Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information Superthread (READ FIRST POST FOR OVERVIEW!)

How far in advance of your trip does anyone recommend booking?

I'm looking at most likely SuperShuttle, but I'm noticing as I'm looking around that some places are having specials...should I hold off on booking for mid-March until say, mid-to-late February?

This would help us loads! Heading over to DL with my three year old twins. It's their first time to travel and I'm trying to make the trip as hassle free as possible

We (me, DW, SIL and nephew) took a trip to TDL from LAX with a stop at DLR on our way back home to Minnesota. We flew from MN to Ontario airport and reserved Super Shuttle to take us from there to Westin-LAX so we would be ready for the flight to Tokyo the next day.
As soon as we pulled away from the curb, the driver pulled out his cell phone and began text messaging. One of the other passengers asked him to stop texting. He said he would, but instead just moved so that we couldn't see that he was still texting (or so he thought). After that passenger was let out, another passenger again asked him to stop texting and got a similar result. At one point, he nearly ran a red light. He had to back up to get out of the intersection. He was so preoccupied with texting that he forgot he was still in reverse and took off in reverse when the light turned green (luckily no one was behind us). When he let the second passenger out, she mentioned to us that the driver wasn't displaying any identification. After she got out, the driver told us that he needed to get gas. We pulled into a gas station and he got out and started pumping gas while he talked on his phone. We waited 10-15 minutes in the van while he was on the phone. He finally finished talking and replaced the gas cap - he had pumped a total of $4.00 worth of gas. We continued on our way with him texting/driving until we got to the vicinity of LAX. He then announced to our party that he was going to need some extra $$$ to take us to our destination. I pulled out my printed confirmation to show him we had already paid, and he said that was fine for Super Shuttle, but he wanted additional cash or we weren't getting to our hotel. We demanded to be taken there, and he finally relented and pulled up in front of the Westin. We got out and he again demanded money, saying that I had gotten a cheaper fare because I had typed "Westin-LAX" on the reservation form and thus had fooled the system into thinking I was traveling airport-to-airport (which he claimed was cheaper). He said I should have typed just "Westin" on the form. I replied that I had done no such thing - I chose "Westin-LAX" from a dropdown menu on the website. Also, DW and SIL both pointed to the van parked next to us which clearly said "Westin Hotel - LAX". He then changed gears again, claiming he was an independent contractor who was being ripped off by Super Shuttle and needed us to pay him cash or he wouldn't make any money on this trip. I responded that that was his problem, not mine. He said that he wouldn't hand over our luggage from the back of the van until we paid him some cash. At this point, SIL stepped around him and grabbed her luggage from the van. The rest of us followed suit and then bolted from the scene.

We (me, DW, SIL and nephew) took a trip to TDL from LAX with a stop at DLR on our way back home to Minnesota. We flew from MN to Ontario airport and reserved Super Shuttle to take us from there to Westin-LAX so we would be ready for the flight to Tokyo the next day.
As soon as we pulled away from the curb, the driver pulled out his cell phone and began text messaging. One of the other passengers asked him to stop texting. He said he would, but instead just moved so that we couldn't see that he was still texting (or so he thought). After that passenger was let out, another passenger again asked him to stop texting and got a similar result. At one point, he nearly ran a red light. He had to back up to get out of the intersection. He was so preoccupied with texting that he forgot he was still in reverse and took off in reverse when the light turned green (luckily no one was behind us). When he let the second passenger out, she mentioned to us that the driver wasn't displaying any identification. After she got out, the driver told us that he needed to get gas. We pulled into a gas station and he got out and started pumping gas while he talked on his phone. We waited 10-15 minutes in the van while he was on the phone. He finally finished talking and replaced the gas cap - he had pumped a total of $4.00 worth of gas. We continued on our way with him texting/driving until we got to the vicinity of LAX. He then announced to our party that he was going to need some extra $$$ to take us to our destination. I pulled out my printed confirmation to show him we had already paid, and he said that was fine for Super Shuttle, but he wanted additional cash or we weren't getting to our hotel. We demanded to be taken there, and he finally relented and pulled up in front of the Westin. We got out and he again demanded money, saying that I had gotten a cheaper fare because I had typed "Westin-LAX" on the reservation form and thus had fooled the system into thinking I was traveling airport-to-airport (which he claimed was cheaper). He said I should have typed just "Westin" on the form. I replied that I had done no such thing - I chose "Westin-LAX" from a dropdown menu on the website. Also, DW and SIL both pointed to the van parked next to us which clearly said "Westin Hotel - LAX". He then changed gears again, claiming he was an independent contractor who was being ripped off by Super Shuttle and needed us to pay him cash or he wouldn't make any money on this trip. I responded that that was his problem, not mine. He said that he wouldn't hand over our luggage from the back of the van until we paid him some cash. At this point, SIL stepped around him and grabbed her luggage from the van. The rest of us followed suit and then bolted from the scene.

OMG! I hope someone thought to get a license number (van and ID, if he would give it) and report the guy. My guess is he wasn't a SuperShuttle driver at all. I would be extremely surprised to hear that he was legitimate, but in any case, it was very important that someone notify both the police and SS.

What a terrible ordeal that must have been!!! I would advise anyone in a situation like that not to let the driver get away with it. If everyone demands he stop and he refuses, get out a cell phone and call the police. When he was stopped for gas (stopping for gas with passengers????), that would've been another chance to do something.

So sorry this happened to you. I personally would probably have been too shocked to do anything myself, but it's a lot easier to see what should be done when you're not in the middle of it!

Parkhopper407, I'm also hoping you or someone else in the van reported this driver. That sounds so scary! Please keep us updated with what Super Shuttle has to say about the situation! Was it an actual Super Shuttle van (royal blue with a gold "Super Shuttle" emblazoned across the side)? I definitely echo DizMe in the hopes that someone got the license number or some other form of identifying identification about the driver or shuttle.

Keep us updated! Please!!

It was definitely a Super Shuttle van - logo and everything. We checked in with the dispatcher on the island outside the airport and were directed to it. By the time we reached the gas station, we were already planning to report the incident to Super Shuttle, so we noted the phone # and van # (905) that were posted in the vehicle. Once we were safely inside the hotel, I called them. The recording said that the phone line (Quality Assurance and Lost Items) was only staffed M-F from 8:00-4:30 (this was a Sunday). I thought that was odd for a business that provided services 24/7, but whatever. I called the next day before boarding the plane for Tokyo and got a recording, so I left my contact information. I didn't hear back before boarding, and didn't have phone service while in Japan. When we returned, I expected that there would be a message waiting for me, but there wasn't. I tried them 3 more times the next day and got no response. Finally, I tried a different option and selected the extension for Management when I got their recording. I got the voice mail of a manager and left a message for him. It' s been a week now, and I am still waiting for a response.

It was definitely a Super Shuttle van - logo and everything. We checked in with the dispatcher on the island outside the airport and were directed to it. By the time we reached the gas station, we were already planning to report the incident to Super Shuttle, so we noted the phone # and van # (905) that were posted in the vehicle. Once we were safely inside the hotel, I called them. The recording said that the phone line (Quality Assurance and Lost Items) was only staffed M-F from 8:00-4:30 (this was a Sunday). I thought that was odd for a business that provided services 24/7, but whatever. I called the next day before boarding the plane for Tokyo and got a recording, so I left my contact information. I didn't hear back before boarding, and didn't have phone service while in Japan. When we returned, I expected that there would be a message waiting for me, but there wasn't. I tried them 3 more times the next day and got no response. Finally, I tried a different option and selected the extension for Management when I got their recording. I got the voice mail of a manager and left a message for him. It' s been a week now, and I am still waiting for a response.

WOW. Sounds like you did everything you could. That's a sure way to sour people on SS! You ought to leave a message that this experience is being aired on a message board.

I was feeling so frustrated on your behalf that I did a little searching to see if there was a better contact number for you to try. If you haven't given up yet, you should try calling Veolia Transportation Ethics & Compliance Hotline at 1-866-850-3033. This is a parent company for Super Shuttle and they are lines are open 24/7. You can give them your report on what occurred and if you do not wish to remain annoymous, you can give them your contact information and they will give you an actual time when management will get back to you.

If anyone else has had difficulty with SuperShuttle, I found the information at the bottom of SuperShuttle's webpage under the "Code of Conduct" link. The website is http://www.veoliatransportation.com/pdfs/Code_of_Business_Conduct.pdf.

Hope that helps! Keep us posted!

i was planning on using the super shuttle when we go, but after reading that horrible review of them im not sure now, does anybody else have a review of them that was just normal???

3Tinks, that was excellent contact information!!! WTG :woohoo:

i was planning on using the super shuttle when we go, but after reading that horrible review of them im not sure now, does anybody else have a review of them that was just normal???

I've used them regularly for the past 6 years (and occasionally before that) and have never had a problem. That would be about 15-20 trips. I have often recommended them on this forum because it's a really good value, IMO, when you use a coupon code. I've NEVER seen anything close to what poor ParkHopper described. It is so far beyond legal (not to mention ethical) that it's hard to imagine nothing has been done and no response was given to PH's complaints. I would love to hear how this turns out and whether or not SS does anything about it. Not exactly good PR, and there are plenty of other transportation choices so you'd think they'd be a little more responsive. On the other hand, I've always spoken with a live agent when I've called so I think maybe PH's call just went to a machine. You *can* get in touch with a real person, even on Sun, but it may not be through the "Quality Assurance" voice mail.

That's the first time I've ever seen anything of that nature posted about SS. There have been other "normal" complaints, like taking a less direct route because someone wasn't staying in the resort area, or having to wait longer than 15 min. for a shuttle, and I think bumbershoot had a trip that was more like an Italian taxi ride :rotfl:. The vast majority of reviews, though, have been positive. Keep in mind that they (SS) have tons & tons of trips between SNA and DLR every day, so there will occasionally be an issue. If PH's experience was shared by others and if SS refuses to address it, then SS's reputation will certainly be damaged in my view. The trouble is, it's very hard to verify that kind of thing and without other similar complaints, I would be hesitant to assume the worst. It's like seeing a really negative hotel review on Trip Advisor...it's hard to know whether it was an isolated incident or something to worry about, whether it's true (no offense, PH), or what the other side of the story might be. For me, I can weigh all of my positive personal experiences against someone else's negative one that I cannot verify and feel ok about still using SS. For someone who has never used SS, the choice is harder because you don't have personal experience and must rely on reviews. If you're unsure, you could always use Prime Time or one of the other shuttle companies, bus, or taxi. But I won't ditch "my" company on the basis of a message board complaint until I have more information.

We've used them several times with no problems at all. I really hope the person who had such an awful experience will continue to pursue this. Totally unacceptable and dangerous.

thank you for the feedback, when i originally made my reservations at the hotel, they recommended SS to me, so i figure i will give them a try, i agree that sometimes everything just goes wrong for some people, i work in a hotel myself and let me tell you, i see some of the strangest stuff on trip advisor for our hotel, and i think to myself, man if i was looking for a hotel and read this review i would never stay at my place, but since i work there and i see the everyday ins and outs, i know that it is a great place, so i am sure this is just one of those cases of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and everything else just making it worse, i will try SS and let you all know how it went, im pretty sure everything will be fine.

I am sure that what I have described is an isolated incident - if not, there would be other similar reports posted, and Super Shuttle would likely not still be in business. It surely would not get the positive reviews that it does here on the DIS (the reason we chose it). I, too am sometimes skeptical of reports of bad experiences posted on websites and may not have believed this one if I hadn't experienced it myself. At least it did nothing to ruin an otherwise fantastic trip to TDL and DLR. If anything, it has provided material for a running family joke since we got back - on any trip, the driver now asks passengers for $$$ if they want to see their destination. It has been frustrating trying to get a response from SS, but I have continued for a couple of reasons. First, I find it unacceptable for a company like SS to post a phone # inside their vans for passengers to call if they have issues, and then fail to respond at all when they are reported. Secondly, most of the incidents I described are more than just annoying - they are passenger safety issues. SS needs to be made aware of them and get this driver off the road before a more serious incident occurs.
I have posted a detailed description of what happened in the "Contact Us" section of their website. I wouldn't expect a response over the holiday weekend, but will let you know what I hear whenever they respond.

So....in my basically positive-with-caveats reports on Supershuttle, I almost ALWAYS mention that they text like maniacs. They generally have an ear cricket (what I call those bluetooth things), a phone for calling affixed to the dash, and a phone that they are texting on. And a walkie talkie. And they use them, for business purposes, nonstop.

I almost always mention this because it's unnerving. I've never had a problem because of this texting, but it is worth stating. But because it's for business, I haven't felt comfortable saying anything...I mean, they are constantly receiving updates in all those various ways, and I've often wondered why they feel comfy doing it since I believe that it's illegal in CA as it is now in WA.

The worst experience I've had with it was, indeed, from Ontario!

I've been told by all the drivers that each of them are independent operators, most definitely. However, they are supposed to follow the rules!

And he doesn't know their site at all. YES there is a checkbox to enter the address manually. But the cost is the same!

When typing in "wes" in their normal form, when you get to Westin you see:

Westin Bonaventure 404 S Figueroa St Los Angeles CA 90071
Westin Hotel - LAX 5400 W Century Blvd Westchester CA 90045
Westin Hotel - Long Beach 333 E Ocean Blvd Long Beach CA 90802
Westin Hotel - Pasadena 191 N Los Robles Ave Pasadena CA 91101
westin mission hills resort 71501 dinah shore dr rancho mirage ca 92270
Westin South Coast Plaza 686 Anton Blvd Costa Mesa CA 92626

When you check the box for manually entering it, you put in the zip code: 90045. The address isn't entered until *after* you get your price quote (I just did it with the "book a ride" section as well, not just the "fare quote").

And both gave me $62 for the first person, $9 for subsequent passengers.

Which is hardly cheap, by the way, as I'm sure you know.

Keep trying to report it! I personally would focus more on the attempted extortion over the texting, as I haven't been in the van with a SS driver yet who wasn't texting and talking constantly. They just don't seem to see it as a big deal even if we do.

Parkhopper, I sure hope they respond soon. I'm shocked at what happened to you and that SS has done nothing for you yet. Please do let us know what happens.

I wonder if the texting is an LAX route thing? I've never once had a driver who texted during the drive. They've talked on the phone, but no texting. I go from SNA, though, so maybe the shorter drive has something to do with it.

Has anybody been on the SS recently after they passed the no texting no talking on your phone in CA law?, do the drivers still text and talk on the phone while driving? How do they get away with that if they do.

I wonder if the texting is an LAX route thing? I've never once had a driver who texted during the drive. They've talked on the phone, but no texting. I go from SNA, though, so maybe the shorter drive has something to do with it.

SNA, LAX, and ONT...have seen it on each. But the worst was the ONT driver. He also seemed to leave the airport and then circled back around, hoping to get another fare...very very hot day, very very unpleasant experience to go that slow without the a/c blasting. No other SS driver that I've dealt with has done the circle-round thing except at ONT.

Has anybody been on the SS recently after they passed the no texting no talking on your phone in CA law?, do the drivers still text and talk on the phone while driving? How do they get away with that if they do.

I just googled...

"On September 24th, 2008 the Governor of California , Arnold Schwarzenegger signed Senate Bill 28 (SB 28) in to law.

The new bill �Prohibits a person from driving a motor vehicle while using an electronic wireless communications device to write, send, or read a text-based communication."

If that's correct and it's been since Sept '08, then YES, I've had the experience since then. I imagine they get away with it because no police officer has noticed.

Just like their carseat thing. They say on their site that depending on state law, carseats might be needed...but they don't make you have a carseat. If there were an accident or they were pulled over, they would likely try very hard to get the blame put on the parent (where it should be, IMO), because they stated on their site that you need to follow state law.

Newbie to the board... :)

I'm helping my parents plan a trip in August with my 4 year old daughter. Transportation is our biggest hangup right now.

We found a provider that includes a car seat - Mickey's Super Space Ship Shuttle (or something like that). The website ... leaves a lot to be desired (as does their email communication). Has anyone used them? Are they good?

Do any other shuttle services have a car seat included (or one for rent)? Or know where they can get one cheap around LAX? We obviously have car seats for her, but my parents would rather not check the car seat for $30 when it cost $35 to buy, if you know what I mean.

I'm going to check out Zippy (tried calling and no one answered; I'll try again). Thanks in advance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter