Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information Superthread (READ FIRST POST FOR OVERVIEW!)

Need recommendations for shuttles for 2 people from/to SNA please. :drive:We will be staying in a good neighbor hotel.

Uber/Lyft. Don't do shuttles, you could end up being the last dropped off of 5 other groups. Last time I shuttled from SNA it took 2 HOURS. Uber/Lyft are fast and will cost you $25-30 unless there's surge pricing for rush hour-- even then, it's your own car door-to-door.

Help please. Family of 5: 2 adults, plus 3 boys: 14, 10, 6.

Flying Southwest from Baltimore; arriving at LAX 11:15 PM Pacific time. On Monday, June 10.

Staying at Tropicana. Plan is to hit DL for 7 am EMH.

My assumption is that we will be coming in too late for some shuttles, but also too late for there to be many additional passengers for different shuttle stops. (?)

Additionally, I assume we will have too much with us to fit in an Uber XL. We will have a double stroller (fits new DL measurements), plus at least 6 full size suitcases, plus another 6-8 carryon-size bags (we are staying for a week, but I am staying behind myself for an extra week also).

Since we arriving so late after flying cross country, and given the early morning start the next day, I assume we will be dead tired and want to get to sleep asap.

I've never been to LAX either, so I don't have any experience with that baggage scenario (if it is standard like other airports or if there is a lengthier than normal baggage claim process.)

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Flying Southwest from Baltimore; arriving at LAX 11:15 PM Pacific time. On Monday, June 10.

My assumption is that we will be coming in too late for some shuttles, but also too late for there to be many additional passengers for different shuttle stops. (?)

Additionally, I assume we will have too much with us to fit in an Uber XL. We will have a double stroller (fits new DL measurements), plus at least 6 full size suitcases, plus another 6-8 carryon-size bags (we are staying for a week, but I am staying behind myself for an extra week also).

Since we arriving so late after flying cross country, and given the early morning start the next day, I assume we will be dead tired and want to get to sleep asap.

I've never been to LAX either, so I don't have any experience with that baggage scenario (if it is standard like other airports or if there is a lengthier than normal baggage claim process.)

Thoughts?

Thanks!
UberXL must seat up to 6 guests, so you should be fine seat-wise. 6 full size suitcases plus 6-8 carry on bags, plus a stroller is a lot though.

There's a specific option for "uber BLACK SUV" that is usually something like an Escalade or Navigator. It's more expensive, but probably the only option to be sure that there's enough room for the luggage.

It's confusing because there's uberX, uberXL, uberBlack, and uberBlackSUV, among other choices... and they are all different things, so make sure you chose carefully.

As for shuttles, there should be some that operate late. I think Super Shuttle runs at LAX around the clock. If you make a reservation with a shuttle service, do mention the number of bags you have, because it could be a lot even for a shuttle, especially if there are other passengers.

Last edited:

Thoughts?

Thanks!

LAX is usually pretty fast with bags, but that late at night I'd allow 30 minutes, especially if you're checking the stroller. Then another 30-45 minutes in a car. You'll get to your hotel about 12:30am (which is going to feel like 3:30am). Working backward from a 7am rope drop - you want to leave your hotel <6hrs later, about 6:15am?

I'd spring for a car service. Tell them who your passengers are, how much luggage you have and your flight numbers, they'll have the right vehicle waiting. They can probably provide a booster or car seat if you weren't going to bring one for your 6 year old, too.

Last edited:
There's a specific option for "uber BLACK SUV" that is usually something like an Escalade or Navigator. It's more expensive, but probably the only option to be sure that there's enough room for the luggage.

There's a pretty good chance that Uber Black SUV won't hold the luggage either. There's a requirement for 6 seats, but they're generally the same size as an UberXL.

If I were planning an Uber with these specs, I'd call an UberXL. Load the 6 year old (who will need a car seat or a booster), one adult and as much luggage as you can squeeze in. Then the other adult calls the smallest Uber that will fit what remains.

Hi all!:wave2: Looks like we will be flying into SNA, but departing from LAX. We are staying at GCH and I feel like I read somewhere that the Disneyland Express will drop off at the DLR hotels first and pick up there last? If I'm not nuts and that is indeed the case, it seems like that should make that option less time consuming for DLR hotel guests overall. Is that a safe assumption? I'm more tempted to give Disneyland Express a whirl if I know I'm not stopping repeatedly each direction.

Thanks to posts by Malcon10t and kimmar067 we decided to give Execucar (by SuperShuttle) a try on our trip a couple of weeks ago. Here's how it went.

We paid $81.70USD each way, tip included, LAX to Tropicana for our family of 4 (kids are 18 and 19). I received a text upon landing with instructions to call after picking up our luggage and then received a call from our driver while still waiting to deplane telling me that he was waiting for us in a holding lot and to call from curbside when ready letting him know which pillar we would be near and he would be there in just a few minutes to pick us up. After collecting our bags I called, he gave a description and number posted on his vehicle and arrived shortly. He was friendly, a good driver and we arrived at our hotel in good time. The day before our scheduled departure I received a text from Execucar informing me of the time our car would arrive (between 9am and 9:15am). Next morning our driver arrived almost right at 9am, she was friendly, a good driver and we made it to LAX in good time.

Our previous trips we had used Karmel Shuttle and while I have no complaints about the service we received at the time, given the cost and not having to share a van, I believe Execucar is a far superior option.

Thanks to posts by Malcon10t and kimmar067 we decided to give Execucar (by SuperShuttle) a try on our trip a couple of weeks ago. Here's how it went.

We paid $81.70USD each way, tip included, LAX to Tropicana for our family of 4 (kids are 18 and 19). I received a text upon landing with instructions to call after picking up our luggage and then received a call from our driver while still waiting to deplane telling me that he was waiting for us in a holding lot and to call from curbside when ready letting him know which pillar we would be near and he would be there in just a few minutes to pick us up. After collecting our bags I called, he gave a description and number posted on his vehicle and arrived shortly. He was friendly, a good driver and we arrived at our hotel in good time. The day before our scheduled departure I received a text from Execucar informing me of the time our car would arrive (between 9am and 9:15am). Next morning our driver arrived almost right at 9am, she was friendly, a good driver and we made it to LAX in good time.

Our previous trips we had used Karmel Shuttle and while I have no complaints about the service we received at the time, given the cost and not having to share a van, I believe Execucar is a far superior option.
Huh. This is good to know. It beats Lansky by about $80 for the RT (we don't need a meet & greet; we will all have carryon luggage, no checked bags). We may try this in September, rather than chance a cramped Uber with surge pricing. Thanks for the info!

....I just checked it out. I was quoted $84.96 one-way for Business Express, including tax for 2 people. However, it doesn't specify pick-up location (the higher priced options state "curbside" or "baggage claim")....so, where do we get our ride? :confused3
....boy oh boy, I did all that stressing out for nothing! I didn't reserve a car or taxi or anything, but we sure lucked out! We landed ahead of schedule and hopped onto the Disney bus within 8 or 9 minutes!

BTW, you pay for the Magical Express bus ride when you arrive at your destination. The first stop was at DLH, which is where got off the bus.

Last edited:
@SkRiderMom Thanks for the Execucar review! We're considering them for our upcoming December trip. Question: How much time did the return trip allow at LAX? We considered the service last year but were afraid we wouldn't have enough time to eat at the airport. And you got to ride in the HOV lane?

What transportation is available? Aside from Taxi. What have you used and liked? I also don’t want to rent a car.

We have used Lansky when we didn't want to bring our carseats. Lansky is a private car service (large SUV, minivan, or limo I think). You preschedule with them. They met us at baggage claim, helped with the luggage, had carseats for both our kids, and stopped at the grocery store on the way to our hotel. Highly recommend. If we were bringing our own carseats (or didn't need seats), I'd use Lyft because it's cheaper.

We have used Lansky when we didn't want to bring our carseats. Lansky is a private car service (large SUV, minivan, or limo I think). You preschedule with them. They met us at baggage claim, helped with the luggage, had carseats for both our kids, and stopped at the grocery store on the way to our hotel. Highly recommend. If we were bringing our own carseats (or didn't need seats), I'd use Lyft because it's cheaper.
How much were they? I only need one way, and my children are adults now! So don’t need car seats. Those days are long gone. But grocery stop would be nice. I was thinking I’d just walk down to Panera to pick up muffins or something for breakfasts in the room. And there’s a CVS down the street too. Staying on Harbour, a block to main gate.
I looked at the bus service but the bus stop is a block from our hotel. Don’t feel like dragging luggage along street to hotel.
It’s only 2 of us, my oldest daughter and myself. Maybe Uber or Lyft. My friend who lives in LA is picking me up and taking me to LAX for flight home. I only have to worry about getting from SNA to hotel. Only used Lyft once last month in Florida. Didn’t go well. Pick up time was 7 min, we watched the car route, watched it go right past our area and continued north. Didn’t pick us up. Then called Uber. First time we ever used this. We don’t have them where we live.
Thanks for the info.

Definitely Uber or Lyft. We always use Uber from SNA now. We've had good luck with them-- just be sure to verify that it is the same vehicle, license plate and driver, and he should know your first name before you get in the car. If you've never used Uber before, you can find first time user discounts online for I think $10 off your first couple of rides. Otherwise, it will cost you $22-30 depending on surge pricing.

Last time we did this, we asked if he would stop at CVS for 5 minutes so DH could grab a rack of water; he was happy to do so. That said, you can also have Von's or Amazon Fresh deliver to your hotel. Or I'm guessing you could grab another Uber to take to a grocery store or Target.

Edited to add: Lansky's costs $80 one way from SNA. They're nice, of course, but an Uber from LAX would cost about that or less. Not worth it for a 20 minute grocery stop. https://www.golansky.com/services.html

Definitely Uber or Lyft. We always use Uber from SNA now. We've had good luck with them-- just be sure to verify that it is the same vehicle, license plate and driver, and he should know your first name before you get in the car. If you've never used Uber before, you can find first time user discounts online for I think $10 off your first couple of rides. Otherwise, it will cost you $22-30 depending on surge pricing.

Last time we did this, we asked if he would stop at CVS for 5 minutes so DH could grab a rack of water; he was happy to do so. That said, you can also have Von's or Amazon Fresh deliver to your hotel. Or I'm guessing you could grab another Uber to take to a grocery store or Target.

Edited to add: Lansky's costs $80 one way from SNA. They're nice, of course, but an Uber from LAX would cost about that or less. Not worth it for a 20 minute grocery stop. https://www.golansky.com/services.html
Thanks for the info! Uber it is. Do they have a special place they pick you up at airport? $80 is pretty pricey for one way. We were just at Universal Orlando and used a car service to MCO, cost us $60.
Good idea, maybe I’ll ask if driver will stop at the CvS a block away from hotel for water, it’s so heavy to carry.

We always use uber - we have to get an uberXL usually - 4 kids that need carseats - and it's like $30. Usually we can scrounge up a promo code. We usually just have Vons deliver groceries to the hotel also :)

We always use uber - we have to get an uberXL usually - 4 kids that need carseats - and it's like $30. Usually we can scrounge up a promo code. We usually just have Vons deliver groceries to the hotel also :)
We may have to get an XL for our luggage lol! 2 suitcases and 2 wheeled carry ons. Where do you find promo codes from? I thought they’re only for your first time.

Anyone have experience with California Yelllow Taxi? They advertise a $29 flat rate from SNA to Disneyland. We also are staying across the street on Harbor. I’ve never used Uber or Lyft and don’t have the itch to try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!