AKL Lodge Savanna View recommendations?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by disneyvoice, Feb 16, 2017.

1. disneyvoice

disneyvoice DIS Veteran

We are staying at AKL for the first time in July. We have a Savanna View Room. I have read through various site descriptions of the best locations to try to figure out what I should request in terms of location but I am totally confused.

It seems like there are Deluxe Savannah View rooms? That wasn't an option when we made our reservation so I want to make sure I don't accidentally make a request for a location that is actually only available for those staying in a Deluxe Savannah View room.

My husband has a Masters in Animal Science and he is very excited about being able to see the animals. What should I request in order to ensure a nice, clear view of the animals on the Savannah?

2. hakepb

hakepb DIS Veteran

Are you staying in a DVC Villa (studio, 1BR, etc)? All DVC villas have "Deluxe" in the title, regardless of view category.

If so, which building? Jambo or Kidani?

3. Anthony1971

Anthony1971 DIS Veteran

The savannahs actual have different animal on them and they will out at different times mainly when they put the food on the savannah you are overlooking ... Barring this there is no bad savannah my suggestion if you want to be up close would be to request a lower floor. The higher floors are nice but you will be looking down as in floors down... we own DVC and like Jambo house but the rooms are only the 5th floor when we stayed at Kadani a few times we were on a lower floor and I felt the view was better.... around 5 and later is the best time to see the animals from the main viewing area off the lobby and their will be guides there he can talk to that are very informative. They also have a night viewing with night vision area near the pool this however this is only for 1-2 hours a night (see the resort schedule when you get there) the guides there are also very nice to speak with and will share a lot of information..

4. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  5. steg

steg Mouseketeer

Lower floor, near lobby

We had an upper floor room last time we stayed at kidani which diminished our overall view of the savannah due to the fact that most of what we could see from a distance were treetops. We requested near lobby but were about halfway through the left side of kidani village 4th floor.

We got to see far less animals than we did on previous visits but still some, near lobby should ideally get you a room close to the observation decks which seem to have the most animals around them.

Another cool thing that can happen is you can get a view of one of the small Savannahs that are on the back side of the resort, having views of both the main savannah and one of the smaller savannahs id prefer the smaller savannah, more animals and cooler set, we had an awesome lively warthogs on the smaller Savannah along with okapi and numerous deer/antelope things and there were only 4-6 blocks of villa/studios that had the view of that particular Savannah.

6. Marc A.

Marc A. DIS Veteran

Make sure you get a chance to eat at Sanaa. You get a good view of some animals while eating at a top 5 wdw restaurant. IMHO

7. Zife

Zife Mouseketeer

I always request Arusha Savanna, and have loved the view every time. But, as others have said, even if you don't get a good view from the room, you can get a great view from the many viewing platforms. I was especially fond of the night viewings with the goggles (as long as you get a good CM guiding you).