ADRs for me for the nights we are in a savanna view villa. :mad: I swear I am the ONLY person who has been told NO! I read posts all the time about people who have been told IPO WILL make ADRs for them beyond the days they are staying concierge.

I guess I will e-mail everything to them and see if they still refuse to make those other dining reservations for me. :sad2:

We are staying 14 nights at AKV in August. 10 of the 14 are in concierge. When I called a few weeks ago the girl I spoke with specifically said they will NOT make the ADRs for me for the nights we are in a savanna view villa. :mad: I swear I am the ONLY person who has been told NO! I read posts all the time about people who have been told IPO WILL make ADRs for them beyond the days they are staying concierge.

I guess I will e-mail everything to them and see if they still refuse to make those other dining reservations for me. :sad2:

Really? I thought they did a great job for me. I'm staying 4 nights concierge AKV and then 3 nights at VWL in a studio there. They were great and did all of my ADRs for me for the whole trip.

We are staying AKV Concierge Sept 8 - 14. Is it too early to contact them?

Cyndi

Booking this March trip fell at a time when the reservations were going from 180 days out to 90 days. I had called them around the 180 days because I didn't know there would be a change. They took all of the information and said that when they could book it they could, and they did, and I got a confirmation e-mail.

We're going the end of September again and I did just e-mail them about the Wildlife excursion, so I don't think it's too early to ask them questions. I was going to contact them around 4 months out to tell then what we wanted to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter