Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information Superthread (READ FIRST POST FOR OVERVIEW!)

Chimichanga, I was also just checking out the Mickeys' super space ship shuttle too - very strange. We will be there in August with a 2 and 4 year old and also would prefer a shuttle with car seats but I am a bit wary about that one. Did you see the photos of other buses on fire!!???
I am leaning toward the Disneyland Express bus even though it stops at a few hotels.
I have enquired with a couple of limo companies and had no reply to my question about car seats, just a quote on price.
As PP asked, I would also like to know if any one else has used a shuttle or limo company that provides car seats?

Thanks
Golidie

Hello,
I am fairly new to the boards too and I am trying to gather as many tip and information as possible for a September trip with DD, DSIL and 4 grandkids. I did get a reasonable quote from Zippy for a van from LGB to Anaheim that included a booster seat. I have not booked because I really know nothing about the company and have not seen any reviews. Super Shuttle is always recommended but obviously not always perfect and so much more expensive. If anyone has used or tries Zippy, please give us a review.
Thanks.

Hello,
I am fairly new to the boards too and I am trying to gather as many tip and information as possible for a September trip with DD, DSIL and 4 grandkids. I did get a reasonable quote from Zippy for a van from LGB to Anaheim that included a booster seat. I have not booked because I really know nothing about the company and have not seen any reviews. Super Shuttle is always recommended but obviously not always perfect and so much more expensive. If anyone has used or tries Zippy, please give us a review.
Thanks.

I never heard of Zippy good or bad. We used Super Shuttle and I must say they were excellent and I would definately use them again :thumbsup2

I called the limo provider mentioned up-thread and they do have booster seats available (and that is included in the price). But for $90 one way... it's almost better to check the car seat for $35 and pay $80 for round trip service.

Goldie - I also saw those pictures... weird! And the person I called was just as... odd.

I am sure that what I have described is an isolated incident - if not, there would be other similar reports posted, and Super Shuttle would likely not still be in business. It surely would not get the positive reviews that it does here on the DIS (the reason we chose it). I, too am sometimes skeptical of reports of bad experiences posted on websites and may not have believed this one if I hadn't experienced it myself. At least it did nothing to ruin an otherwise fantastic trip to TDL and DLR. If anything, it has provided material for a running family joke since we got back - on any trip, the driver now asks passengers for $$$ if they want to see their destination. It has been frustrating trying to get a response from SS, but I have continued for a couple of reasons. First, I find it unacceptable for a company like SS to post a phone # inside their vans for passengers to call if they have issues, and then fail to respond at all when they are reported. Secondly, most of the incidents I described are more than just annoying - they are passenger safety issues. SS needs to be made aware of them and get this driver off the road before a more serious incident occurs.
I have posted a detailed description of what happened in the "Contact Us" section of their website. I wouldn't expect a response over the holiday weekend, but will let you know what I hear whenever they respond.

I got a response late last week from Super Shuttle, and am posting it here as promised:
"I have received your complaint regarding your service on June 13 and would like to apologize for this unacceptable behavior. This matter has been brought to the attention of my General Manager and Operations Manager and necessary action has been taken to prevent this from happening again. We did conduct a meeting with this individual to inform him that we will not under any circumstances tolerate this kind of behavior. Customer service is our number one priority and we strive to attain a safe and reliable service to our customers. Because you did not receive the most excellent customer service on your journey I have refunded [full amount of fare] back to your [credit] card. Please once again accept my sincere apology and thank you for choosing Super Shuttle."

Thanks for posting the follow-up, parkhopper! I can't believe they "inform[ed] him that we will not under any circumstances tolerate this kind of behavior" and didn't just can his rear!!!!! I hope they DID fire him, but it doesn't sound like it, does it? I wonder what "will not tolerate" means, exactly?

Thanks again for letting us know about this!

We just returned from our trip to Disneyland last this weekend and had two different families use SS. Although we didn't have any problems like the PP we did have a driver from one of the groups tell us that he was an independent and that tip wasn't included. I had reserved a Limo for my cousin and her family from John Wayne to Disneyland Resort and paid 122 each way and the website said that the price DID include the drivers tip. I am not sure who was lying but it did make me a bit confused, so we tipped the driver again???? Other than that everything else was fine.

In my pre-trip report someone asked me to comment on my Super Shuttle experience when we got back. I didn't read this whole thread so I don't know what the general concensus is but we had a very good experience. The drivers we had in each direction were both very good. On the way back to John Wayne airport we were the only customers. On the way to BWPPI there was a full van but we were the first ones dropped off. I can't remember what we paid because we got a package deal with a travel agent but I would definitely use Super Shuttle again.

Personally - I'm not a fan of Super Shuttle. We booked that on our last trip and were so disappointed in the service from LAX that we paid the extra money to take the Disney Express back (and were much happier). It had nothing to do with the driver, but the shuttle was supposed to be an express to the Resort and instead stopped at 4 communities along the way. Perhaps it would have been better from SNA due to the shorter distance.

In Sept. we opted for the Disney Express instead (from SNA).

FWIW.

I am sure that what I have described is an isolated incident - if not, there would be other similar reports posted, and Super Shuttle would likely not still be in business. It surely would not get the positive reviews that it does here on the DIS (the reason we chose it). I, too am sometimes skeptical of reports of bad experiences posted on websites and may not have believed this one if I hadn't experienced it myself. At least it did nothing to ruin an otherwise fantastic trip to TDL and DLR. If anything, it has provided material for a running family joke since we got back - on any trip, the driver now asks passengers for $$$ if they want to see their destination. It has been frustrating trying to get a response from SS, but I have continued for a couple of reasons. First, I find it unacceptable for a company like SS to post a phone # inside their vans for passengers to call if they have issues, and then fail to respond at all when they are reported. Secondly, most of the incidents I described are more than just annoying - they are passenger safety issues. SS needs to be made aware of them and get this driver off the road before a more serious incident occurs.
I have posted a detailed description of what happened in the "Contact Us" section of their website. I wouldn't expect a response over the holiday weekend, but will let you know what I hear whenever they respond.

In October of 2009 we had booked Super Shuttle (private van) at a reduced rate when I phoned it to book the shuttle - upon showing the van driver our prepaid voucher, he said no, that the price was paid wasn't for private, and he could take us if we gave him more money. I said that it certainly states on my receipt that I had prepaid for a private shuttle. I had also confirmed with the staff on the phone a couple of days prior to our trip, confirming both the special price, and the fact that it was a private van.

Because of my insistence to not pay more, nor were we moving anywhere, he got the super shuttle dispatcher over to our van, and told them we needed to pay more. I explained that it was a pre-paid trip and that it was a private van, and the dispatcher agreed with me and told the driver he'd have to take us, since it was written up that way.

The driver seemed to accept it and we tipped him because we knew he may have lost fares due to the private van issue.

I phoned super shuttle and asked them to write notes for my file to tell the driver for return, that we had prepaid for a private van.

All was well on the return trip.

Since then, we have used Super Shuttle's 'Execucar Xpress' service 4 times (2 return trips) and have been pleased. We did have 2 very motion sick people on the return back to LAX on a busy week day in March 2010, but we are not used to driving in traffic, and likely the stop and start motion of the constant stop and go traffic was what did us in.

Overall, I would strongly recommend super shuttle; though you can't use coupons if you are using the execucar express, for 4 or more passengers it's less expensive than the Disneyland Express bus I believe, and gets you there faster.

We're arriving in Disneyland next month. We plan on taking the Disneyland Express from LAX to the Grand Californian. However, for our return flight to Newark, we will need to be leaving the Grand Californian before the Disneyland Express is running for the day. What would be our best option for transportation from the Grand Californian to LAX at around 6:30a-7:00a?

We're arriving in Disneyland next month. We plan on taking the Disneyland Express from LAX to the Grand Californian. However, for our return flight to Newark, we will need to be leaving the Grand Californian before the Disneyland Express is running for the day. What would be our best option for transportation from the Grand Californian to LAX at around 6:30a-7:00a?
If it was me I would get a taxi. And leaving at 6:30am is dicey unless your cab driver knows how to use surface streets when the freeways are crowded. I would do a cab at 5:30AM (6AM at the very latest).

If it was me I would get a taxi. And leaving at 6:30am is dicey unless your cab driver knows how to use surface streets when the freeways are crowded. I would do a cab at 5:30AM (6AM at the very latest).

Maelstrom, what time is your flight from LAX? And what kind of day is it? If you have a 10AM flight on a Saturday or Sunday morning, leaving at 6:30 AM might be okay (though DH would have us leaving at 5:30 or 6:00 just to be safe). If your flight is for a weekday, however, you'll absolutely want to give yourself more time.

In the past, DH and I would have booked Super Shuttle with no hesitation for that type of early morning flight. Given the recent reviews of the LAX Super Shuttle drivers, however, I think I would probably go with HydroGuy's taxi suggestion. Or, perhaps look into Prime Time Shuttle. A family member just took Prime Time from LAX to their home about 45 minutes away and didn't experience any of the problems Super Shuttle has been having.

Maelstrom, what time is your flight from LAX? And what kind of day is it? If you have a 10AM flight on a Saturday or Sunday morning, leaving at 6:30 AM might be okay (though DH would have us leaving at 5:30 or 6:00 just to be safe). If your flight is for a weekday, however, you'll absolutely want to give yourself more time.

In the past, DH and I would have booked Super Shuttle with no hesitation for that type of early morning flight. Given the recent reviews of the LAX Super Shuttle drivers, however, I think I would probably go with HydroGuy's taxi suggestion. Or, perhaps look into Prime Time Shuttle. A family member just took Prime Time from LAX to their home about 45 minutes away and didn't experience any of the problems Super Shuttle has been having.

My flight leaves from LAX at 10 or 10:30 in the morning, I can't quite remember. It will be on a Sunday.

This might be a dumb question but I'm a little confused about the Disneyland Express buses... :confused3

I read on this post that the bus usually stops at DLH first then moves on to the other resort hotels. Sounds fine... however, I read on TripAdvisor.com that they stop at DLH to pay for the fare then they transfer you to another shuttle if you are staying at a different hotel... That sounds strange and time consuming to be me, but possible, I suppose. Could someone explain exactly how this service works? I'm staying at GCH and don't want to spend half of my first morning transferring to various shuttles... I want to get to DL! :banana:

Thanks for the help!

This might be a dumb question but I'm a little confused about the Disneyland Express buses... :confused3

I read on this post that the bus usually stops at DLH first then moves on to the other resort hotels. Sounds fine... however, I read on TripAdvisor.com that they stop at DLH to pay for the fare then they transfer you to another shuttle if you are staying at a different hotel... That sounds strange and time consuming to be me, but possible, I suppose. Could someone explain exactly how this service works? I'm staying at GCH and don't want to spend half of my first morning transferring to various shuttles... I want to get to DL! :banana:

Thanks for the help!

Good question - we are also staying at GCH and planning to take Disneyland Express. I've read through this entire thread, and I'm very excited about DL, but I have to admit that I'm missing Magical Express!

Disneyland Express seemed to be the most similar to Magical Express (other than paying and not being Disney-run) so we're going with that for the trip to GCH.

Then we need a car (with rented car seat) to get to Newport for the week and back to LAX. So the Alamo location in Downtown Disney looks like the way to go. Pick up at Disney, return at LAX after Newport.

Does this sound like a good plan?

P.S. Dizme, are you back from your Newport trip?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter