Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Edited: Had a good Air Miles day yesterday... not like the old days tho!

Combo'd up the Jean Coutu public offer (spend $75 get 75 AMs) with a personalized BMO offer (spend $50 at Jean Coutu or Metro, get 100 AMs). Bought the toilet paper and a whole whack of shampoo. Spent $88 got 180 AMs.

Did two shops at Sobeys because the first was out of Prime Chicken. Also I haven't gotten real groceries for 3 or so weeks (figured I'd wait for my vaccine and then for it to kick in). Total between the two shops was $311 and received 470 AMs. Plus both of those shops will count for the "spend $75 get 50, 3x" offer on my Air Miles Amex Platinum, so another 100 AMs there.

Total: Around $400 with a return of 750 AMs. Not great points per dollar but it was a regular, full grocery shop.

Today I need to do my Go+ Shell offer!

Last edited:
I used my BMO spend 50$ at Staples get 150 Airmiles this morning. I went thru the Airmiles portal so I should get a few extra airmiles for that.
I bought some Ink for the printer ,case of water and some note pads because I'm tearing up all my printer paper for note pads.
Doing free home delivery and it says June 1st which is very reasonable.

Hugs
Mel

P.S.
And holy snappers people it is freaking cold here in southern Ontario.
My purple potato vines are shriveling up ,,I brought my mandevilla indoor last night.
1622299525965.png
1622299608536.png

Last edited:
Air Miles hunting for me for the past year has been virtually zero - we have switched mainly to PC Optimum as we are doing all our groceries through PC Express and I use my PC Mastercard for everything. Today I called AMEX to downgrade my AM AMEX from Platinum to regular AM AMEX so I no longer have an annual fee. The agent tried everything for me to keep the Platinum card even offering a one time $50 credit to offset the $120 annual fee. I advised that I had upgraded to the platinum AMEX to get the benefit of the extra AM but since we won't be travelling anytime soon, and I have only used my AMEX once since last March (working at home so hardly any need for fuel) it seemed pointless to have a credit card with an annual fee. The agent advised that since I had been a loyal customer of AMEX for 22 years - they would "allow" me to downgrade my AMEX.

Really! They will allow you to downgrade... Just cancel the darn thing wait 6-9 months and then reapply and get another bonus. They seem to be handing those out like candy these days.

I've heard BMO will kick you out of having one of their upper level cards unless you put a certain $ amount on them during the year.

I'm still deep into the vacation research. I've got to book by Monday...although my spidey senses are telling me that they will extend the offer. Anyhow, so far all I know is that I'm booking 10 days in either Punta Cana or Riviera Maya for January 20th. I think I've at least picked a resort in PC but the one that I prefer in RM is $800 over budget. Now....that wouldn't bankrupt me but I want to stick to the limit I've set so that I can also have some WDW time.
So does anyone here know if I book through Redtag and redeem $800 worth of miles what would happen with regard to the conditions I'm booking under ie: change and/or cancel with out penalty, full refund up to 25 days prior (or whatever the number is).....would I get the miles refunded too or what happens? I will either book an Air Transat or Air Canada package.

LOL....I've had my heart set on a different resort every day this week. Of course I want the higher level 5* places but at the bargain prices. :rotfl2: I'm currently looking at a place that's $1500 over budget....at least I'm fairly safe on that one as it's a Sunwing property and I don't trust them to give me a refund if needed. But...it's so pretty!

I miss that AM used to have tickets for things locally, if they still have them I haven't been able to find them. They had TO zoo last summer, among other things of that nature, I'd use my AM for stuff like that (whenever it opens back up again).
Me, too! I would buy those experiences for my grandson because that is his mom's preference and his birthday is in July. This year....I'd better get onto a plan!

it just feels like overall it’s getting more difficult to get good hauls!
I know. And everything you have to sign up for to get the bonus. I can't keep up with my junk email account! LOL. At least the MC offers used to be spend on anything, not just a few AM partners. We have barely any here now and it's hard to justify buying things at Safeway that cost more for so few AM now. It's a lot easier to get Shoppers Optimum points and and also eaiser to use them for groceries and throw a couple of Disney GC in the order.

I know. And everything you have to sign up for to get the bonus. I can't keep up with my junk email account! LOL. At least the MC offers used to be spend on anything, not just a few AM partners. We have barely any here now and it's hard to justify buying things at Safeway that cost more for so few AM now. It's a lot easier to get Shoppers Optimum points and and also eaiser to use them for groceries and throw a couple of Disney GC in the order.

yup, i have had better luck with PC points over the last while too.

i did the gift card thing until our last trip, which was right before covid (Feb 2020). now i just transfer the $$ to a dedicated savings account. it’s close to 2000$ after a year and a half of saving! it doesn’t work for everyone, but it works for us.

Well, went to Metro for a few groceries and earned 14 AM on about $50. Also went to shoppers and bought stuff I didn't really need per se, spent 80 before taxes and earned 24300 points. New Raptors hat for my son's big head (out of kids sizes, add in his hair when it is long and he is in a men's) and melatonin for him, plus a few things for me, everything on sale at least.

I've been having a lot of luck earning Be Well points at Rexall. 578593
One thing I love is they now have paper products on sale at a regular price,, $3.88 for 6 pack Kleenex for example.
I really started back to Rexall around last Christmas and so far I have $320 saved already.
My son actually got his own card there last week,, he drinks pop and they frequently have it on sale and points attached.
I like the ability to grab a few M&M products too.
Let's hope Airmiles picks up there game soon!

Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
Suggestions please....

Do I book my trip with Redtag to earn the miles...it's only 160ish or do I book it directly with Air Transat? I'm leaning towards Air Transat to make it easier to change or cancel if I have to (hopefully I won't). I will still earn miles with my Amex....500ish.

I've been having a lot of luck earning Be Well points at Rexall. View attachment 578593
One thing I love is they now have paper products on sale at a regular price,, $3.88 for 6 pack Kleenex for example.
I really started back to Rexall around last Christmas and so far I have $320 saved already.
My son actually got his own card there last week,, he drinks pop and they frequently have it on sale and points attached.
I like the ability to grab a few M&M products too.
Let's hope Airmiles picks up there game soon!

Hugs
Mel

I also signed up, about a month ago, because there is one right beside the Sobeys I shop at and on Fridays Rexall sometimes has fantastic offers. I am only buying the 3 day deals because everything else is waaaay over priced. So far I have about $10 in points (I think!) Now if I could buy Disney gift cards with these points I'd be very happy!

You can't purchase them directly using points but if you purchase other things and use your points to pay for those then take that cash (not used) and use that to purchase a GC you can. Sort of a shell game but it works if you were planning on making a purchase anyway.

I would book with Air Transat,,, but that's just me. I had a devil of a time getting travel changed and refunded with Red Tag.

Regards
Mel
and I did! So now I just sit and wait to see what happens. Last night I got thinking about how long it will be from now until January. LOL....then I thought well the summer goes by really fast and from Labour day until Christmas goes by quickly. Gawsh....I've just wished away half a year. Don't know what I'll do with myself over the next few months. I guess I'll be hoping to plan a WDW trip....the promised December repeat long weekend would be really nice.

o does anyone here know if I book through Redtag and redeem $800 worth of miles what would happen with regard to the conditions I'm booking under ie: change and/or cancel with out penalty, full refund up to 25 days prior (or whatever the number is).....would I get the miles refunded too or what happens? I will either book an Air Transat or Air Canada package.

LOL....I've had my heart set on a different resort every day this week. Of course I want the higher level 5* places but at the bargain prices. :rotfl2: I'm currently looking at a place that's $1500 over budget....at least I'm fairly safe on that one as it's a Sunwing property and I don't trust them to give me a refund if needed. But...it's so pretty!
I couldn't quite pull the trigger yet. I want to soooo bad, but couldn't do it. We had a big change in a way of finances...so just waiting to see how this next month works out with all the different changes - if that makes sense. I don't want to give too many personal detail. But, big changes for us in a good way ::yes:: Short term pain for a long term gain ;)

I did put feelers out with a travel agent here in our city. Because chances are there will be more than just us going away on a winter vacation/birthday celebration.

and I did! So now I just sit and wait to see what happens. Last night I got thinking about how long it will be from now until January. LOL....then I thought well the summer goes by really fast and from Labour day until Christmas goes by quickly. Gawsh....I've just wished away half a year. Don't know what I'll do with myself over the next few months. I guess I'll be hoping to plan a WDW trip....the promised December repeat long weekend would be really nice.
It will go faster than you think!!!!!!

Congrats on pulling the trigger and making a decision. I think I have narrowed it down to one or two places in each destination that I want to go to. Now hopefully after this month and we see how the bank account looks after this, I'll be pulling the trigger too.

Early look at Sobeys flyer
June 3-June 9th
OLG Lotto and Golf Gift Card ,,, buy a $50 Gift Card get 65 Airmiles
Chips Old Dutch buy 10 get 95 Airmiles. ($10.00 for 4).
https://flyers.smartcanucks.ca/sobeys-canada
Early look at Metro Ont.
June 3-9th
https://flyers.smartcanucks.ca/canada/metro-on-flyer-june-3-to-9/all
Hugs
Mel
Yikes, they keep upping the number of bags of chips needed for the 95 AM! My limit is 4 bags in one shop so I never do these ones that require so many bags of chips!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!