AK value vs Bronz Zoo-update

PKS44

DIS Veteran
Some time back we had a little debate over the half day park issue at the Nahtazoo known as Disney's Animal Kingdom....I tried the Search, but I cannot locate the old thread...on said thread someone...I believe it was Mr. DisneyKidds claimed that admission to the Bronx Zoo was around $30.. .When I posted the current winter rates for admission ($8)- and clearly stated that the summer rates might be higher but were not posted anywhere--- Mr Kidds made accusations that I was intentionally misleading people and the the summer rates were much higher (he recalled recently paying around $30)---and argued that the "value" for AK as compared to his mythological Bronx Zoo admission of $30 was pretty good, etc, etc....so here are the facts:

the Bronx Zoo spring and summer admission rates are now posted on the internet for any and all to see :

http://bronxzoo.com/bz-hours_and_rates/bz-hours_and_rates_spring/

The adult admission is $11- a far cry from the $30 claimed by Mr Kidds and even if you buy all the extras you can get it all for $19...so---while no one would argue that the Bronz Zoo is anything equal to DAK...One has to wonder if the AK is worth somewhere between 2.6 to 4.5 more in "entertainment" value...this question can be answered differently by different people but the FACT in question was the cost of admission at the Bronx Zoo...in the interest of preventing further false and misleading information from spreading across the Internet the above facts about admission to one of our nation's leading zoos is provided.

Paul

That one still got you going, huh? ;). I believe the Pay One Price (POP) option was something new last year, or possibly the year before. Our last trip was before that. Full up with all items added it was $24. Add in a camel ride and the total at the time was a shade under $30. I stand by my info. Even now, at $19 plus a possible camel ride for a low $20's total...................well, about $30 is closer than $8. :tongue:. To have compared $8 to AK admission was just silly and proved nothing. Even your current $11 is misleading if you are trying to compare to AK - you shouldn't even put that out there as it is apples to oranges. So if you were to go and someone told you it would be 'about $30' and another person told you it would be $8, and you spent $22 - who would you say was closer?

Thanks for posting the updated info, Paul. Though its understandable why DK went with the $30 figure at the time.

Originally posted by DisneyKidds
That one still got you going, huh? ;).

No - the facts that were not available before are now available.

Originally posted by DisneyKidds
I believe the Pay One Price (POP) option was something new last year, or possibly the year before. Our last trip was before that. Full up with all items added it was $24. Add in a camel ride and the total at the time was a shade under $30. I stand by my info

What you believe and what you stand by is not the issue....You say that it added up to $24..before, you were adamant that it was $30...now it's down to $24... You say you believe that the Pay one Price is new...you say that a camel ride costs such and such...what we are presenting on this thread is the facts...not your recollections and beliefs,(which by your own admission (pun intended) was less than what you said before)...What would be nice is if you could substantiate these beliefs and claims with documentary proof...that is all I did. I posted the available documentary facts for all to access on the Internet...this clearly shows your statements were wrong/false. Other claims remain unsubstantiated and unproven.. $8 is the winter admission rate. Period. I posted the exact information as it was known on the Internet....The question is one of facts-how much is it to walk in the gate at AK vs the Bronz Zoo-- NOT how much is it if a family buys every extra thing- that is not a fair comparison either...different families will do different things in both parks...in one they choose what they pay extra for...in the other they are charged the exact same rate even if they just want to experience the animal exhibits. The point is that one can go to the Bronz Zoo and have a FULL day of entertainment without doing all those extras (it is possible by the "DisneyKidds formula" for how long it takes to enjoy the various attractions at a given park) and spend only $11 to get in. People can do less and skip attractions or rush through them---sure, BUT they are not doing justice to all the park has to offer even just the parts available for general admission...does this sound familiar????? The fact is that no one has to spend anywhere near $30 for a one day admission to the Bronx Zoo. No one gets into AK for much less than $50 (one day price)--please let's not go off on a tangent with Park hoppers, etc.

Paul

Maybe it would be better to compare AK prices to the San Diego zoo? Now, that zoo is pricey! Or even to the excellent National Zoo where we paid nothing at all. :confused:

Please forgive my ignorance, but WHY would you want to compare the Bronx Zoo to any other form of entertainment? It's outrageously inadequate. Far be it for me to compare the National Zoo or AK to an "authentic natural environment" but the Bronx zoo is downright horrible. I can't think of a single thing we enjoyed about it when we lived in NYC. Even the Central Park zoo was better. My worst memory, scorched onto my retinas, is watching buffalo grazing in front of a backdrop of government project housing buildings. I wanted to poke out my own eyes at the sight! Any money spent visiting that place was money ill spent, in my opinion. Don't feed the beast!
Cheers,
Andrew

What you believe and what you stand by is not the issue....You say that it added up to $24..before, you were adamant that it was $30...now it's down to $24... You say you believe that the Pay one Price is new...you say that a camel ride costs such and such...what we are presenting on this thread is the facts...not your recollections and beliefs,(which by your own admission (pun intended) was less than what you said before)...What would be nice is if you could substantiate these beliefs and claims with documentary proof...that is all I did. I posted the available documentary facts for all to access on the Internet...this clearly shows your statements were wrong/false. Other claims remain unsubstantiated and unproven.. $8 is the winter admission rate. Period. I posted the exact information as it was known on the Internet....The question is one of facts-how much is it to walk in the gate at AK vs the Bronz Zoo-- NOT how much is it if a family buys every extra thing- that is not a fair comparison either...different families will do different things in both parks...in one they choose what they pay extra for...in the other they are charged the exact same rate even if they just want to experience the animal exhibits. The point is that one can go to the Bronz Zoo and have a FULL day of entertainment without doing all those extras (it is possible by the "DisneyKidds formula" for how long it takes to enjoy the various attractions at a given park) and spend only $11 to get in. People can do less and skip attractions or rush through them---sure, BUT they are not doing justice to all the park has to offer even just the parts available for general admission...does this sound familiar????? The fact is that no one has to spend anywhere near $30 for a one day admission to the Bronx Zoo. No one gets into AK for much less than $50 (one day price)--please let's not go off on a tangent with Park hoppers, etc.
Nope - I guess your're right. This issue doesn't still have you going ;). Enjoy your $11 visit to the Bronz Zoo. That will get you in the door - you just won't see any of the good exhibits. Hmmmm......how many attractions does the AK have that you have to pay extra for............? Hmmmm........perhaps none. Anywho, I bow to your superior knowledge regarding the Bronx Zoo and it's offerings and humbly beg for your forgiveness for so misleading the public.

I just hope they don't show up expecting to have a full experience for $8 or $11 because it ain't gonna happen ;) :tongue:.

Back before our first Disney trip, back when our thirteen year old was almost of just barely 1, we had to do an economical vacation. We stayed at my father's New Jersey shore house. We made a day trip to the Popcorn Zoo.

It was the most pathetic place you had ever seen. It cost $2 or 3 to get in and then you bought popcorn to feed the animals. It was an ASPCA zoo. It was filled with rescued, abused, injured and otherwise damaged animals.

They probably had nearly 1,000 animals. They had a brain damaged racoon that came out during the day, a one eyed elephant that only walked to the right, a giraffe missing a leg, and a bunch of people who cared, really dedicated people that wanted to make all their visitors aware of the plight that many exotic animals suffer.

It was a fun day, baby-Jacqui was mesmerized, with lunch for the three of us, $30 total for the day.

Value is difficult to measure.

Just as a little more in the mix --
A few summers ago DH and I paid for membership into the San Diego Zoological Society. I believe it was $75. For that particular promotion, this included OUR admission into the S.D. Zoo and the Wildlife Park for 15 months, plus a free day pass for a guest of our choosing, in addition to numerous coupons and discounts. (Incl unlimited FREE rides on the Skifari at the zoo.)
AND our membership was tax deductable.
I am a DAK fan. However, I know which is the better deal, IMHO if you want to pit $ against $.

If we wanted to speak on a more local level -- The Omaha Zoo is a GREAT zoo. I have had people tell me they rank our zoo right up there with (if not better) than S.D. Zoo. Our family membership -- $60 a year.
http://www.omahazoo.com/
Come to think of it -- they have been rated #1 family attraction more than once I believe by Disney's own magazine. :)

There are so many different facets to this debate, where do I begin? First of all, I think that AK is far too expensive. Until they add more of something, more animals, more entertainment, more rides, it isn't quite worth $50 a day. That said, AK is actually a theme park which features animals rather than a regular zoo. A zoo is all about learning about the animals and their habitats, etc, AK has a spinning roller coaster, mickey and minnie, and a dark ride with dinosaurs. They're quite different. I live pretty close to the national zoo and I must say that it is a disgrace, compared to either the San Diego zoo or AK. The animals live in small concrete enclosures with a few trees to simulate their natural habitat if they're lucky. Real zoos should take a hint from AK, not in the ride aspects but in the animal care aspects. In the case of the National Zoo it is difficult because they depend on money from the government, the Smithsonian institute, and donations from the public as their sole revenue. I think it would make sense to start charging a small admission fee, something along the lines of the Bronx zoo, if it would help improve the animal's living conditions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter