AKL Savanna view room...

greeneggs1082

Mouseketeer
...which "savanna" is the "best"? We will be there from Friday (tomorrow) to Sunday and have a savanna view room. I was just wondering if any of the savannas are "better" than the others?

...which "savanna" is the "best"? We will be there from Friday (tomorrow) to Sunday and have a savanna view room. I was just wondering if any of the savannas are "better" than the others?

Arusha is the most popular and is its own booking category (at a higher price) outside of the generic savannah view. That said, you can get "upgraded" to an Arusha view from a generic savannah view (or even a non-savannah view) if there are rooms available. My personal ranking would be Arusha, then Uzima and last Sunset.

Some of the animals vary in each Savannah. When we stayed at AKL we requested the Arusha Savannah, which is the only one with zebras. Here's a list I found online of what animals are located in each Savanah.

•Sunset Savannah: Male Giraffe, Bongo, Impala, Thompsons Gazelles, Ostrich, Ankole Cattle, Waterbuck, African crown cranes, stork and blue cranes.

•Arusha Savannah: Pelicans, geese, giraffe, ankole cattle, zebra, Wildebeast, eland, gemsbok

•Uzima Savannah: Giraffe, Impala, Kudu, Bongo, Blesbok, Thompsons Gazelles

Some of the animals vary in each Savannah. When we stayed at AKL we requested the Arusha Savannah, which is the only one with zebras. Here's a list I found online of what animals are located in each Savanah.

•Sunset Savannah: Male Giraffe, Bongo, Impala, Thompsons Gazelles, Ostrich, Ankole Cattle, Waterbuck, African crown cranes, stork and blue cranes.

•Arusha Savannah: Pelicans, geese, giraffe, ankole cattle, zebra, Wildebeast, eland, gemsbok

•Uzima Savannah: Giraffe, Impala, Kudu, Bongo, Blesbok, Thompsons Gazelles

When I was staying on the Sunset savannah a few weeks ago, there were lots of zebra there. One of the animals, either Thompsons Gazelles or eland I think, were discontinued at AKL because they kept jumping out of the electric wire. I've got pictures of one grazing outside (but I'm at work and can't access photos).

I've stayed with Arusha View once and Uzima and both were great and we saw tons of animals! I'm staying there next Thursday and we didn't request a view since it's just for a night but it's a DVC room so I'm not sure which of the three we will get?!

Since you have savanna view (and not Arusha) Sunset savanna is larger, around 16 or 17 acres, and is located between the DVC units in Kidani and the main lodge Jambo. were the regular rooms are. Sunset has a whole herd of Zebras these days (well several, anyway.) Uzima savanna is on the other side of Jambo and is 11 acres (same size as the more expensive central Arusha savanna.) It had 2 zebras when I was there in 2010, don't know about now. Uzima is nice because it's on zebra trail which is the side of Jambo where the pool and CS (Mara) is - which means less walking to those places.
Here's a map - enlarge the Jambo one to get an idea of the lay of the land
http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts/animal-kingdom-villas/maps-a-photos
Have a great vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter