Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information

kniquy

DIS Veteran
I was thinking that a private car service would be an option but this is on their site:

If federal, state, or local law requires your child be secured in a child safety seat, please bring one as it is the parent’s or caregiver’s responsibility.

You may want to consider bringing one. If it were me i would want my child safe and to me a motorcoach or other means of travel where my child was not secure would frighten me. If you don't want to bring one then i guess you need to look into options which provide one.

redleader74

Earning My Ears
Yeah, as much as we don't want to lug the extra weight, bringing our own car seat would open up many options (cab, lyft/uber, private car searvice, etc.) not to mention peace of mind. Plus, it means we're not tied to a transportation service's pickup/dropoff schedule.

• tarheelalum

DIS Veteran
    If you don't want to rent a car then that limits you under your circumstances. I would just buy tickets for the Disneyland Express Shuttle bus. Its not ideal but its cheap and you won't have to wait too long for it and its not that bad.

Last edited:

CherylGonz

Mouseketeer
    Lansky provides car seats and they are highly recommended by others on these boards. We used them last time for our trip with no issues.

BadPinkTink

DIS Veteran
    My sister got this for my 4 year old niece the last time she flew from England to Ireland. Its a backpack that transforms into a car booster seat. She got a rental car at Dublin airport and had no issues fitting it in the car. I dont know if something similar is available in USA

213707a.jpg

geergirl

Mouseketeer
    I'm guessing your daughter is flying on your lap as opposed to having her own seat? In that case, unless you have the original box for the car seat there isn't really a safe way to check it anyway. The ideal situation from a safety perspective is to install the seat on the plane and have her in it. Checking a car seat leaves the seat with an unknown history and at risk of damage that would not necessarily be visible. If you're not taking her seat the best option is DRE.

I'm awfully glad we had our seats with us once when we were denied boarding at SNA (kid puked in the airport within 2 hours of the flight) and had to get our own transportation to LAX. We'd have been kind of screwed without our own seats. Based on our own experiences we don't travel without seats. It is certainly easier now that the kids are in boosters. Maybe check out something like the Cosco Scenera Next that is super cheap (still safe and often recommended by car seat techs as a travel/budget seat) and lightweight for travel? Check it in the box you get it in. As a bonus it will work for years for any future travel.

• redleader74

Earning My Ears
    Lansky provides car seats and they are highly recommended by others on these boards. We used them last time for our trip with no issues.
    Thanks for this referral. I had thought about those services (you know, where driver is waiting for you at arrivals with a sign) but didn't know what they're called or which companies they were. I don't necessarily need the greeting, etc., but I checked their site as well as their TA reviews and seems like this might be just right for us in terms of reliability, safety, and service. Pricey yes, but I guess you get what you pay for? I'll definitely include this as an option! Also, big thanks to amyg1975 for the MSSS warning....I was seriously considering them, yikes! BadPinkTink, that looks like a marvelous piece of equipment....our baby will only be 10 months by the trip happens so not quite big enough to use this, but I'm going to keep this on my radar when she is big enough.

redleader74

Earning My Ears
    I'm guessing your daughter is flying on your lap as opposed to having her own seat? In that case, unless you have the original box for the car seat there isn't really a safe way to check it anyway. The ideal situation from a safety perspective is to install the seat on the plane and have her in it. Checking a car seat leaves the seat with an unknown history and at risk of damage that would not necessarily be visible. If you're not taking her seat the best option is DRE.
    Thanks for bringing this up....yes, if we were bringing our car seat (which is highly likely at this point) then we'd definitely use it on the plane. I already booked three plane tix so we were not going to have her as a "lap baby" even though we originally were not planning on bringing the car seat. our reason for booking her own ticket was 1.) for the extra space on the plane and 2.) to more or less guarantee no one would sit in our row (since we're flying SWA where seats are not assigned).

So if we bring our car seat we'd have both the car seat and the toddler seat attachment for our stroller. We plan on using the stroller all the way to the gate, obviously with the car seat since we'd be using that on the plane, but shoudl we check the toddler seat or should we bring that along to the gate and when it's time to board and we gate check our stroller, we put the tollder seat attachment so both can be gate checked as one piece?

BadPinkTink

DIS Veteran
    BadPinkTink, that looks like a marvelous piece of equipment....our baby will only be 10 months by the trip happens so not quite big enough to use this, but I'm going to keep this on my radar when she is big enough.
    Hopefully you can get something similar. My niece loved it, she had her snacks, toys and books in it for the plane and then it was so handy for the rental car.

geergirl

Mouseketeer
    @redleader74 if you already have a seat booked for her I would just take the car seat. If you've never done it before, practice doing a baseless installation before you leave and then leave the base at home. Take a look at the manual for instructions for installing on the plane too.

As for checking the stroller, I would gate check it all as one piece. By keeping the pieces together you have one less item to potentially get lost, especially if the stroller folds in one piece with the toddler seat attached.

• redleader74

Earning My Ears
    Thanks for all the great advice folks! It's funny, up until two days ago I was scratching my head on all this, with it being our first trip/flight with a baby and then I thought...you know, there's a forum for just about every topic/interest/activity/hobby/etc. on the net, surely there's one for Disneyland. :D

tnolan

DIS Veteran
    I don't know what time your flight is landing, but keep in mind if you want to use the Disneyland Express the last bus leaves SNA at 7 pm. That fact diverted me to booking a Super Shuttle, because my flight lands at 6:51 pm.

julesann

DIS Veteran
    We have always flown into Orange County and then take a taxi or Uber/Lyft to DLR. We tend to come either later at night or mid morning so we miss rush hour traffic. Currently, Southwest rates are through the roof and I can save quite a bit to fly into Long Beach. I am wondering how much longer, and how much more expensive, is the transportation cost to get from the airport to DLR

Geemo

DIS Veteran
    We have always flown into Orange County and then take a taxi or Uber/Lyft to DLR. We tend to come either later at night or mid morning so we miss rush hour traffic. Currently, Southwest rates are through the roof and I can save quite a bit to fly into Long Beach. I am wondering how much longer, and how much more expensive, is the transportation cost to get from the airport to DLR
    Here's a link to LGB ground transportation
    It's about 20 miles from LGB to DLR

amyg1975

DIS Veteran
    We use Uber from Long Beach. We pay between $31-35, depending on the time, and take about 30 minutes (?).

julesann

DIS Veteran
    Wow! Thank you all so much. Great info and link!! That's about the same as Orange County! Time for a change!!

redleader74

Earning My Ears
    Yeah, I thought about that too, regarding private car vs. shuttle bus. With all the additional stops a shuttle bus (whether DRE, Mickey's Space Shuttle (gasp!), etc.) it could be a long trip and with it being our 10 month old's first trip/plane ride I don't want to make the trip from the airport to the hotel any longer than it needs to be.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Daily Updates and News