Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I kept mine at Dream when they came out with the Cash option. But that's because I always saved them for specific items. When the kids were young I would get attraction tickets. In the past 4 years I have used them for a cruise and two new computers. Now we will be redeeming for Universal Studios tickets; Blue Man Group tickets; and 1-day at Disney tickets in the next two months.

After we redeem for those it depends on what we want to save for next. Merchandise and attraction tickets I would stay with Dream. But if it's travel, I like the idea of cashing out my Cash miles. Air Miles keeps lowering the value of travel and changing their travel methods too frequently. I'm not impressed with their last move (to RedTag) that no one can even book a cruise yet. Ohh, and how it screwed people who were saving those Dream travel certificates to be stuck with less than they needed!!

When I booked our cruise Dream miles for travel were worth .135 cents. Right now Dream miles for travel is worth .11 cents. The cash value is .105 cents.
On a $3,000 trip that's only a $15 difference (dream vs cash). If we decide to save for a trip, I will switch to Cash Miles and tuck the money aside in a separate bank account. That gives us the ability to book whatever trip we want when we want and how we want. An added benefit is we can combine our Air Miles for travel this way - an ability Air Miles took away recently.

By the way, what ILoveToTravel said about keeping spreadsheet -> I do that.

I have been cashing out my PC Points to pay for things on our upcoming Universal trip. I made a list of what needed to be covered and how much. Every time I cash out my PC Points, I put them in our travel bank account and mark off what it paid for.

So far my PC Points have "paid" for the airport parking; FIDO roam fees while in the States; checking in 1 suitcase; Tony Hinds transportation; and the upgrade to Universal Seasonal Passes. Now I'm working on more Disney GCs.

i really love hearing how everyone makes the most of these programs for them! thanks for sharing.

i think i’ll leave my account how it is for now, until i have enough miles to pay off a disney cruise. at that point i’ll reconsider. the flexibility of ‘redeeming’ gift cards (or just tucking the cash away) is pretty appealing, but changing things now just doesn’t make sense.

i really like the idea of setting a secondary card to just cash miles. i think i’ll do that when the next big promo rolls around and my wife “signs up”

I just had an amazing experience with the online chat and wanted to pass on the info I gathered.

I do a fair bit of online shopping, i love being able to hunt for extra codes that can increase my savings and earning AM for retailers that don't offer them in store is bonus in my book. When hubby needed Quicken software he asked if Staples gives miles online, i said yup and when i checked the site it popped up that Staples now gives 1 mile/$20 compared to 1/$40 in store BONUS! The new Chrome extension has a few glitches that are a tad annoying (getting redirected to the wrong retailer) so when the miles posted to my account as 1/$40 i decided i would let them know about this possible error. I ended up lucking in when I connected with Sarah (OMG she's amazing!) and after a very lengthy chat (we covered everything from her asking about all of YOU, to her needing to prepare for the upcoming slew of complaints over MM -- she told me to wash my mouth out with soap 🤣) she gave me 25 miles, not what i was owed but just because of THIS GROUP!!! She said i deserved miles for helping everyone earn more.

We then went for our free Marble Slab ice cream cones (found out there is another eager beaver collector in Guelph since they were already marked down as getting one) and when we got home there was a long detailed phone message from Sarah! She did more digging and discovered that we will now be double-dipping when we shop at Staples online -- 1/$40 from Staples directly PLUS the 1/$20 from the online portal. Those haven't posted yet but should sometime soon. I'll let you know when this posts as well.

I just had an amazing experience with the online chat and wanted to pass on the info I gathered.

I do a fair bit of online shopping, i love being able to hunt for extra codes that can increase my savings and earning AM for retailers that don't offer them in store is bonus in my book. When hubby needed Quicken software he asked if Staples gives miles online, i said yup and when i checked the site it popped up that Staples now gives 1 mile/$20 compared to 1/$40 in store BONUS! The new Chrome extension has a few glitches that are a tad annoying (getting redirected to the wrong retailer) so when the miles posted to my account as 1/$40 i decided i would let them know about this possible error. I ended up lucking in when I connected with Sarah (OMG she's amazing!) and after a very lengthy chat (we covered everything from her asking about all of YOU, to her needing to prepare for the upcoming slew of complaints over MM -- she told me to wash my mouth out with soap 🤣) she gave me 25 miles, not what i was owed but just because of THIS GROUP!!! She said i deserved miles for helping everyone earn more.

We then went for our free Marble Slab ice cream cones (found out there is another eager beaver collector in Guelph since they were already marked down as getting one) and when we got home there was a long detailed phone message from Sarah! She did more digging and discovered that we will now be double-dipping when we shop at Staples online -- 1/$40 from Staples directly PLUS the 1/$20 from the online portal. Those haven't posted yet but should sometime soon. I'll let you know when this posts as well.

Awesome! Good to know.
@Donald - my hero i saw this on Facebook and thought of you:
471C5459-A4DC-40EE-9DA8-FD09D0F81148.png

I keep hoping new Universal Studios tickets are being put up every time the AM site goes down.
Me to. One day passes just aren't doing it for us. Waiting for something better but we still have a few months so I'm not to worried.

On a side note, I'm in need of a new iPad so I'm waiting on a bonus AM offer on the AM's site. If anyone notices an offer for Apple I would appreciate hearing about it just in case I miss it myself.

Airmiles site is down till 6 am,,,,,Hmmmm maybe Mega Miles???
8 am and nope just checked and nothing ,,,,oh well.

Hugs
Mel
I shopped at Sobeys yesterday and none of the offers I had loaded from the app showed up on my receipt so I called AM when I got home and she said her systems were all down and she couldn't help me yesterday but invited me to call back today...

Me to. One day passes just aren't doing it for us. Waiting for something better but we still have a few months so I'm not to worried.

On a side note, I'm in need of a new iPad so I'm waiting on a bonus AM offer on the AM's site. If anyone notices an offer for Apple I would appreciate hearing about it just in case I miss it myself.
June 13-14 is 20X the miles for Apple. It's on the AM homepage as one of those offers that scrolls across.

Any other Chrome users out there having trouble with the AM website? I've been getting authentication errors, service unavailable, & server timeouts since 2 yesterday afternoon. It's fine thru Firefox and the app but my preferred browser is Chrome -- the dang surface just tends to stutter and run hot when i open Firefox as well (I cast my radio station to either the TV or the stereo using Chromecast so Chrome is always open) Getting frustrated by this first-world-problem

**ETA it's ONLY on the Surface, I can use Chrome on my phone and my laptop. The Surface runs under Windows 10 and there were a couple of large updates over the weekend :headache:

Last edited:
I have been having issues with the AM website on chrome for about a week. It doesn't work for days, works for a day, then doesn't work for days again. It's very frustrating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter