Airmiles Armchair Chatter

That is amazing!! You most certainly can share and should!! Congratulations on your win, you have to report back on your experience once you get to go. And a Virgin Cruise, that is exciting in itself!!!!
That is AWESOME!!!!!! I'm so happy when I hear of people winning things like this! Enjoy it!!!! I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to hear about the trip!!!! Hopefully this year will go fast for you and it's time to board the ship before you know it!
Um, the Virgin ship looks amazing! So jelly! Congrats on the win, @Disney Addicted
WOW congratulations!!
Oh WOW so cool!!!
Congrats Hon
Hugs
Mel
WOW....that's the best day ever! Congrats. Have you seen how lux the Virgin cruises are going to be?

Thanks! Sorry I have been away. Too many headaches and this week is exam week for the kids.

I have been pouring over Virgin's website and have already planned where I will be spending the majority of my time reading and tanning (just a bit) with a drink in my hand. Of course, being me, I already have about a dozen page in a Word file with notes about the ship. (wry grin). I'm trying to figure out which 5-night cruise. One that stops at Costa Maya or the Dominican Republic? Or Cozumel if we can book that one.

For sure I'll post some photos next year. Umm.. did you know there's a tatoo parlour on the ship? I better watch my drinking...

Ok gang i figured i had nothing to lose by trying so i just hoped onto the online chat and POOF in less that 5 minutes i got the extra 100 miles. Here's the answer i got, so i say GO FOR IT!!
Just noticed your post too @AngelDisney , try this!
View attachment 408700
Well, my online chat might have been successful but the miles never actually made it into the account. My justice based personality won't let me go after them even though I was told they would post and I kept a copy of the chat. I already got the 200 from the coupons and they still say they can't be combined so I call it a win.

Ohh man, that's too bad. Thanks to you I was able to get the extra 100. I ended up with 308 for the $50. I wish you had gotten that extra 100 as well.

I was at Metro this morning picking up A&W GC. There was a line forming behind me and the cashier wasn't certain if combining them in one transaction would give me the correct AM so I decided to do them individually and use "Tap" instead of the "chip and pin". It worked and correct AM on each receipt. I then picked up a few items I needed in the store. Came right home and was putting my groceries away when the phone rang. DH answered the phone first. It was BMO fraud division wanting to ask a few questions about recent purchases. Was I at Metro about 20 minutes ago... I have never tapped my card before but the boys tell me it is safe so I thought it would be quicker to do the GC this way. BMO picked up on the change and was calling to make sure the transactions were me and not that my card had been stolen.

Must say I was impressed. But now I'm concerned about what might have happened if I hadn't been home to pick up the phone. Oh well I'll focus on the positive and use my chip and pin when purchasing GC from now on. (I've never had an issue when I do them that way)

Darn. I totally missed out on the A&W gift cards. I haven't been around in a week. I just wanted to say I had the same issue when I purchased the Sobey's gift cards. You know the $150 gets 150 air miles? I did 5 seperate purchases on my AMs card and 5 again on my husband's. By the time I drove to Foodland, RBC stopped my debit card. LOL It was good to know they picked up on it quickly though. The next time the gift card offer came out, I phoned RBC first to let them know I was about to do the same thing.

Oh please report back about how you liked it. I was toying with doing something similar and almost did but I decided to wait till the Rise of the Resistance ride is up and running. I have been reading the SWGE thread over on the Disneyland section on a daily basis and I am so pumped. Have a blast!

We're going to be there late August/early September and I was so excited. But since then my husband talked me into NOT going to Star Wars this time around. With Rise of the Resistance not being open, that made it easier. Ah well.

Just an FYI for those of us that want/ordered the upgraded magic bands...we were able to call and order them from Shop Disney for our June 13-16 trip to WDW. They were waiting for us at the resort since Disney will not mail the MB to Canada...attached to my package was a notification of the $6 package fee. I politely asked about the fee because Disney will not mail our MB to Canada and the CM called a manager over and she deleted the $6 charge. So if you see the charge, be sure to ask that it be removed since Disney won't mail us our bands and insist on us picking them up at the resort.

Is she a hippo fan too ? My 13 yr old is huge .. this was from this weekend she says she can die happy now
OMG .. where did this happen? I think my daughter would die! She is the biggest hippo fan -- like EVER. I think I've lost track of how many hippos she has, she fell in love with Fiona when she was born. Birt went to the girls wedding and then when we all went to Disney in 2017 he came as well!

Here he with is favourite person before she got married (notice the tiara, it came from Disney Springs :P ) and then after the wedding once the girls got comfy and during his Disney vacay, first in the carry-on so he got there and then how the housekeeping left him watching tv in a pillow fort (Emily had left a note with his name and they ran with it 🤣 )
410926 410925 410935 410933

Last edited:
OMG .. where did this happen? I think my daughter would die! She is the biggest hippo fan -- like EVER. I think I've lost track of how many hippos she has, she fell in love with Fiona when she was born. Birt went to the girls wedding and then when we all went to Disney in 2017 he came as well!

Here he with is favourite person before she got married (notice the tiara, it came from Disney Springs :P ) and then after the wedding once the girls got comfy and during his Disney vacay, first in the carry-on so he got there and then how the housekeeping left him watching tv in a pillow fort (Emily had left a note with his name and they ran with it 🤣 )
View attachment 410926 View attachment 410925 View attachment 410935 View attachment 410933
LOVE the shoes! So fun!!

LOVE the shoes! So fun!!
A girl's gotta be comfy, even on her wedding day, doncha know! Even wore them with her princess gown!
I think this is one of my fav pictures from that amazing day -- promise no more off-topic pictures gang. Back to some exciting travel planning (i'll share the deets once they're final!)

happy pride to birt’s whole fam!

:rainbow:
Aww thanks! This is the first year since the girls met that they aren't going into Toronto for the parade. Neither of them like crowds much and it's just too "much" for them both. They did go to the Jays pride game (poor birt stayed home but they did bring him a flag )and got free hoodies!
🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈

So, I hinted to some travel planning earlier today .. not sure if i should start a new thread or not because this is only mildly connected to AM but I'm sure most of you know the hassles we've had with our stupid vouchers that we jumped the gun on. The hours of planning, the frustration of dealing with an agency that strung us along and missed placing a reservation, the anguish over choosing a resort that could safely handle my dietary restrictions and the final decision to head to Hotel Xcaret in Mexico. I also hinted the last week or so that I've been dealing with a ton of crap and stress and that's because someone was at the resort, had gone thru the same process regarding food safety and in less than 48 hours was served 3 things that could literally kill her. She's anaphylatic to dairy and they gave her meals with butter & cheese because "that's not dairy" .. she speaks fluent Spanish as well so not sure how else she could have communicated her needs!

Hubby and I had some very long conversations and decided to cancel the trip -- we had some concerns from the beginning so paid for 100% cancellation up front. I can't say much without breaking the whole "political" ban here but lets just say the fact that some of the tariffs were dropped that directly impacted hubby's livelihood AND watching the climate of our province change so drastically due to our own populous leader allowed us to make a hard decision.

We're going to Disney! Quick, they all say, get us back to AM please! Ok, we still have $3,300 in vouchers to use and they need to be used on a package BUT none of the carriers had the resort we wanted. There have been a LOT of emails and phone calls between this household and the poor young travel agent who had NEVER done a Disney reservation in her life! Hubby finally had enough of watching me not sleep or eat and getting more stressed each day and called to tell her "I don't care how you do it but this is what we want" This morning I got an email from her and seriously gang, I don't know what she did BUT ... 2 weeks, in a King room at POFQ with the exact flights on WestJet that we love (first thing in the morning there and last one home)we can apply our vouchers to the reservation and it's coming in for less than I thought was possible! We'll use the credit we have with Air Transat (everything other than deposit coming back to our AMEX but that left $500 credit) towards one Disney ticket and use miles for the other. Apparently a travel agent can put together a package that mere mortals can't!!

🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈
So, I hinted to some travel planning earlier today .. not sure if i should start a new thread or not because this is only mildly connected to AM but I'm sure most of you know the hassles we've had with our stupid vouchers that we jumped the gun on. The hours of planning, the frustration of dealing with an agency that strung us along and missed placing a reservation, the anguish over choosing a resort that could safely handle my dietary restrictions and the final decision to head to Hotel Xcaret in Mexico. I also hinted the last week or so that I've been dealing with a ton of crap and stress and that's because someone was at the resort, had gone thru the same process regarding food safety and in less than 48 hours was served 3 things that could literally kill her. She's anaphylatic to dairy and they gave her meals with butter & cheese because "that's not dairy" .. she speaks fluent Spanish as well so not sure how else she could have communicated her needs!

Hubby and I had some very long conversations and decided to cancel the trip -- we had some concerns from the beginning so paid for 100% cancellation up front. I can't say much without breaking the whole "political" ban here but lets just say the fact that some of the tariffs were dropped that directly impacted hubby's livelihood AND watching the climate of our province change so drastically due to our own populous leader allowed us to make a hard decision.

We're going to Disney! Quick, they all say, get us back to AM please! Ok, we still have $3,300 in vouchers to use and they need to be used on a package BUT none of the carriers had the resort we wanted. There have been a LOT of emails and phone calls between this household and the poor young travel agent who had NEVER done a Disney reservation in her life! Hubby finally had enough of watching me not sleep or eat and getting more stressed each day and called to tell her "I don't care how you do it but this is what we want" This morning I got an email from her and seriously gang, I don't know what she did BUT ... 2 weeks, in a King room at POFQ with the exact flights on WestJet that we love (first thing in the morning there and last one home)we can apply our vouchers to the reservation and it's coming in for less than I thought was possible! We'll use the credit we have with Air Transat (everything other than deposit coming back to our AMEX but that left $500 credit) towards one Disney ticket and use miles for the other. Apparently a travel agent can put together a package that mere mortals can't!!
View attachment 411016

i’m so excited for you!! when are you going?

the political stuff...i can’t say much either, but i do get how it affects decisions about where to travel. my province is burning (in more ways than one). my baby is living through his second summer and as far as he knows, smoke that’s so thick it sets off indoor smoke detectors is just normal. i hope we raise a kind and empathetic kid who can think critically and maybe help make the world a better place for everyone, especially those of us whose rights are tenuous. all i’m saying is everything we all do right now, including travel, is happening in such a specific context and sometimes we do what we need to take care of ourselves.

phew. all of that is to say i’m so excited to hear all about your trip!! i’ve never stayed at POFQ, but i would love to. i have heard so many good things about it. you’ve talked lots about how well disney manages food concerns...do you have a favourite restaurant or anything? i’m so excited to hear everything!

edit: my post really has nothing to do with air miles...if you want to make a trip report or something, i would happily follow along!

Was so excited to use some cash miles at Sobeys yesterday for just over $20 worth of stuff we need for the next week (trying to eat up what's in the freezer & pantry) and went through the self scan checkout. Cashier tells me it's not possible to redeem cash miles though it!

Just in case anyone didn't know... like me!

Hi all,
Has anyone purchased Calypso tickets as an Air Miles reward? I'm wondering if it's email delivery (or regular mail). How many days to receive? Website says 2-3 weeks.
My computer keeps stalling when I try to search this thread for 'calypso'.
Thanks much!

Hi all,
Has anyone purchased Calypso tickets as an Air Miles reward? I'm wondering if it's email delivery (or regular mail). How many days to receive? Website says 2-3 weeks.
My computer keeps stalling when I try to search this thread for 'calypso'.
Thanks much!
I just did the search for you and your post is the only one that comes up :(
I can tell you that if you do order them take extra care to make absolutely sure your mailing address is PERFECT. We ordered tickets for the aquarium and our unit number was missing, the dang thing never made it here until it made it's way BACK to them and they sent them out again. It looks to me like it will be a physical certificate and it will more than likely be shipping from Mississauga so I wouldn't count on seeing it much before the 2 week mark.

Oh my goodness @Donald - my hero I think you absolutely made the right choice cancelling the Mexico trip.
What a roller coaster this has been for you guys but I love that it has all worked out!
No kidding! I'm exhausted from the stress! Hubby goes to bed a good hour before me (restless legs and I can't stand the kicking!) and when i went up to get my jammies on he peeked up and with a wry grin "I'm too excited to sleep" ala that cute commercial!
i’m so excited for you!! when are you going?
the political stuff...i can’t say much either, but i do get how it affects decisions about where to travel. my province is burning (in more ways than one). my baby is living through his second summer and as far as he knows, smoke that’s so thick it sets off indoor smoke detectors is just normal. i hope we raise a kind and empathetic kid who can think critically and maybe help make the world a better place for everyone, especially those of us whose rights are tenuous. all i’m saying is everything we all do right now, including travel, is happening in such a specific context and sometimes we do what we need to take care of ourselves.
phew. all of that is to say i’m so excited to hear all about your trip!! i’ve never stayed at POFQ, but i would love to. i have heard so many good things about it. you’ve talked lots about how well disney manages food concerns...do you have a favourite restaurant or anything? i’m so excited to hear everything!
edit: my post really has nothing to do with air miles...if you want to make a trip report or something, i would happily follow along!
Yeah, I knew you'd understand some of the underlying difficulty we have with travelling anywhere other than our own country ... when we were searching i insisted it needs to be somewhere that our girls could also visit safely as a married couple! I have a huge justice based streak as it is and to travel somewhere that people are oppressed for any reason is not happening.
Favourite places to eat?For counter service, hands down the food court at POFQ, we will go out of our way to eat there regardless of where we stay and we had excellent service at D'Luxe burgers last trip -- easy boat ride! Raglan Road is great as well because they have a dedicated fryer for foods and make fresh batters for me. But i think my number one absolute must place is The Wave!! Some people dream of the rides, the shows, the fireworks & meeting characters but me? Nope it's all about the food from that restaurant, specifically one chef. I have his business card and sent him and email last night at 9:45 to track him down (they tend to move the chefs around every 3 years or so) and he replied within 10 minutes to let me know that he's excited to see us again!

Trip report? huhm maybe? You'd think I'd be good at it but every other time I've started one i never finish even the pre-trip, but I'm tempted this time, excitement level is over the top!

POFQ, I love that resort! And two weeks?? I'm sure you will get very bored so you just say the word and I'll pop on down and take your place, yes I'll do that for you, lol.
Well @Donald - my hero I hope you have a really great time. You deserve it. When are you going?

Funny you should mention being bored .. one of the reasons we love Disney is that I've been going since '71 so I know where everything is, how to get around safely and I don't mind being on my own. Hubby need the 2 weeks to fully relax and he will be happy to sleep till noon most days while i explore on my own! You're welcome to join us though :P

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter