AK or DHS with 2 yr old

mbh0324

Earning My Ears
We are going to DIsney for 4 days in February to celebrate our DD's 2nd bday! We are staying at the GF for the convenience of the monorail. For that reason, we will probably go back an forth between MK and Epcot on Friday and Saturday. On the first day of our trip, we'd like to go to either AK or DHS. Any advice as to which one would be better?

Well, I haven't been to HS yet, but I can tell you that at just under two, my son loved AK, especially Festival of the Lion King and Kilimanjaro Safari.

I would say AK
we have a 5 year old and an 8 year old and find HS gear for a bit older child
the only must do for them at HS is the toy story ride DS (8) liked the star wars stuff but they both really liked AK from the animals to Dinoland there was more for them to do

a warning about "its tough to be a bug" DD is mature and loved all the roller coaster ect the bug one scared the poop out of her she was scared of all movies 3D type rides for the rest of the trip Its worth seeing but I would split up and take turns and not take your little one in
Our friends 7 yr old was scared of it too
Not as bad as DD but by the end he was on the floor under his dads legs
we heard a lot of kids crying and we didn't listen to the warning about it being to much for little ones
We figured since nothing else scared her she would be fine BIG Mistake

I would go with Animal Kingdom. Kilimanjaro Safari is great. :thumbsup2 Although Hollywood Studios is our favorite of the parks, there are still some rides that my 11 and 14 year olds won't go on because they're too scary. ;) Even Toy Story Mania is pretty intense and the lines, even with a fastpass, are long.

While AK is probably DH and my least favorite park, there is a lot more for a toddler to do and enjoy there than at DHS.
The animals on safari or on multiple walking trails, Triceratops ride (like Dumbo), the Boneyard playground, etc.

We went with our 2.5 year old and 11 months to both and we liked Animal Kingdom the better with them. They really enjoyed the animal trails.

We also ignored the advice on it's a tough to be a bug but the kids liked it. We kinda knew our eldest wouldn't have a problem and the baby was a bit to small for it to bother him. Except for one part when he climb up over the top of me in a big hurry and hid, but didn't cry and doesn't seem to have an adversion to bugs. ;)

Kirsten

I will dare to be different LOL I think DHS is a great park for a 2yr old. They have the Playhouse Disney Show, Muppet 3D movie, Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Toy Story Mania (I could be forgetting more). There are TONS of character interactions for the preschool set: Little Einsteins, Handy Manny, Power Rangers, Up, Incredibles, JoJo & Goliath, Woody & Buzz, Cars Mater & Lightening. My dd is now 7 and DHS is her favorite park (next to MK of course :rotfl:)

I will dare to be different LOL I think DHS is a great park for a 2yr old. They have the Playhouse Disney Show, Muppet 3D movie, Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Toy Story Mania (I could be forgetting more). There are TONS of character interactions for the preschool set: Little Einsteins, Handy Manny, Power Rangers, Up, Incredibles, JoJo & Goliath, Woody & Buzz, Cars Mater & Lightening. My dd is now 7 and DHS is her favorite park (next to MK of course :rotfl:)

Ooooh i did forget about playhouse disney the boys did love that. And the playground.

Ah do them both. :)

Kirsten

I would do AK. We have a 2 year old too and if I had to pick one, AK would be it. Although DHS does have the playhouse Disney show and TSM ride, which look great, there doesn't seem to be as much for a 2 year old. You probably won't know till you get there if your little one likes the characters, so that wouldn't be a factor for me. Either way though I'm sure you'll have fun! :)

AK hands down... there is a lot of room for the preschoolers to walk and enjoy the animals!

Since neither park is a heavy attraction park for the youngest visitors, at least AK gives you the ability to do a couple (the safari is a huge hit!).

DHS has very little to do; just Playhouse Disney and Muppets 3D, and the idea doesn't suit me to try to get my 2 year old to sit and watch shows all day.

We did DHS because DS is crazy about Cars... really, we did a 1/2 day to cover Block Party Bash, seeing Lightning and Mater, and Playhouse Disney. DS got bored after just that and we left.

I vote Animal Kingdom.

We went last October and our 3 year old LOVED Animal Kingdom. To be honest we really didn't give Hollywood Studios a fair shake but when we showed up at opening there wasn't anything to do so we did a breakfast and left. (We were leaving at noon. Line at the new Toy Story ride at opening was DREADFUL went down the whole street)

Kelsey LOVED the safari ride, but she is huge animal fanitic so we knew she would. We went straight there got fastpasses then rode. When the ride was over we did the animal trek back to the begining of the ride and used our fast pass to ride again. My husband, daughter, and I loved the Nemo show although it was a tad too long and Kelsey started to get antsy. This time I want to see Lion King.

Yak & Yeti was awesome. The waitress was awesome with Kelsey. She was getting tired since we went on day 3 and the hostess moved our reservation time up without any issues. She brought Kelsey's food out as soon as it was done so she would sit still. Another waiter asked her all about the park when he had free time to keep her interested. Without even having to ask she noticed Kelsey was done with dinner and trying to get away while we were eating our food and brought her dessert (we were on the dining plan). Kelsey let us finish in peace and then shared our dessert. Yak & Yeti was my picky husband's favorite eat the whole trip

Two warnings:

1. The dino land was dreadful because of the carnival style games. Kelsey screamed how she wanted to play them and didn't want to do anything else there because the games were disracting. I refuse to play $5 for her to win a 30 cent prize.

2. Kelsey rode Snow White's Adventure, Pirates of the Carribean, and did Mickey's Philharmagic with no problems. She FREAKED in "It's a Bugs Life". She lasted maybe 5 minutes and still talks about how scary it was. (Although she still says how Snow White was scary as well, which it was) After that we couldn't get her to go into anymore movies. We tried to go to "Muppet's 3D" and she threw a fit.

I will second this - DHS is a must for us. There's also the beauty and the beast show. My kids would spend the entire day in the honey i shrunk the kids playground if we let them.

There are a few things that a child that age would like at DHS. Playhouse Disney, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, maybe MuppetVision 3D. If you can only chose one, go to AK.

Or maybe, if you get park hoppers, you can split your time between the two parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter