AKL for Christmas??

DizneyNuttY

Earning My Ears
We are staying at the WL from December 18-23. I just learned that I may be able to stay an extra 3 nights, and was thinking of trying another resort.

How is AKL for Christmas? I am intrigued by the animals and the decor, but we all hated Boma (for dinner at least) and have not much interest in Jiko. How is the food court?

We can get a Savannah view room for $210, which is almost 50% off the holiday rate. It seems like such a great deal and I think my kids would LOVE the animals.

Do you think we will like AKL at Christmas?

Thanks!

We were at AKL pre christmas and it is nice and they have decorations and all but not as extravigant as I had expected. Disney does everything so big I was expecting to much I think, it was nice and all, a few trees in the lobby, garland on the rails but nothing spectacular.

AKL is such a beautiful, wonderful hotel... I can only imagine it being more so at Christmas-- especially having seen the photos!! I adored the rooms and the themeing and being able to see animals all over the place. The pool is very nice as well!!

We enjoyed Mara, the CS place at AKL, but we also very, very much enjoyed Boma (its Christmas Eve dinner for us this year!). Mara offers more exotic type foods like an African Stew in a bread bowl and Chicken Tandoori Pizza (yum!!!) but also has your traditional chicken tenders, regular pizza, etc..

We didn't stay there, but visited several times last year around Christmas and loved it. The tree-lighting ceremony (I think they did it nightly) was amazing. African singers (CM's) perform in front of the tree, they let the little kids sit right down in front then after the tree was lit, they had the kids stand up and took a group photo in front of the tree with all the CM's. A half hour or so later, we stopped by the check-in desk to pick up our FREE copy of the photo. I think it was a 5x7 in a cardboard holder and, I repeat, it was FREE. I'd stay there again at Christmas or any other time in a heartbeat.

But then, Boma is my family's absolute favorite restaurant, and we could eat there every night of our trip. If you'd be happy eating CS food (Mara does have plenty of standard fare) or eating most of your meals elsewhere, I'd definitely give AKl a shot.

We stayed at the AKL last December. The resort was nicely decorated and we enjoyed seeing the animals each day. However, my wife and I loved the decorations at the Epcot resorts. I would stay the additional 3 nights at one of these resorts. There's so much to do there and everything is within walking distance. :)

We stayed @ POR last year Nov 28-Dec 4 & AKL Del Sav for 3 more nights ( one so we could go to MVMCP a second time,, I would not stay there again as our del sav rm ( 5 people) was not worth $300 + per night---- BUt we had a great time and the kids loved it-- it just wasn't worth 3 times a water view at POR,, ther dec's were nice but only in the lobby, the food court seems like your in the basement of a bomb shelter,, w/ no view, walk in pool and area is great, unlike others- bus to MK seemed to take forever, food prices were very expensive.. BUt we still had a great time---- seeing the animals has more to do w/ where they feed them than anything,,, 5th flr rooms don't have a great view as you are looking thru the trees....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter