• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKL Make sure you really like eating there because.................

When I was growing up, we always stayed offsite.

We used our car (of course) and stayed in the parks until we'd had enough and then drove back to our hotel. At this point, yes, there were dozens of places to choose from to eat. After dinner we would go to our hotel, park our car, and go to bed.

If we used this same "method" at AKL, I would have to agree with the points made.

When we stayed there this past labor Day weekend, we did make it a point to eat at Jiko and boma, but our usual on site stay rarely includes eating dinner at our resort.

We usually eat breakfast in the food court (or in our room), eat lunch in the parks, come back for a break (something we didn't do offsite), and then eating dinner at the parks (tons of choices).

We also use the buses. I can't tell you anything about AKL's parking lot, because I never saw it. We valet the car when we got there and never saw it until we left. Bus transportation was great (during a holiday weekend). I had an 8am PS at cindy's- we were there by 7:30.

We are headed back to AKL for our second stay in Jan. The atmosphere created at this resort is second to none. We feel it is an experience all it's own. We do rent a car but have used the busses and found them to be plentiful. The good thing about WDW resorts is the variety and choices! Have fun planning!

Just a thought on your food complaint. At what off site hotel do you have 3 seperate places to eat and a store that sells drinks and snacks as well? I guess you can always eat at Dennys and get a skillet breakfast at the Holiday Inn.

On Room Size, I just stayed at AKL last weekend and we had four adults in the room, no space problems, each couple had their own sink, plenty of storage space so I'm not sure what you were expecting.

On Cost, what at Disney is not expensive? There are multiple ways you can save money (see other posts) much Like I did this weekend when I got the room for $99 a night. It pays to investigate.

On parking, granted I don't like to pay $6 for valet mainly because I've been used to it being free. But on the other hand I can understand why the charge is being done. Also, if you want a real hike to a hotel, park at the boardwalk, that was a long one.

In reply to a few of your comments:
1. I know that many of my cons are not disney specific but I thought they were worth mentioning and I realize that no resort includes milk/juice with refillable mugs but some mommies and daddies might not.

2. Maybe my highschool cafeteria was great, I dont think so but maybe who knows. I just thought Mara wasnt that great.

3. Sure in the grand scheme of things AKL is close to parks, but if I am going to lay out money for the "Disney Magic" I would pick someplace more centrally located within disney. AKL is right next to Animal Kingdom but how many days can you do animal kingdom?

4. After leaving AKL we went and stayed at Vistana Villages on International Drive . I felt it was just as close as AKL to Magic Kingdom and closer to Epcot, MGM and Downtown Disney.

5. With kids I feel EASY is BETTER. Convenience is EASIER. What makes mom and dad's life easier is better. Sometimes we were tired after the parks and it would have been very nice to have wanted to eat at our hotel. I realize that each resort only has a few options, but lets say If I stayed at say the Caribbean Beach resort I definitly would have had closer/more convenient options available.

6. Of course I realize everything is more when you are paying for that Disney magic and I dont mind paying for disney dinners, just wish for the boma and jiko prices there would have been food I love. Again in all fairness, Boma dessert was good. I dont really consider myself a picky eater either.

7. I also realize that a lot of resorts charge for gym, but I dont know if everyone knows this.

8. Maybe if all I did at AKL was get a massage, hang out by the pool sunbathing, sit leisurely at sunset overlook, took naps this resort would have been great but can anyone really have this kind of vacation with little ones?

P.S. I myself feel uncomfortable leaving my son with strangers but the childcare center there did look quite homey, clean and cozy. The woman sitting with the children looked she could be a young grandma watching the children. Kind of like a classroom and livingroom combined. Also it was right next to door leading to pool and restaraunts. I did not use it however so I do not prices or procedure.

9. I forgot to mention the sweet people who meet and greet you as you arrive. The gentleman at the gate was cute and greeted us with "OH great we have been expecting you." And the folks waiting as you pull up to the lobby were fast, helpful and cheery also.

10. You know I felt the people at Vistana Villages were just as nice and cheery as any of the cast members I ran in to at AKL. Sure Vistana doesnt have many food options either but its okay because everything is so close anyway. Vistana had a lovely gym included in my price, a health spa if you wanted a massage (they would even come to your room if you wanted the massage there). They also had beautiful christmas decorations up. Pool had zero entry, heated, waterfall, NO slide however. Actually the pool was huge and there were two hot tubs and a quiet pool. Cute cabanas to sit under. Volleyball area, basketball court that is lit at night. Also thought they had a good parking setup. Did I mention it was a 2br condo with washer dryer and a jacuzzi in the master bedroom. all for about same or less depending on what price you get at akl. I paid 119 a nite at vistana villages with the seventh nite free through hotel kingdom. I paid 154 a nite for savanah view at akl ( but if I would have booked earlier I could have gotten the same akl room for 124). However if your interested here is the web site www.starwood.com LOOK for Vistana Villages on International Drive. There is a another resort called Vistana in Orlando so make sure you are looking at the right one.

In conclusion with my son I wanted easy and convenient. He did love the animals but I think he was happier about the bunk beds than the animals. I just felt you could experience AKL magic in visits rather than sleeping there.

Just to add my 2 cents...

I respect everyone's opinion, and obviously each person has different expectations and likings, so I'm in no way arguing with your observations!

I think a lot of your disappointments could have been averted with better trip planning. There are many resources that describe exactly what you can expect at a particular resort, and you can see the menus for all restaurants on Deb's site. You must know what's important to you and your family and compare your needs to what each resort offers before deciding where to stay.

Case in point: although I've been to WDW two dozen times, this year will be our first stay on site :Pinkbounc yay! Before settling on a hotel, I read everything I could and dismissed some outright. For instance, I don't think I'd like the All Stars (and I'm not starting a debate about the respective merits of the resorts ;) ). My dream would be the Contemporary or GF, but for New Year's Eve they were out of my price range. Then we found the govt. rate at the Swan ($129) and bingo! I know it's not "the same," but it gives me the most bang for my buck. I'm not expecting to be blown away by the hotel, but I do expect to be happy with it, from what I've read.

Going back to each person having different expectations, I never stay around any hotel for long. When my husband and I travel (and we do, a lot and all over), I go to see the sights, not to stay in the hotel. Therefore, room size, decor, restaurants at the hotel are not as important to me as location. This is of course different for others.

Well, that was more like $2 worth :rolleyes: so I'll quit now!

Im going to be staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge this year for the first time. Im a little surprised at the number of people that seem to be unaware that AKL might feel a little "isolated". I think thats kind of the point. This is kind of like the people that were disappointed in their stay at Wilderness Lodge because it had too much of a woodsy feel to it. Thats the point! Theres nothing more unique to all of the disney resorts than their own unique atmosphere that they create. I wouldnt expect a large african safari to be right next to the magic kingdom. To each his own I guess. Before spending tons of money, it might be wise to research the resort before you stay and then people might not be dissappointed in its location when they get there. If you look on any Disneyworld map and see that AKL is a little farther away from everything else, you might not be shocked that the bus transportaion takes a little longer. As far as any of the resort restaurants, I couldnt imagine eating at any of them more than twice during my stay. Theres too many options out there. Just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by latenthart
3. Sure in the grand scheme of things AKL is close to parks, but if I am going to lay out money for the "Disney Magic" I would pick someplace more centrally located within disney. AKL is right next to Animal Kingdom but how many days can you do animal kingdom?

If 3 minutes is going to really make that big of a difference... then might I suggest Disneyland. They're a little bit more compact.

Originally posted by latenthart
4. After leaving AKL we went and stayed at Vistana Villages on International Drive . I felt it was just as close as AKL to Magic Kingdom and closer to Epcot, MGM and Downtown Disney.

Downtown Disney might be the only one that it's closer to... The rest it's almost twice as far...

Disnee Dad Says.................................Thank You Chip and Dale Express!! AKL to MK was 3 minutes longer than Dixie Landings to MK. There is no off site hotel closer to the parks than any onsite. The only exception might be the Hotels on Hotel Circle, but they are semi- on site.
It's not like you can build a great place like AKL in the middle of downtown! We stayed 3 days, and did Boma, and Mara twice. Who eats at their resort all the time? We have spent 12 days at Dixie Landings, and did Boatwright's twice and the food court four times. Three nights at CBR and all we did was one breakfast.
I will say the food court at AKL was lacking, Dixie was better and even All Stars was a little better.
BTW I didn't think Vistana Villages was on International drive, if it is then AKL is closer to any park, than Vistana is just to get to the east gate.

Originally posted by disneefamily
BTW I didn't think Vistana Villages was on International drive.

There's one on 535 that is not to be confused with the one in question, which is on I-Drive

WOW this thread sure has gotten interesting. I will be at AKL in early Feb. and I can't wait. We have always done Disney comando style and this trip is going to be a slower pace. My 72 year old mother is getting a surprise Christmas gift to Disney.

Seems like someone can always find fault in something. I can't pass judgment on AKL but from everything I have read I am in for an unforgetable trip.

Renee

I always thought that all the Disney hotels were the closest to the parks. Maybe I'm wrong since I've never stayed offsite, but I just assumed that Disney would want their hotels to be the closest to everything. One note about AKL's food selection, I think all of the deluxe hotels have smaller selections in terms of self-serve food than the All-Stars or Moderates. Mostly I think this is because they have other full serve restaurants available, and the gift shop usually sells some food products as well. At the All-Stars, however, if the food-court options were sparse then there would be nothing else to choose from, while at AKL if you don't want the quick serve food then you can eat at one of the restaurants. This may not be exactly the option people want, but if you're really not satisfied with their offerings then there's always the park food or stopping at another resort on the way back from a park.

Instead of writing my own thread, I thought I would just add onto this one with my 2 cents...

I liked the fact that all of the AKL buses were for our resort alone and there was only one bus stop. It gave me the feeling that the ride was shorter than our last stay at PO. Still - if you plan to go to another resort at night - rent a car - it is sooooo much easier than switching buses.

My kids LOVED their bunk beds - personally I think they should offer this option in the moderate resorts as well (or perhaps just CB since it has the largest rooms). My boys would stay here for the bunks alone. The rooms are definately larger than the moderates but the furniture was also a bit heavier/larger so the open space in the room seemed about the same.

The parking situation was ok - of course we were there at a quiet time of the year - but on rainy nights my hubby dropped us off at the door.

Boma was good - but it is highway robbery that they charge you $11 for kids. My younger son hated everything offered and our CM got a burger for him from Mara - it was a very expensive burger. Breakfast at Boma was very good but I can't stuff myself at breakfast and then go touring at the parks. If your kids are under 7 and not adventurous, Boma may not be the best choice. We did not eat at Jiko.

The food at Mara was ok. My son hated the mac & cheese (not enough like Kraft for him), my other son ate the kids chicken strips for dinner - but no kid sized burger and no Mickey waffles for breakfast! I did find it very annoying that the only enterance to Mara is from the pool (there is no interior entrance.) Normally, this would not be an issue but we got 2-3 inches of rain in one day and I really did not want to go outside to get a cup of coffee.

My boys loved the pool and the slide. I thought it was pretty but not as fantastic as the new pool at the Poly. The 2 hot tubs are really nice - the larger one was definately hotter than the smaller. It was also crawling with kids in the evenings while the other was definately more adult.

We had a standard view room (5111) with a solid wall to the balcony. It was fine. The resort was packed for the weekend we arrived there so there was not option for a free upgrade (although we were offered the chance to pay $80 more a night to get savannah view and declined) Honestly, while we enjoyed watching the animals from the public viewing areas - we were not going to modify our park attendance to stay and watch the animals so the standard view was fine for us (plus our rooms were only $109/night)

if you plan to go to another resort at night - rent a car - it is sooooo much easier than switching buses.

You know, we stayed a long weekend at AKL and one night we went to do something at polly - it was easy to get there, just go to MK and hop the boat or monorail. We did take a cab back though, it was only like 10 bucks, I think with tip. So if you are only planning one or two trips to another resort, it is probably cheaper and easier to just hop in a cab.

I'm a big proponant of taking advantage of the resort you are at while you are there though - but then we really liked Jiko. I tend to think of the resorts as MK area or Epcot area (our home resorts are wilderness lodge and beach club), and so akl is a different kind of thing, not being either area, but I think it is great for a long weekend or something like that.

DR

I have never stayed at AKL (in about 50 days I will have first hand experience:Pinkbounc :bounce: ) BUT I just don't see the beef with riding on a bus for 20 minutes. We always find the bus ride a great place to relax, talk, or plan the day. As long as I don't have to drive I'm happy. Some resorts are closer but so big they have a ton of bus stops just to get around the resort.

AKL appears to be like nothing I will ever experience. (Africa is not in my foreseeable vacation future) I can't wait to experience the sights, smell, tastes, and feel of Africa.

If all I was concerned about was how much time I had in the parks I would stay at the All Stars and save a ton of money. Maybe I will feel differently after our Feb. trip but right now I am bursting at the seams to experience AKL.

Renee

We eat most of our dinners at the parks. Usually Epcot because it's open late. We ate at Boma's when we were at AKL and loved it but wouldn't want it (or any restaurant) for five nights in a row.

I think the remoteness is part of the charm. You wouldn't find an African Savannah downtown.

We stayed at Polynesian and BC this year and POFQ another year and feel like Gillian, that having direct buses everywhere was much faster than sharing with other resorts. AKL is the only resort that doesn't share buses. I wasn't all that impressed with the monorail from the Poly unless we were going to MK. That was wonderful, but you don't go to the MK everyday. Even to Epcot it took as long, if not longer, if you include the walk to the monorail station, than the direct buses at AKL. Beach Club was horrible except for getting to Epcot. I believe they are the last of three resorts to be picked up. One morning trying to get to MGM, the first two buses that stopped were full! Finally someone got angry and asked the driver to radio and let them know the situation.

Just my humble opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter