AKL OR SS

StitchBuddy

DIS Veteran
Wanting to purchase resale points. We are not super big planners so having the 11th month window isn’t a big deal for us. We live about an hour away and just want to use it a couple days here and there and when we have guest. I don’t really have a preference for a resort as I want to stay at most them to at least try them out. Where would you buy? I’m thinking SS or AKL. Thanks!!

Given your situation I think either one of those would work.

SSR is a little less dues so that might tip the scales in favorite if it.

But if you were able to book more than 7 months out, would you have a preference between these two? If so, I’d go with that one just in case your situation for trips changes.

I like AKL for the theming and the availability of value rooms and club level. The ability to walk to Disney Springs is a point in favor of SSR.

The rooms at Kidani are SO much better than SSR. Did I mention the Savannah?
One of many reasons we purchased there. Getting up in the morning and seeing animals in the Savannah is AMAZING. SSR is not even close. And if you do a 1 BR, Kidani kills it! Seriously, 2 bathrooms?

I rarely book more than 7 months out, so I too was looking at the best value when I was shopping for my first contract. I ended up getting the Poly because for those trips that I DO want the 11 month window, that is the resort I favor the most, so my final strategy was to get the best deal at the resort I was willing to be stuck at...this was a couple of years ago when Poly points were going for about $140. Many people love both resorts so its really a matter of your choice:) Good luck!

Thanks for everyone’s input. Which do you think will have better resale value down the road? As I only see us owning for 15 yrs as we are older.

I'd buy either AKL or BLT for SAP right now. The pricing is so close to SSR and booking categories do matter, if you ever were to use them. I think BLT has the best resale down the road, wildly speculating. Hard to argue with that BLT chart, that already looks retro, and BLT has several categories that are very difficult to book. I think Poly tower will make the BLT chart look even better.

Use year matters for this kind of last minute planning, so make sure you know those rules.

There's so much on the market, I think a good buy is about the same mathematically between Poly/SSR/BLT/AKL. Buy loaded and don't pay dues on the banked points.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone’s input. Which do you think will have better resale value down the road? As I only see us owning for 15 yrs as we are older.
Probably about the same. Both have a little over 30 years left.
For my part, while I like the theming at AKL, I find it an inconvenient location as we like to be out and about a lot. So we added SSR, to be close to DS.

Between those two, I think whatever it is will be similar. Just be aware that things could be changing in terms of future resorts and in 15 years, Those 2042 resorts will be expiring and most likely banned from resale points.

No one knows how that will impact resale value. So, I’d be cautious in worrying about that given the potential changes to the product in the next 15 years.

Those 2042 resorts will be expiring and most likely banned from resale points.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, but 2042 can't be singled out. For example, VGF could stop taking any non-VGF points, but they couldn't just not take BR. BR could also only allow all BR points to be used at BR (exit the trading system) or sell or burn down. Within the O14, assuming the resort opted in, the resale points are equal, including 2042.

I actually can see BW/BC stop taking outside points towards the end, but that would be all non-home points, not just resale or 2042 points.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, but 2042 can't be singled out. For example, VGF could stop taking any non-VGF points, but they couldn't just not take BR. BR could also only allow all BR points to be used at BR (exit the trading system) or sell or burn down. Within the O14, assuming the resort opted in, the resale points are equal, including 2042.

I actually can see BW/BC stop taking outside points towards the end, but that would be all non-home points, not just resale or 2042 points.

I mean that if in 15 years, those resorts are more likely to be restricted from resale points bought today,

Anyone buying AKV and SSR could have 4 years left to trade into those resort only and the lack of where those points can be used may impact what people are willing to pay.

In 15 years people may not pay as much for these points when they know 4 years later, those 3 resorts will be gone for them. And, of course that would be along with RIV and potentially VDH and Poly tower and any other new resorts that come on line between now and then.

So, today, when resale can be used pretty much everythere, that may Not be the case in 15 years.…and that unknown could create a drop in resale.

My point is that I don’t think anyone should buy assuming past performance in resale is a given moving forward with DVC changes.

I agree, as O14 dwindles it is less valuable. I would buy 2042 right now planning to sell, but I think in a few years, you need to buy planning to run the clock out. And poor SSR after 2042 is a big question mark. But that's a long time away, longer than I plan to hold. If OP plans to hold for a long time, the answer is just BLT, IMO. Not much more expensive and longer contract.

My opinion might change is Poly2 or DLT is O14. I think that would be a major gameplan change and would indicate and overall strategy shift, as I thought VGF2 did as well.

In what way? Value?
In 2042, Disney gets most of the OKW points back (maybe?), so it's sort of still in play. But there are lots of extended owners, so it's still in the system. I guess OKW can undeclare some points, or Disney can just use its OKW points and sell it cash, and have less inventory in the DVC system? I think it's fair to say OKW is a giant cluster. VB, BW, BC, HHI, BR are all just gone at once. No one knows what Disney will do with all of this prime (and not so prime) real estate.

SSR is a massive resort with 14M points. Poly has 4, BLT has almost 6. I think VGF is about 5 now, CCV 3, AKL 8. So SSR is out weighted in the system and it could be difficult to book outside of SSR. Add in the RIV1, RIV2, RIV 3, and Polyflections people also booking into VGF/BLT and there's even less availability. The longer you plan to hold, the more important it is to get a longer contract. Planning to hold SSR after 2042 might not work well at all.

Aulani is similarly problematic with 11M points.

Something like a 5M point Poly tower still within the O14 might really change my opinion.

So SSR is out weighted in the system and it could be difficult to book outside of SSR.
If you own SSR, and are content staying there, and hold it until the very end, does any of this matter?

If you own SSR, and are content staying there, and hold it until the very end, does any of this matter?
Wild speculation, I'd still spend a little more and get something that will last longer, like BLT. That contract will have value in 2057 and SSR will be worth zero. And SSR booking categories have no value. Even OKW has meaningful categories.

I would have traded in my SSR for BLT/CCV (and I hate BLT/CCV) except I don't want to pay tax on the gain. SSR has gone up too much, and the prices have gotten too close.

Wild speculation, I'd still spend a little more and get something that will last longer, like BLT. That contract will have value in 2057 and SSR will be worth zero. And SSR booking categories have no value. Even OKW has meaningful categories.

I would have traded in my SSR for BLT/CCV (and I hate BLT/CCV) except I don't want to pay tax on the gain. SSR has gone up too much, and the prices have gotten too close.
I got BLT 13 years ago direct already. Back when I bought SSR resale, I got it at double digit prices, because that seemed like a good deal to add on. I was planning on holding it until the end if I was alive. I don't understand what "SSR booking categories have no value means". The main reason we got it was to book more room for less cost.

No. But for someone buying today who plans to sell in 15 years and is concerned or needs resale value to be something to make it work, will care.

And that’s why buying any resale now, IMO, given the moves toward restrictions by DVD should not assume any level of resale value like in the past.

So if one is wondering which would be worth more in 2037, I’d say it’s a toss up and o wouldn’t even count on a high one unless DVD stops the strategy of making resale less valuable.

It’s why we never used resale value in our calculations because it’s an unknown.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter