Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I think it's time to study other reward options

Agreed. My 'issue' right now is we have approximately 25,200 air miles ($2700.00), and I'm paranoid about the entire program going in the gutter, but I don't know what to do with the AMs. Normally we would use AMs to purchase Disney passes, but we were just in WDW in October, and DL in May, so we won't be going any time soon (3-4 years at least).

I was checking out the travel packages and cruises, and I *think* that for us, a cruise is a better bang for the buck. We have two different Visa cards both with Avion points (business and personal), plus a WestJet MasterCard, so airfare isn't much of an issue. Unfortunately, the vacation packages all include air, so that feels like a waste of the AMs to me.

The cruises look decent, I've been looking at the Caribbean, Europe and Alaska, and now my head hurts, lol...

Help... :confused3

@kerreyn I've always been nervous to book through redtag for a cruise! I always book direct with the cruise line.
I booked direct for our first cruise (Mediterranean on MSC) in 2015, and had no issues.

For our March 2020 (NCL) Caribbean cruise I booked through Costco Travel. No issues either, PLUS we received a $500 Costco gift card about two weeks after we returned.

We have a Panama Canal cruise (NCL again) coming up in Feb 22, and I booked that through Costco Travel as well, and we’ll be receiving $700+ Costco card for that one (longer cruise).

Long story short, I don’t mind booking through Red Tag, I’m just so indecisive.

Agreed. My 'issue' right now is we have approximately 25,200 air miles ($2700.00), and I'm paranoid about the entire program going in the gutter, but I don't know what to do with the AMs. Normally we would use AMs to purchase Disney passes, but we were just in WDW in October, and DL in May, so we won't be going any time soon (3-4 years at least).

I was checking out the travel packages and cruises, and I *think* that for us, a cruise is a better bang for the buck. We have two different Visa cards both with Avion points (business and personal), plus a WestJet MasterCard, so airfare isn't much of an issue. Unfortunately, the vacation packages all include air, so that feels like a waste of the AMs to me.

The cruises look decent, I've been looking at the Caribbean, Europe and Alaska, and now my head hurts, lol...

Help... :confused3
I hear you,,,one of the reasons we cashed out all last year and now do full time pcpoints....That being said doesnt help you.
What about using the personal shopper to get some home updates, car updates,,,other things that might cost a little more using the points,,,but the wont be stranded.
Or purchase some disney tickets knowing your not going for a few years,,,just make sure that if you dont use them,,you can still get the dollar value in the future like most tickets,,,tickets in the bank sort of.

I booked direct for our first cruise (Mediterranean on MSC) in 2015, and had no issues.

For our March 2020 (NCL) Caribbean cruise I booked through Costco Travel. No issues either, PLUS we received a $500 Costco gift card about two weeks after we returned.

We have a Panama Canal cruise (NCL again) coming up in Feb 22, and I booked that through Costco Travel as well, and we’ll be receiving $700+ Costco card for that one (longer cruise).

Long story short, I don’t mind booking through Red Tag, I’m just so indecisive.
We book our cruises through Costco as well. Did you receive the email today about no longer getting a gift card in the mail? They will now be sent as E-Gift Cards to your email. I received the email twice but that may be because we have cruises coming up on two different dates.
For our upcoming RCL B2B cruise we will get about $500. For our Disney cruise in Feb., three cabins booked, we will be getting just over $1600 from the GC. Shows how much more expensive DCL is than other lines.
But, make sure if you have anything booked, that they have the correct email for you on file.

Do you find the prices through costco are the same or less than booking direct? Who do you contact at costco if you want to make a change to your cruise?

We book our cruises through Costco as well. Did you receive the email today about no longer getting a gift card in the mail? They will now be sent as E-Gift Cards to your email. I received the email twice but that may be because we have cruises coming up on two different dates.
For our upcoming RCL B2B cruise we will get about $500. For our Disney cruise in Feb., three cabins booked, we will be getting just over $1600 from the GC. Shows how much more expensive DCL is than other lines.
But, make sure if you have anything booked, that they have the correct email for you on file.
No - I haven't received an email for our cruise yet. Thanks for the head's up though - I'll keep an eye out!

I'm debating a Disney cruise next, but DH is pretty 'Disney-ed" out... lol

Do you find the prices through costco are the same or less than booking direct? Who do you contact at costco if you want to make a change to your cruise?
The prices online are the same, but when you log into the Costco Travel website and select the cabin category, it'll show what the GC amount is that you will be receiving, so far we've come out ahead with both Costco reservations.

One note though, not sure which cruise line you use, but I've been told that NCL passengers that book through discount websites like Costco Travel won't get to bid on last minute upgrades. No biggie - we just book the cabin we want to have, not hope to have.

Not sure about other cruise lines, but with NCL, if you want to cancel/rebook your cruise, you contact Costco Travel. Payments for the cruise are made through them as well. That said, if you want to book dining reservations, excursions, water packages, etc., that's done on the NCL app or website.

I hear you,,,one of the reasons we cashed out all last year and now do full time pcpoints....That being said doesnt help you.
What about using the personal shopper to get some home updates, car updates,,,other things that might cost a little more using the points,,,but the wont be stranded.
Or purchase some disney tickets knowing your not going for a few years,,,just make sure that if you dont use them,,you can still get the dollar value in the future like most tickets,,,tickets in the bank sort of.
We (*I*) have pretty much settled on using the AMs for travel - I feel like I've got 2 years of travel to catch up on! LOL

The price you pay Costco is the exact same price you would pay direct. Keep your eye on the cost of any cruise you book. If the cost goes down you just need to call into Costco travel and they will do the calling in to change it for you to the lower price. I have two cruises with RCL for October and I have had both of these cruises repriced 4 times each. They are practically giving them to me. Now, on the other hand, DCL hasn't had reductions in fares in years. You can get a FL rate, sometimes a Canadian rate but there aren't that many of them. If you do find a reduction though, they will get it for you. I had to add transportation for my DCL cruise a few weeks back and while everyone on the boards were complaining about being on hold for hours, I went about my day and the TA did it all.
I don't use Costco travel for a WDW vacation, learned a lesson from that one time and never again, but always use them for cruises. That Costco GC can pay for a lot of Christmas.

Hi everyone! I’ve been very out of the loop lately. Busy life stuff.

Anyways, is anyone else sitting on a sizeable dream balance? I have quite a few and I’m not sure if I should cash out/what I should use them for. We have no trips on the horizon. Are there non-expiring trip options to consider? Should I make a list of things I need around the house and start ordering merchandise?

Any opinions appreciated :) And I hope you all are keeping well!

Wow, I did not realize there was such an issue with the Shell offer on Saturday. My husband had room to fill up about 1/2 tank and needed gas for the lawn mower. But he went in the afternoon. I just checked my transactions and 38 miles did post to my account.

The price you pay Costco is the exact same price you would pay direct. Keep your eye on the cost of any cruise you book. If the cost goes down you just need to call into Costco travel and they will do the calling in to change it for you to the lower price. I have two cruises with RCL for October and I have had both of these cruises repriced 4 times each. They are practically giving them to me. Now, on the other hand, DCL hasn't had reductions in fares in years. You can get a FL rate, sometimes a Canadian rate but there aren't that many of them. If you do find a reduction though, they will get it for you. I had to add transportation for my DCL cruise a few weeks back and while everyone on the boards were complaining about being on hold for hours, I went about my day and the TA did it all.
I don't use Costco travel for a WDW vacation, learned a lesson from that one time and never again, but always use them for cruises. That Costco GC can pay for a lot of Christmas.
I missed something. What Costco gift card? Do they give you a gift card for booking with them?

Anyways, is anyone else sitting on a sizeable dream balance? I have quite a few and I’m not sure if I should cash out/what I should use them for. We have no trips on the horizon. Are there non-expiring trip options to consider? Should I make a list of things I need around the house and start ordering merchandise?

Hi Hon
Great to hear from you.
Well I am still collecting a few miles here and there ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I would say if there is something you really want right now go for it.
I do think the Airmiles platform is going to be around for awhile. (More online than instore in my opinion).
Maybe analyze where you collect most of your Airmiles from (*instore / Online *) and decide which reward program works best for you going forward.
My plan is to use mine up for peaceful week/ weekend hotel getaways in the future.🏨🌴

Hugs and welcome back
Mel

Last edited:
I missed something. What Costco gift card? Do they give you a gift card for booking with them?
Yes. The gift card amount depends on the length of cruise, and the type of cabin you book, and is sent out approx 2 weeks after you get home from the cruise. However, the timing may change now that the GCs are being sent electronically.

We’re in the same boat (pun intended), and have been looking at booking a western Mediterranean for 2024. We have just over 25k dream miles, almost enough to cover one fare.

Yes. The gift card amount depends on the length of cruise, and the type of cabin you book, and is sent out approx 2 weeks after you get home from the cruise. However, the timing may change now that the GCs are being sent electronically.
The value of the gift card you get actually depends on what you pay for your cruise. Of course, the price of the cruise does reflect in the length of cruise and type of cabin. I have had several price reductions on our RCL cruises and have had the GC value reduced a few times. Rather save a few hundred on the cruise and loss $10 on the GC but they always want me to be aware of the change. The price paid is the main reason I'm getting $500 for two weeks in a balcony cabin on RCL and $1600 for three ocean view cabins for one week on DCL.
I have found that while the cruises offered through Costco travel are a good value because they are the same cost as the cruise line directly, the other travel options are seldom very good. I have always found a better price somewhere else even when I include the GC so keep that in mind if your looking for a AI through Costco.

Thank you for the reminder @bababear_50 to opt in to my Metro coupons. I would likely have forgotten today. Nailed 53AM today. I'll go back tomorrow for some more bread (in app offer $1.99) on the other two cards tomorrow. Maybe they will have some eggs (30 for $6.99) in tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter