Airport security

minnietoo

Mouseketeer
Watching TV this AM - and the airport security is now very strict - virtually no carryons - and what you are allowed must be in a clear plastic bag.

Airport delays (for departing flights) at LAX state that you should arrive 3 hours early.

Virtually all flights are delayed (in and out) of virtually all airports due to the shut down in England.

Those travelling soon - may have to re-pack to make everything check-in.

I am so grateful they were caught before they got on the planes. A job well done by England's security!

One thing to note about carryons, no liquids or gels are allowed (except medication w/ documentation and baby formula). No sunscreen, shampoo, lotion, hair gel, contact solution, drinks, etc.

I had no idea what you were talking about, so went to the online news. WOW... Sounds like they were pretty close to boarding the planes involved, that's scary! Other passengers seemed to be taking it amazingly well, I would have been completely freaked out!

It has been quite a scary day here in England and we are so glad that they were stopped. Having flown to and from LAX recently, it was pretty frightening to learn that California was one of the destinations they intended to target.
No hand luggage is being allowed onboard, just a see through bag with a wallet etc. Mothers boarding planes with bottles of baby milk had to drink a bit of the milk at the security desk to show that it purely milk!!!
It's a lot of inconvenience to everyone, but better to be safe than sorry.
Love Ella

First off I want to say thankfully nobody was hurt and hopefully that will slow them down for a few years while they come up with some other plan to blow stuff up...and now to my selfish whining lol.

As if flying wasn't boring enough...some idiots have to make it so we can't take drinks or electronics on. And if you can't take a carry on I'm assuming books probably would be a massive pain as well. I can't imagine how terrible a trans atlantic flight would be now with nothing to do but read the safety manual and watch whatever bizzare movie the airline has picked up. I'm seriously glad we are driving in September now. I've never personally felt terror from terrorists but they sure are irritating in terms of screwing up little things things in daily life. I'm not mad at the aiports for implementing the safety measures; but the people who make them necessary.

I'm not sure what the states is doing but at our local airport (YVR) they are allowing juice on board for little kids and essential medication. I can't imagine with my DS trying to get him to go anywhere without his sippy cup; he's totally attatched to it and even talks to it. Having it empty or just not around is the one thing that will send him into a complete melt down. I seriously hope the airlines have some mechanism for getting kids their drinks once they are on board if people can't bring a sippy for their kids.

I think many people have gone overboard with carry-ons and that causes delays and crammed overheads - I think there is a happy medium out there somewhere - and am hoping it will include some little things to make the flight bearable - but that luggage goes in the belly and not the overhead.

Just put the liquid and gels in checked luggage.

Woody

Um.. okay what does this have to do with Disneyland? lol but anyways I am going next saturday and am kind of scared but i think it should be fine by then.

Just when I started to be relaxed about flying again I have the fear back and rightly so most people I bet also do. I called AAA and found out what my cancellation policy is on my trip for Christmas and the most I could lose is half my package if I cancel in the 5 days out time frame. I wouldnt wait that long so I could lose $200 or $100 depending if and when I chicken out, this is a crazy world, can't trust anyone, always looking over your shoulder, what is wrong here......well I am more tha half over my life but these poor babies that are coming into the world, by the time they hit midlife what's their life going to be like. OK, I'll stop rambling, I hope everyone traveling starting now has a safe safe trip. :sunny:

We are leaving for DL in about 1 1/2 weeks, so this news (while it is all over the news) is important to me, as I will be packing next weekend for my trip. Work 7 days a week, so i gotta squeeze it in somewhere....

I don't usually bring liquids (ie shampoo, toothpaste, etc) on the plane with me anyway-I pack that in my checked luggage in a clear bag I got when I purchased some Perfect Plus/Nick Chavez products from QVC quite some time ago (been using his stuff for almost 11 years). That way if they burst, they don't make a mess. I do bring a carry-on bag, besides my purse, so this is what has me concerned. I wear glasses, but not all the time (only for distance), so it is important for me to have at least my purse/handbag with me. Right now, all domestic flights are allowing for carry-ons.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread - it stands as a reminder to those of us who are traveling in the very near future to be aware of packing!

:sunny:

GailT said:
Just when I started to be relaxed about flying again I have the fear back and rightly so most people I bet also do. I called AAA and found out what my cancellation policy is on my trip for Christmas and the most I could lose is half my package if I cancel in the 5 days out time frame. I wouldnt wait that long so I could lose $200 or $100 depending if and when I chicken out, this is a crazy world, can't trust anyone, always looking over your shoulder, what is wrong here......well I am more tha half over my life but these poor babies that are coming into the world, by the time they hit midlife what's their life going to be like. OK, I'll stop rambling, I hope everyone traveling starting now has a safe safe trip. :sunny:

I know how you feel Gail, I have to admit when I first heard the news yesterday I considered cancelling our trip and just staying close to home this year. It is a scary time we live in, and never before has it been so close to home. However, we cannot let events like these take control of our lives and paralyze us with fear. If we do that we are allowing the terrorists to win. British officials did an amazing job in stopping what might have been a huge tragedy. I have faith that any further attempts will be uncovered and stopped. See you all in Disneyland. :wave2:

I agree, If you decide to cancel your trip because of what has happend then you let the terrorist win. After all, why should you put your life on hold for these cowards!!! :furious: Go out and enjoy your life and do the things you've always wanted to do and appreciate the time you have left and cherish the people in it each and every day. Yea, I to am scared now, but hopefully by the time my H and I go to DL which is this Dec 6-14th things will have settled down and I will feel safe to board the plane. Our flight leaves 6:40am on the 6th and we'll be flying from Seattle to Santa Ana. so it's only a two hour and 30 min flight. I can't wait to spend Christmas time in Disneyland :banana: well.... it's not actually gonna be Christmas day but pretty close. can't wait!!!!!!! :Pinkbounc :woohoo:

OK....Lets see....Assuming the restictions of certain items are consistent thruout the system, and those are publised now , can we list other items we (who have not traveled yet) need to know about??? :thumbsup2

books or magazines
crayons
empty sippy cups

Thanks, I feel this thread is extremely helpful to most of us flying.

I just went to the TSA web site and scanned through their list. I couldn't find a referrence to crayons, books, magazines or empty sippy cups. It is my guess that they are still allowed. Other than liquids and creams, the list has not changed much. Check out the following web page, after the threatening letter is a pretty comprehensive list:

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/doc/Permitted_Prohibited_Facts.doc

I just sent an email to them on the link provided to ask them what they consider "essential non-prescription medications".
I'll report what I find out.

Thanks,
(The DH here)

Ahh sippy cups..
Last year we went to disneyworld and brought my daugters favorite sippy cup. On the way back at the airport(MCO) the checkers made us take it out of her mouth and check it through the scanner. There was a big pileup at the other end and a coule of trays fell over and everything fell out - a couple of screeners then started giggling. We had to pick up our stuff, but unfortunately the sippy cup was lost..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!