Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Was so excited to use some cash miles at Sobeys yesterday for just over $20 worth of stuff we need for the next week (trying to eat up what's in the freezer & pantry) and went through the self scan checkout. Cashier tells me it's not possible to redeem cash miles though it!

Just in case anyone didn't know... like me!
Well that's odd, but nice to know! We do it at Metro no problem and would probably just try at Sobeys because of that and be frustrated! We LOVE their self-check because 1) she talks to us and tell us the price & 2) you scan your card first and know immediately if you've got the miles properly or not BEFORE the transaction is finished.

Yeah, I knew you'd understand some of the underlying difficulty we have with travelling anywhere other than our own country ... when we were searching i insisted it needs to be somewhere that our girls could also visit safely as a married couple! I have a huge justice based streak as it is and to travel somewhere that people are oppressed for any reason is not happening.
Favourite places to eat?For counter service, hands down the food court at POFQ, we will go out of our way to eat there regardless of where we stay and we had excellent service at D'Luxe burgers last trip -- easy boat ride! Raglan Road is great as well because they have a dedicated fryer for foods and make fresh batters for me. But i think my number one absolute must place is The Wave!! Some people dream of the rides, the shows, the fireworks & meeting characters but me? Nope it's all about the food from that restaurant, specifically one chef. I have his business card and sent him and email last night at 9:45 to track him down (they tend to move the chefs around every 3 years or so) and he replied within 10 minutes to let me know that he's excited to see us again!

Trip report? huhm maybe? You'd think I'd be good at it but every other time I've started one i never finish even the pre-trip, but I'm tempted this time, excitement level is over the top!

[/QUOTE]

oh yes, i get what you’re saying! i like your policy :)

I also *love* the wave!! doesn’t surprise me st all that they’re so accommodating. the food is always excellent and the prices are not bad, especially for disney. i don’t know if it fits your diet, but in december i had the dashi and it was awesome. now that i think of it, i had a dashi at kona cafe too, and it was great too! i don’t know how they do with restricted diets though.

i’ve never pulled off a trip report before either, but i love when other people do them! it’s such a fun way to almost experience disney.

Hi all,
Has anyone purchased Calypso tickets as an Air Miles reward? I'm wondering if it's email delivery (or regular mail). How many days to receive? Website says 2-3 weeks.
My computer keeps stalling when I try to search this thread for 'calypso'.
Thanks much!

I haven't purchased tickets thru AMs for Calypso before. I just wanted to say have fun! It's been a few years now since my family was there last but we love the park! We've been to both waterparks in Disney and found the theming to be on par with Disney. So much better than Canada's Wonderland and Wild Water Kingdom.

Jacqueline....we too LOVE POFQ and 2 weeks...you will love it....I answered your question over on the POFQ thread...I just wanted to let you know that maybe it was the day we went on our last trip but we were very disappointed with our burgers at D'Luxe burger...I actually had to send them back because they were not cooked...actually raw in the middle. When the burgers did come out - cut in half to show they were cooked, they had no taste...very disappointing. The food court at POFQ however was awesome both for breakfast and dinner. Never had a problem finding a table.

Jacqueline....we too LOVE POFQ and 2 weeks...you will love it....I answered your question over on the POFQ thread...I just wanted to let you know that maybe it was the day we went on our last trip but we were very disappointed with our burgers at D'Luxe burger...I actually had to send them back because they were not cooked...actually raw in the middle. When the burgers did come out - cut in half to show they were cooked, they had no taste...very disappointing. The food court at POFQ however was awesome both for breakfast and dinner. Never had a problem finding a table.
Baahaaa, I'll go edit down my response over there then!!!

Here's what i said that pertains to THIS group of peeps!

The agent we got stuck with has zero, like NO experience with a Disney trip .. she said in her email that she can arrange special bus from the airport that is NEW and, did you know you can even book your meals in advance and she's going to look into something different about the rides that she can offer us to cut down on waiting. I can't wait to talk to her in person :rolleyes1
I've studied touring plans maps and decided on a few favourites but anything will be better than what we could have been dealing with, a VERY sick Duck a long way from the medical care she'd need!!

That's disappointing to hear about D'Luxe but since my problem is I'm allergic to most spices & seasonings I wouldn't notice the "no taste" But the darned thing better not be mooing when you put it on my plate

Have a great time planning those menus Jacqueline and don't forget to plan a few snacks too!
I love the funnel cakes with strawberries and whip cream at Sleepy Hollow.

:dogdance:
I'm on the last 5 day countdown to the end of this school year!! Come on Summer Break!!
Hugs
Mel

Last edited:

Donald.....I'm happy that you've booked something and are feeling good about it. So sad that you aren't going to Hotel X, I've been thinking about it a ton lately and wishing that I could go back but prices are low end $2500/person which is a lot more than I'm willing to pay. LOL...I checked Christmas because that's my next possible chance for a vacay this year and :scared1: its $4500/person. I paid $4700 total for three of us to go away last Christmas.

POFQ was always my dream resort and we stayed there for a week in 2009. I didn't really realize until last year that it really is my Disney dream come true. DD and I stayed there for 10 days last summer. It was GLORIOUS! We spent lots of time at the pool and enjoying the resort. I don't think that trip can ever be replicated. Over the years we've stayed at all the mods and values except for AoA and I never really felt there was enough of a difference between the levels but last summer I truly felt it. Perhaps it was sitting outside in the morning sipping my tea, reading a book with the jazz music playing.

Note on the airmiles site about 24 hours of downtime! No cash redemptions, no compulsively checking your balance, etc, during this time.

ll AIR MILES properties, including AIR MILES Cash redemptions, airmiles.ca, the AIR MILES App and airmilesshops.ca will be unavailable due to system upgrades from Sunday, June 30 at 11:00 p.m. ET to Monday, July 1 at 11:00 p.m. ET. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Back to our regually scheduled AM hunt! For all my fellow Rexall shoppers here's a few bonus offers for this week
Email coupon Spend $40 get 60 AM Valid June 24 - 26

This should go with the ONYX coupon i got in the mail last week ..spend $40 get 40 (i forgot about it last week, check and see if you got the mailer! It's only good till the 30th)

For those of us who are over 55, they have their senior's day running both Tuesday AND Wednesday, get 20% off ALL regular priced items so you can get bigger bang for your buck.

Shop last week and get the $10 gift card? Use that as well! So for spending $40-ish i should snag 100 AM and get more stuff than normal! This is a good time to buy things that NEVER go on sale but you still need.

Donald...I'm soooo glad you booked this. My heart sank when you first started having trouble with your trip. We work way to hard to get these AM...and hated what you just weren't happy with how nothing was seeming to work out for you. I'm so glad your getting this get away!!!!! Enjoy, put your feet up and enjoy all the moments that happen :lovestruc

Note on the airmiles site about 24 hours of downtime! No cash redemptions, no compulsively checking your balance, etc, during this time.

ll AIR MILES properties, including AIR MILES Cash redemptions, airmiles.ca, the AIR MILES App and airmilesshops.ca will be unavailable due to system upgrades from Sunday, June 30 at 11:00 p.m. ET to Monday, July 1 at 11:00 p.m. ET. We apologize for any inconvenience.
I guess if they need to do upgrades this is a perfect time because they wouldn't be open anyway 🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Say a prayer for the IT department (that WILL be working) that everything runs smoothly -- hubby always HATED being on call during these upgrades .. the worst was when he was on a team that helped Y2K not be the disaster it was headed towards being -- before cell phones were anything other than a basic flip phone (or the dreaded bag car phone!!) so he carried 3 pagers 24-7

Oh please report back about how you liked it. I was toying with doing something similar and almost did but I decided to wait till the Rise of the Resistance ride is up and running. I have been reading the SWGE thread over on the Disneyland section on a daily basis and I am so pumped. Have a blast!

Got back from Anaheim/Disneyland last night, and all either of us can say is that it was AMAZING!! We skipped the build your own light sabre, build your own droid and Oga's Cantina, and still managed to spend over 3 hours checking out everything. Smuggler's Run was really good, we went on it twice. Our reservation was at 8am, and we got the the park and the line up for SWGE at approx. 6:30am. The attention to detail and just overall atmosphere was SO GOOD - DH and I both agreed that we prefer SWGE over Pandora, and the trip was well worth it!

Side note: This was the first time either of us have stayed at a 'Disney' property in Anaheim. A lot pricier than a 'friend' hotel there, but we fully enjoyed it, and would stay there again (USD/CAD exchange permitting). Our TA did us good!

Doing a Rexall shop in a bit and I want to make sure I have all the coupons I can use. I have a load and go for 50 AM's on a $25 spend. I have the email spend $40 get 60 and I have the $5 off spend coupon. Am I forgetting anything? Been a long time since I hit up Rexall.

Doing a Rexall shop in a bit and I want to make sure I have all the coupons I can use. I have a load and go for 50 AM's on a $25 spend. I have the email spend $40 get 60 and I have the $5 off spend coupon. Am I forgetting anything? Been a long time since I hit up Rexall.
If you're over 55 you can wait till tomorrow and get the 20% discount on regularly priced items. I'm jealous of your small threshold, mine is $60 but i shop there all the time. Happy hunting!
Don't forget to check for any coupons on items you might be buying as well found on the Rexall site
COUPONS

Regarding the $5.00 survey coupon-- if you end up in a store that has trouble redeeming it at the point you want (one of mine uses it as a coupon, BEFORE tax) do the math -- is it worth losing the Airmiles? In your case you would be losing 110 miles, ~~$10 worth of miles vs a $5.00 immediate savings.

Got back from Anaheim/Disneyland last night, and all either of us can say is that it was AMAZING!! We skipped the build your own light sabre, build your own droid and Oga's Cantina, and still managed to spend over 3 hours checking out everything. Smuggler's Run was really good, we went on it twice. Our reservation was at 8am, and we got the the park and the line up for SWGE at approx. 6:30am. The attention to detail and just overall atmosphere was SO GOOD - DH and I both agreed that we prefer SWGE over Pandora, and the trip was well worth it!

Side note: This was the first time either of us have stayed at a 'Disney' property in Anaheim. A lot pricier than a 'friend' hotel there, but we fully enjoyed it, and would stay there again (USD/CAD exchange permitting). Our TA did us good!

Wow, sounds like you had a great time! I hope to go one day.

I just did the search for you and your post is the only one that comes up :(
I can tell you that if you do order them take extra care to make absolutely sure your mailing address is PERFECT. We ordered tickets for the aquarium and our unit number was missing, the dang thing never made it here until it made it's way BACK to them and they sent them out again. It looks to me like it will be a physical certificate and it will more than likely be shipping from Mississauga so I wouldn't count on seeing it much before the 2 week mark.
Hey, thanks for your reply. I still wonder why these tix are not electronic delivery. Good to know and thanks again.

I haven't purchased tickets thru AMs for Calypso before. I just wanted to say have fun! It's been a few years now since my family was there last but we love the park! We've been to both waterparks in Disney and found the theming to be on par with Disney. So much better than Canada's Wonderland and Wild Water Kingdom.
Cool! It's for nine teens finishing off their school year. Costco sells them in packs of four at a discount. No singles. So I just wanted to help out the ninth person. Turns out all the teens will pitch in a couple of bucks to even out the gate price for that ninth person. Nice! Too bad though that we can't just order an Air Miles ticket and get it in a reasonable time.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!