AK, where to go first

kpgclark

<font color=339900>There's nothing hum drum about
We (two adults) will arrive at AK tomorrow probably 20 min before opening and have the following FP 9:55 Exp Everest, 1:50 Na’vi, 4:30 Kilimanjaro. We are thinking of going to FoP right before closing. My question is where should we go when entering the park to try to knock off some rides? Thanks! We’ve only been to AK once and it was probably 15 years go.

I'd suggest going straight to FoP if you really want to ride it. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. :D If you really don't want to do that, the next fastest rides to fill up you already have FP+ for, such as Na'vi and EE. So perhaps go to the Safari?

Your FP+ times are really spread out. Do you have plans to fill the gaps in between? If it were me, I'd push them much closer together.

Because we are staying off site that’s all that was available for us to select. They are all sold out now.

Looking at the weather, it is going to be warm tomorrow - high around 88. I would do the Safari early. The late afternoon may see most of the animals sleeping. It should not be a bad wait as most go to Pandora. I would then do Dinosaur and you have covered your big ones with the FP you already have, except for Kali River. Your choice to when you want to get soaked.

Because we are staying off site that’s all that was available for us to select. They are all sold out now.

We are offsite people too. You will have zero problem modifying those tomorrow if you'd like. Na'vi may be a big tough, but with some work I'm sure you can do it. Push EE back to 9am, try to get Na'vi back to 10am and Safari to 11am. If you can't move Na'vi, leave it and then move Safari to 11am. I totally disagree with the above post about seeing animals sleeping in late afternoon on the safari. It is 100% random as to what you will and won't see. We've had some spectacular, amazing Safaris in the afternoon. We've had some duds in the morning, and vice versa.

Sorry, just realized in my initial post that I said to go to Safari first, but you already have a FP+ for it.

I'd do dinosaur and Kali if you want to ride either. Or you could change your NRJ FP to something else and head straight to NRJ when the park opens

If you really want to do FoP at closing (which isn't a bad strategy), I would head to Kilmanjaro Safaris first and then switch that safari 4:30 pm FP+ to something else right when your EE FP+ window ends (if anything is available). That way you'll be able to pick up more FP+ after your Nav'i FP+.

I'd do Safari then Everest standby then ride again with FP (we really like Everest). I'm not a huge fan of Kali--it isn't that long a ride and I got soaked (like I jumped in a pool soaked), and had to walk around in wet clothes/shoes for a few hours. No fun.

My first thought would be to RD FOP, and get there 30 minutes before RD. It should be worth it.

You might be able to get FOP and NRJ in WELL before your Everest window closes.
And from there, modify, modify, modify.... You might be able to score a same day FOP - it's worth it. Your FP time spread should help you if you are flexible to modify. With everyone clamoring to Pandora for FOP and NRJ, the other attractions are easier to get same day fp's for. Modify, modify, modify - bring a charger!

I'd do Safari then Everest standby then ride again with FP (we really like Everest). I'm not a huge fan of Kali--it isn't that long a ride and I got soaked (like I jumped in a pool soaked), and had to walk around in wet clothes/shoes for a few hours. No fun.
DH and I did Safari last week at rope drop on a day trip. I could not get a FP and the wait at rope drop was very short. It may have been the best Safari experience we have ever had. Lots of animals were up and about and our guide was great. We no longer ride Kali. I guess I just have bad luck on this ride, but I got tired of getting soaking wet every time while everyone else thought it was very funny :(

Yes, you may get extremely soaked on Kali, just FYI. Then again, you may get away with just a few drops. If you're facing backwards down the big drop, hold tight for the big wall of water to crash onto you. We love it...but then again we won't ride it if temps are below 85 degrees. It's the only ride in all of WDW where you can truly get soaked.

I hate to backtrack.. so I would 1st go to dinosaur, (unless you are interested in seeing characters, then I'd go see minnie and mickey 1st in their Christmas gear and then dinosaur)then head to your EE fp .. you pretty much have until 11 to get there. Then maybe do the maharajah trail, followed by lunch at yak and yeti or travel over to pandora and eat at Satuli... then toy will already be there for your Navi FP (you have until 250 to ride) after that head over to Africa and watch the lion king at 4pm, that is over at 430, and you can go right onto the safari by 445ish and beat the sunset. From there you are on your own until you get closer to park close, but there are street performers, shops, places to snack, etc... you can keep busy pretty easily in AK!! Sorry this was so latw.. hope it helps!!

We counter clockwise the park and pop back and forth for fast passes. With exception of Pandora you can be anywhere in the park in minutes if you’re mobile. We prefer Pandora at night so we always do that the last 2-3 hours before closing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts