AKV 2 bdrm value or 1 bdrm Savana?

alamode

Mouseketeer
I had originally booked our first DVC trip for 6 people, my in-laws, myself and my three kids. (Son10 and twin daughters 6). I chose AKV Jambo 2 bedroom value for 8 nights, or 258 points.

Unfortunately, my FIL passed away suddenly over the holidays, so now there are 5 of us going.

Would it be better to keep the 2 bedroom value, or go with a 1 bedroom and either save some points via a standard room, or ensure a savanna view with a 1 bedroom for only 4 more points? It "says" the 1 bedrooms sleep 5, but just wondering with my MIL needing her own bed if this would even be possible in a 1 bedroom?

Opinions/advice appreciated.

If your MIL needs her own bed your only options in a 1BR would be to give her the king bed or make her sleep on the pullout in the living room. You would still have to find room for the 3 kids. Also, if this is your first trip and you really wanted a savanna view you would need to book that category to guarantee the view.

Our last stay in October was in a dedicated 2BR standard view at Kidani (the first time we haven't stayed savanna view) and I was pleasantly surprised. We didn't miss the view and the point savings were a nice bonus. There are so many other places to see the animals we didn't miss having them right outside our room. With a dedicated 2BR you get 2 queen beds in the 2nd bedroom which is nice when adults will be sleeping there. Also, at Kidani you get 3 full baths in a 2BR so that is great when getting ready in the morning or before going to bed at night.

If it were me, I would keep the 2BR value, put the MIL in the 2nd bedroom with the older child, let the twins sleep on the pullout sofa in the living room and keep the master bedroom for myself. The value units don't have the sleeper chair so that limits your ability to put the 3rd child in the living room. If my points allowed I personally would choose a 2BR value or standard view vs. a 1 BR savanna view almost every time.

I guess another option is to put the MIL on the balcony. :banana:

From my understanding the 2 bedrooms at Jambo are lockoffs, not dedicated. I'm thinking the twins on the pullout in the "studio" part, with the MIL on the studio bed. My son gets the living room, and I get the king, of course. :)

I'm thinking we'd probably be a tad crowded in a 1 bedroom, I'm just over-thinking my options.

........I guess another option is to put the MIL on the balcony. :banana:

nice....that you've regained your sense of humor so quickly after

your father inlaw's sudden death over the holidays :confused3

Condolences to the children & family on his loss.

If your MIL doesn't consider the pull-outs in the living room ( or the balcony for that matter ) to be proper beds then the king bed in master bedroom in 1 bedroom villa is only option for that type of unit. Your MIL might benefit and appreciate & even you as well, entirely separate space: 2 studios, And at value or standard the points saving is significant which might be interesting option for extending the trip (a night or 2 extra to try out another resort perhaps ) or you'd have more points left for future trip.

Good luck :)

Never thought of that option, the 2 studios. But there is 1 bed and a pullout couch in a studio correct? So I could get one studio for the four of us, and 1 for her.

We'd lose the kitchen etc, but might be an option.

UPDATE: Just called and only Savannah studios are available, so no points savings for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter