AKL disappointment

Peter Pirate 2

<font color=red>I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I
Note: I notice my title is incorrect! I meant Animal Kingdom, not the lodge.

Went to AK this weekend and I left totally deflated. I think the animal areas are being totally ignored.

Many, many areas supposedly animal holding areas seemed empty. Most of the animal areas seemed very dirty or neglected, landscaping wise, in comparison to years gone by.

There were no zebras in the 'little red' area. Embarrassing.

I did talk to a nice and knowledgable CM in the gorilla area (though she wasn't very optimistic as to AK's future) and I was happy to see the abundance of the primates on view. But overall this park, once my favorite, is going downhill fast. Sea World now gets my vote as best wildlife park easily.

In closing I have to say that Avatarland is very, very (very, very) important to the success of this park.

I'm not a frequent visitor to AK park, maybe once a year. We were at AK park last week and I didn't notice any animal areas dirty or neglected :confused3 The Safari was great. I didn't miss little red or the zebras. The gorilla area was mostly empty as the gorillas were all sleeping when we were in their area. We also stayed at AKL and the animal areas were just wonderful.

Went to AKL this weekend and I left totally deflated. I think the animal areas are being totally ignored.

Many, many areas supposedly animal holding areas seemed empty. Most of the animal areas seemed very dirty or neglected, landscaping wise, in comparison to years gone by.

I did talk to a nice and knowledgable CM in the gorilla area (though she wasn't very optimistic as to AK's future) and I was happy to see the abundance of the primates on view. But overall this park, once my favorite, is going downhill fast. Sea World now gets my vote as best wildlife park easily.

In closing I have to say that Avatarland is very, very (very, very) important to the success of this park.

How exactly is this related to a rumor? When was the last time you were at AK to be able to compare what was and what is?

I didn't find the landscaping to be an issue the last time I was there, if anything it looked a bit more natural as things have grown in over the years. As far as the animals go, not even normal zoos have every animal out every day. There's any number of reasons, like weather, health, refurbishment to an area, that an animal might not be out on display. Maybe you just went on a bad day.

I thought it had been pretty well discussed over the boards that the zebras had been removed from that area as they were becoming a hazard to themselves and will be replaced with another animal soon. I know I've seen at least 4 or 5 threads about that issue alone and I'm sure it's been mentioned on other AK threads.

Avatarland isn't going to help any of the issues that you've listed. It might bring more people into the park but that doesn't fix what you've named as problems.

Was just at AK 4/19 with my family. I have been to MK at least 45 times, EP 25, DHS 12, and this last trip to AK was only my 2nd!!! It didn't take long to realize why either. Passage ways are tight, it's sweltering hot, and the layout it just terrible. Not knowing what the actual concept is suppose to be leaves me struggling to compare it to anything else. The park, by default, pulls in Guests but I believe if this exact park sat outside of WDW it would be closed by now. It needs investment and Imagineering. Perhaps Avatar land will help, not sure though. After all, that movie franchise is pretty much anti-corporate America, the same Corporate America that reduced AK to what it is. A friend had an interesting idea to expand it include a Sea land, perhaps a smaller version of DisneySea (although this wouldn't sit well with Anheuser-Busch/SeaWorld but who cares, they're foreign owned now), or they could throw a lot of roller coasters at it (i.e. copy Busch Gardens, LOL!). They need to do something and there are some random rumors that AK will get attention once the new Fantasyland Project is wrapped up in 2014. I will say the Animal Kingdom Lodge and Villas is very nicely done!! At least the guys & gals in the "resort design" team still showed up to work. :cool2:

We were at the AK in Dec 2012 and found it to be full of varmints, clean and well kept, just as in past trips. :thumbsup2

It is a wonderful animals park. We would not compare Sea World to AK ,its like apples and oranges. Except for the animal shows, Sea world has never impressed us, but we are taking 2 grand kids there next year, so we will see.

AKK

Went to AKL this weekend and I left totally deflated. I think the animal areas are being totally ignored.

~This is horrible! So sorry to hear this, I hope Disney addresses what you described quickly, I love AK!!! Thanks for the update and I agree Animal Kingdom needs more *quality* attractions and experiences.

We were at the AK in Dec 2012 and found it to be full of varmints, clean and well kept, just as in past trips. :thumbsup2

It is a wonderful animals park. We would not compare Sea World to AK ,its like apples and oranges. Except for the animal shows, Sea world has never impressed us, but we are taking 2 grand kids there next year, so we will see.

AKK
~Thank you for sharing your experience, Tonka! Great post! I wouldn't compare Sea World to Animal Kingdom, either. :goodvibes

I kind of figured on most of these responses.

But, AK has been my favorite park as I love animals. We visit every other month.

I am by profession a landscaper and I can tell you the scope of upkeep over the entire park is being held to a different standard than before, including the safari region.

The walkway animal exhibits are either overgrown or have had plants die and not been replaced. A lot of the animals either have total coverage from guests view or are no longer there. Either way the focus on a quality habitat is not what it once was.

Horace, I agree that AKL seems relatively the same regarding upkeep and that is a good and interesting point.

Re: the zebras, I was simply pointing out there is still nothing there.:confused3

As to AK vs.SW, Sea World is amazing at showcasing their sea animals. There are a lot of areas to view them from many perspectives that were well thought out, executed and maintained. JMO.

It's ok for everyone to disagree and enjoy AKL. But at some point in time those rose colored glasses will slip down your nose a bit and you'll notice something amiss. I certainly don't want to bash AK. I want to love it as I have in the past but IMO it is in lousy shape at this point of time.

But, AK has been my favorite park as I love animals. We visit every other month.

I am by profession a landscaper and I can tell you the scope of upkeep over the entire park is being held to a different standard than before, including the safari region.

The walkway animal exhibits are either overgrown or have had plants die and not been replaced. A lot of the animals either have total coverage from guests view or are no longer there. Either way the focus on a quality habitat is not what it once was.

Horace, I agree that AKL seems relatively the same regarding upkeep and that is a good and interesting point.

Re: the zebras, I was simply pointing out there is still nothing there.:confused3

As to AK vs.SW, Sea World is amazing at showcasing their sea animals. There are a lot of areas to view them from many perspectives that were well thought out, executed and maintained. JMO.

It's ok for everyone to disagree and enjoy AKL. But at some point in time those rose colored glasses will slip down your nose a bit and you'll notice something amiss. I certainly don't want to bash AK. I want to love it as I have in the past but IMO it is in lousy shape at this point of time.

I find that statement rude and insulting!.. You say its ok to have a different opinion and then you come back with *Gee I expected these opinions* and then tell us all if we disagree, were to stupid to take off make believe glasses.

Shame were all so inferior to you!

AKK

I think Horace was trying to point out that you keep using AKL. AKL is the hotel. AK is the park. As for the zebras on the Safari ride, they did have them out but they were not adjusting well and had to be moved. Personally, I haven't witnessed what you are describing. Animals aren't predictable. They come out when they are ready.

I hope this is not the case when my family goes in May/June. Last year when went to AK and on the Safari we seemed to see more animals out and about than we have in the previous 2 trips to AK.
I would say the only thing we noticed is that AK did not seemed to be as well *up kept* as MK, HS or Epcot is cleanliness on the pathways.

Sorry for sounding insulting but when I posted here regularly with the now long gone gang "rose colored glasses" was simply a term used to describe one side of the debate and believe it or not I was one of the top "rose colored glasses" posters.

Times have changed but I never took offense to being called that because it was true, I was a Disney defender But I always listened to the other side as it made me question my beliefs (a good thing) and yes disney eventually did things that were beyond my personal breaking point and then some of the other issues I'd argued so hard against really seemed to have merit...it was a very confusing time.:confused3

I think my time too has come to back away from these discussions as I don't seem to be civil enough for this group plus Lockedoutlogiclogic always says what I think much better than me!:worship:

Sorry for sounding insulting but when I posted here regularly with the now long gone gang "rose colored glasses" was simply a term used to describe one side of the debate and believe it or not I was one of the top "rose colored glasses" posters.

Times have changed but I never took offense to being called that because it was true, I was a Disney defender But I always listened to the other side as it made me question my beliefs (a good thing) and yes disney eventually did things that were beyond my personal breaking point and then some of the other issues I'd argued so hard against really seemed to have merit...it was a very confusing time.:confused3

I think my time too has come to back away from these discussions as I don't seem to be civil enough for this group plus Lockedoutlogiclogic always says what I think much better than me!:worship:

It's not that I think you're rude, it just seems you depress me every time I read your posts. Even if I do wear these infamous rose-colored glasses, so what? Let me wear them. Don't be a debby downer on every board you post on. Happy posts are good things too! :goodvibes

In regards to the Zebras, unfortunately they had health problems and it hasn't been working out with the "grand zebra finale" on KS. From what I've heard [From a Safari CM friend] they will be filling that area with some sort of antelope species.

In regards to the Zebras, unfortunately they had health problems and it hasn't been working out with the "grand zebra finale" on KS. From what I've heard [From a Safari CM friend] they will be filling that area with some sort of antelope species.

They already have another animal in there. I forget the name of them. We went 3 weeks ago and they were there.

It's not that I think you're rude, it just seems you depress me every time I read your posts. Even if I do wear these infamous rose-colored glasses, so what? Let me wear them. Don't be a debby downer on every board you post on. Happy posts are good things too! :goodvibes

yeah...i get that alot too:lmao:

listen...we all have our ups and down days...pete is like the "kingda ka" of ups and downs (current world record holder)...

But i usually agree with what i believe to be his principle: Disney...especially at WDW...has GOT to be held accountable moving forward for the mistakes and bad taste decisions they are starting to make with more regularity...just as they have ALWAYS gotten the benefit of the doubt from past good deeds and dedication principles that were axed in a cost accounting move years ago...

No really...the problem with "i'm sure it will be GREAT! only 641 days till Art of Animation with DD, DW, DH, DMV, and DOA!"
...is...that disney has really jacked prices and been very strategically squeezing people into their "streamlined" vacation policies to maximize profits over the last ten years in particular...and they use the "happy thoughts" as a massive PR shield to do some really low class, corporatist type stuff.

The dining plan is really offensive to me as an example of this...the new "booking" of minute by minute schedules in amusement parks (for gods sakes) that they are as we speak starting to roll out is going to build on this and go way over to the bad side...

And its not just WDW that has the issues for me. Disney (along with Apple) has gone "all in" in China and they get way too much of a pass on this. Which i don't believe is in any way to bring the chinese people into the fold as they would have you think it. Its about favorable trade deals for sweatshop junk that they ship to their parks and buddies at target and walmart around the world.

I mean...i know its a global thing now and i'm spitting in the wind...but being brought up as an American can i REALLY support this? I mean isn't it really against our fiber and whats left that we have deep down in our core?

I don't know...maybe (well for me DEFINITELY) we over think this kinda stuff sometimes? I blame Pittsburgh:grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter