AKL room request suggestion

pooh4brains

Mouseketeer
Just got back from AKL. We booked a standard, and were not upgraded, which was no big deal. We did wind up with a really great savanna view though. We were on the zebra trail at the VERY end - room 3576. It was a great room - very quiet if you don't mind the walk! We woke up to 4 giraffes on our first morning. :woohoo:

The room does have a view of the chain link fence that divides the savannas, so some of our giraffe friends were on the other side of the fence, but viewable nonetheless. This room was also an adjoining room. I would definitely request it in the future!

Glad you had a great time, and lucky you for the upgrade! Waking up to giraffes walking past our room was one of the highlights of staying at AKL!!!:cloud9:

Sounds like a cracking standard room that. Were booked into a standard room when we go in feb 2011, hopefully we will be as lucky as you were. :worship:

I'm pretty sure if you could see animals, you were upgraded to a Savannah View Room.
I don't think any rooms on Zebra trail are standard rooms. I think they're all Savannah and Pool View.
I'm pretty sure all the Standard Rooms are on the Giraffe and Ostrich trails overlooking the parking lot.

I thought for sure the CM had upgraded us when we checked in. When he showed us our room on the map, I asked if we were on the Savanna view side. He said "No, you're booked for standard. You may have a bit of a view, but not a proper one" which I took to mean, "this is a standard, but a nicer standard than usual" but I could be wrong. We have had a savanna view in the past, and this was not as good...

Either way we were thrilled!;)

That's interesting. I would expect Disney to attempt to sell that room as a Savannah Room even if it's only a partial view. They sell plenty of other views with obstructions.
It's great that you got lucky!

Ive stayed in a standard room on Kudu 3 years ago, it was by the lifts and had a partial view, which i guess is why it was a standard room :confused3

we are going in April and want to stay at AKL but can't really justify the cost of a savannah view for the limited time we will be in the room . . . don't get me wrong, we would love to but the $$$$ is too much. Several people mentioned getting upgrades. Is this something that happens by luck or do people request them? Thanks!

we are going in April and want to stay at AKL but can't really justify the cost of a savannah view for the limited time we will be in the room . . . don't get me wrong, we would love to but the $$$$ is too much. Several people mentioned getting upgrades. Is this something that happens by luck or do people request them? Thanks!

Upgrades are completely random. It depends on availability when you arrive and for the duration of your trip. It's also completely at the whim of the room assigner or the person checking you in. Some people have reported getting complimentary upgrades just by asking how much more it would cost to upgrade, but there's no guarantee that they will give it to you at no cost.

Basically, you should book the room category that you will make you happy and you can afford. If you're given an upgrade, then great, if not you can still enjoy your trip.
As far as Standard Rooms at AKL go...there isn't much of a cost difference between Standard Rooms and Pool View, so if you want to get a more charming view, then that may be cost effective.

This generally happens when the hotel is booked, or overbooked, in the category you chose. Sometimes it can happen if the hotel is empty. It's not something you can ask for -- CMs have stated that that is how you can guarantee not to get an upgrade.

If you're not going to be in your room much, I wouldn't worry about it. There are so many lovely balconies and overlooks with comfy rocking chairs where you can sit a while and look out at the animals on the savanna. You will still see plenty of them, even without a savanna-view room.

And if you don't want a standard room, check out the rates for the pool-view rooms. They are barely more than the standard rate, but have nicer views.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter