Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Ok so none of the 3 Universal Orlando on-site preferred hotels are available through airmiles. (only through the hub). How do I go about booking 2 nights at one of them through airmiles now? Do I have to go the personal shopper route and make a request? Or do I have to redeem to travel certificates, and go to one of those few travel agencies and book a hotel through them? It's not really a vacation "package" per se...can you just book a hotel stay this way?

I'm torn between using my airmiles for 2 days at a swanky hotel and getting 5 passes for Universal (my 10-year old is a Harry Potter nut!), or booking the cruise with airmiles and the possibility of not being able to insure the miles...

I couldn't find any of Universal Studio's Orlando hotels through the Air Miles hotel hub either. I spoke with an Air Miles Rep who told me their hotels were not on their list.

When I inquired about using travel certificates to book a Universal Studios Orlando hotel I was told I could only do so if it was a package. It had to include airfare or park tickets in addition to the hotel to become a package. I was told I could not book just the hotel.

If I'm reading your post correct, you're looking at using travel certificates for the Universal hotel and tickets? That should be ok from what I was told a months ago. I'd suggest phoning one of the listed travel companies and double-checking with them. Things seem to change so quickly.

Since then we ended up with flight credit to use so I'll be getting the Universal tickets through Air Miles; the flight through our credit; and paying for the hotel & food.

Hey Donald - can you plan a pretend trip to Kauai as well? lol. I haven't been around much because I bit the bullet and used up a ton of Aeroplan points for our family to go to Hawaii for 12 nights over the March Break next year and have been researching that a lot. I booked out of the US because the flight times and connections were better, and it cost a total of $59 for all 4 of us in taxes and fees. But I feel so lost not planning a Disney trip!

Hope to earn a ton of AM cash and PC points that I can use for groceries or gas and funnel that money to go towards a car rental (crazy expensive) or vacation rental while there.

On any normal day I too love to plan other peoples WDW trips. Plan away my friend....we fly in to MCO at 7pm Aug 17th and depart for home on the 27th at 8am. If the last flight of the night on the 26th becomes available at a decent price I'm going to switch and go home then. I would be happy doing only one park day but my DD will probably want 2 or 3. We want to spent a fair bit of time hanging out at a nice pool. We want to do some shopping and go to some of our fav restaurants outside of WDW. The budget needs to be kept as low as possible.....the added exchange rate is such a buzz kill. Whatever I book needs to be refundable/cancel because I've got work issues and if I can't go I don't want to be on the hook for too much. Airfare I will lose but it's pretty low.
I spent a fair bit of time today playing around with options and ended up with THIS conclusion: You won't be able to beat the price you've already secured at what looks like a pretty decent hotel. Only thing i would do if you want to get a bit more "Disney" feel is to book either your arrival or departure day at the cheapest ALL Star (looks like Music) and it's cheaper at the END due to the day of the week and then you could use the Disney transportation to or from the airport. You could then use extra magic hours to their fullest at whichever park is open earliest if you do this at the front end or latest at the tail end of your holiday. Booking direct with Disney for Room only has extremely flexible cancellation policies.

Hey Donald - can you plan a pretend trip to Kauai as well? lol. I haven't been around much because I bit the bullet and used up a ton of Aeroplan points for our family to go to Hawaii for 12 nights over the March Break next year and have been researching that a lot. I booked out of the US because the flight times and connections were better, and it cost a total of $59 for all 4 of us in taxes and fees. But I feel so lost not planning a Disney trip!

Hope to earn a ton of AM cash and PC points that I can use for groceries or gas and funnel that money to go towards a car rental (crazy expensive) or vacation rental while there.
Wow that threw me for a loop and led to many hours lost down the rabbit hole of Expedia, AirB&B (kids LOVE this site, makes me leery!!) & Travelocity. Ended back on the AM site looking at car rentals and I guess that's a no go based on the location! Long story short, have fun planning, it looks gorgeous

Ok so none of the 3 Universal Orlando on-site preferred hotels are available through airmiles. (only through the hub). How do I go about booking 2 nights at one of them through airmiles now? Do I have to go the personal shopper route and make a request? Or do I have to redeem to travel certificates, and go to one of those few travel agencies and book a hotel through them? It's not really a vacation "package" per se...can you just book a hotel stay this way?

I'm torn between using my airmiles for 2 days at a swanky hotel and getting 5 passes for Universal (my 10-year old is a Harry Potter nut!), or booking the cruise with airmiles and the possibility of not being able to insure the miles...
My understanding of the personal shopper is that they will buy products not in the dream rewards list BUT it's worth a quick online chat to ask, worse case scenerio they'll say no. Best case scenerio they'll look into it for you. You're only able to book hotels using miles at the 5 chains that are "partners" Best Western, IHG, Hilton, Marriott and Starwood.

We went to Harry World (as our girls called it :P ) and we had a BLAST .. the attention to detail put anything we saw at Disney to shame (Avatar section hadn't opened yet so can't speak to that!) simply remarkable.

I spent a fair bit of time today playing around with options and ended up with THIS conclusion: You won't be able to beat the price you've already secured at what looks like a pretty decent hotel. Only thing i would do if you want to get a bit more "Disney" feel is to book either your arrival or departure day at the cheapest ALL Star (looks like Music) and it's cheaper at the END due to the day of the week and then you could use the Disney transportation to or from the airport. You could then use extra magic hours to their fullest at whichever park is open earliest if you do this at the front end or latest at the tail end of your holiday. Booking direct with Disney for Room only has extremely flexible cancellation policies.
Thanks. I'm toying with the idea of staying for the first 7 nights offsite and then moving to WDW for the last three, or maybe 6 and 4. I really hope that I can change my return flight home though....we're not morning people so that 8am flight is not a pleasant thought.

I've also come across, what I'm pretty sure is WBC, on Hotwire for only $109/night. Very tempting. I have a feeling that I will end up over spending on accommodation because I really want that resort feel.

Sorry for going off the AirMiles focus for a post here...

Hey @momof2gr8kids good for you! We have been visiting Hawaii on a regular basis for almost 25 years now, we even got married on the Big Island. If you need any help planning for Kauai or a second opinion on hotels, condos etc just let me know.
I have stayed a few times on Kauai and I would say for March you might want to look at Waipouli Beach Resort which is kind of central on the island. I like this place because it is a condo resort. You have a kitchen and lots of space but the pools and grounds are beautiful. The resort sits beachfront but that beach can be rough in March. You can book it through Outrigger resorts of you can use VRBO (kind of like AirBNB but a little less sketchy) here is just one example https://www.vrbo.com/593630 and reviews on Trip Advisor (I use this for pics mostly, I dont always trust that the reviews are true for any hotel) https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Re...Waipouli_Beach_Resort-Kapaa_Kauai_Hawaii.html

Another great place to stay on Kauai is the Kiahuna Plantation. It is down in the south on Poipu Beach which might be a good choice for March as the north can get pretty rainy at that time of year. It is such a beautiful beach, and it is also a condo resort like the one above. Fyi, there is no air conditioning at this resort but the trade winds off the ocean at this time of year are amazing so it really isnt needed.
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Re...una_Plantation_Resort-Poipu_Kauai_Hawaii.html

Let me know if you are looking at any hotels or other areas of the island and I can tell you all about them, I have stayed in a few.

As far as car rentals go, my best bet for Hawaii is always through https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/ (which is a broker, no charge for cancellation up to a day before the rental and offers many big brand companies) OR through Costco If you know your dates right now, I would book a car rental. Hawaii is funny, the prices fluctuate a lot. Then keep checking and if it goes down, you can cancel and re book. Especially at about 6 weeks out but you are travelling at a popular time so I would book now.

Are you flying though Honolulu and making a connection or straight to Kauai? If you are stopping in Honolulu and need to stay on Oahu, I have been using a DVC point rental company I read about on the Dis over in the DVC section to stay at Aulani for about 2/3rds of the regular rate. There are a couple of companies but I have used "Davids" that advertises here on the Dis. Or you can even rent from DVC members who post here and other places but there are lots of pros and cons. Read all about it first!

As you all can see, I LOVE Hawaii and I am happy to help any one looking to go!

Now back to your regularly scheduled Air Miles discussion, sorry gang!

Since we are doing trip planning, what is everyone's fav car rental from LAX, we are flying in Aug 25 and need it for 2 days and drop off near DL. Also any recommendations for shuttle to or from LAX and DL.
Thanks

Lots of mixers available on AM right now! This will be my next AM goal after I earn the 3312 AM I still need for our 2019 Disney trip!

They seem to have just about every brand I've ever heard of. Even the Smeg vintage style ones!

Link is for Kitchenaid. 3628AM for Onyx members. :)

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/RewardsProductDetails?productId=prod2575624
I can't say enough good things about the mixer i got about a month ago -- seriously, I'm in love with Max (as in the Mighty Mixer :P ) I got the Cuisinart one myself, it's larger that the one you gave the link for and CHEAPER as well! I might have been tempted by the Breville if it was available when i redeemed but it's also a tad smaller and only has a 1 year warranty compared to the 3 year mine has. I would recommend going with a larger one that the Kitchenaid, you'll be kicking yourself if you ever have the need to make a recipe that will make 2 loaves of bread and you have to knead by hand!

I thought I'd gloat! I was able to use AM's for a direct flight (return) from Halifax to Orlando later this fall. $148 for taxes, so I'm quite pumped. I was looking everyday and they only had the flight in direct, but after about 10 days checking every day the return flight appeared. Yay me! :)

Ontario hunters .... it's time to strap on some gear and hit Sobeys! Can't give many details cause my eyes are really tired but there's a big 2 page spread of items , ice cream (the good stuff mort!), those layer cakes, and a bunch of other things. Kicking myself for not buying a gift card last week!!

Happy to see lots of deals at Sobeys ON but my husband last weekend said no more ice cream for him! Lol!

We are moving this weekend so don’t think I’ll make a huge effort to do any of the big deals. At our new Sobeys :)

Ontario hunters .... it's time to strap on some gear and hit Sobeys! Can't give many details cause my eyes are really tired but there's a big 2 page spread of items , ice cream (the good stuff mort!), those layer cakes, and a bunch of other things. Kicking myself for not buying a gift card last week!!
Lucky - I wish I had stocked up more on the ice cream when they had the Blue Friday Deal. Kids are going through it like crazy. Nothing good in the new Safeway flyer out west. Hopefully Shoppers and No Frills will have some good PC points specials for the weekend!

Happy to see lots of deals at Sobeys ON but my husband last weekend said no more ice cream for him! Lol!

We are moving this weekend so don’t think I’ll make a huge effort to do any of the big deals. At our new Sobeys :)
Good luck with the move. I helped a friend last night pack - they are moving this weekend too. I told my husband when I got home that I'm too lazy to ever move from here! lol. When I look around and think of all the little things that need to get done before we list the house ...ugh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter