Airmiles Armchair Chatter

LOL....after painting the oldest DD's condo (every square inch) in August I swore I was never going to paint again. I was in so much pain....which my mom reminded me of this morning. Half of my house needs a fresh coat of paint and I have a fantastic painter but I've got nothing but time right now. Sooooo....I'm working on it and have set a limit of 2ish hours a day. I easily spent an hour this morning just taping down drop cloths and moving everything. I'm a very good painter which means super picky about the details and not so much as a drop of paint shall meet the floor. My problem is that the arthritic joints don't enjoy going up and down the ladder anymore. Every time I get myself into some project the knees regret my decision. When DD moved out I had to paint her old room....every part of it was painted very dark purple even the ceiling (I've hated that room for the last 20 years). I spent 3 weeks working at it a few hours at a time and I got through it with no problems....well other than the problem that is took 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint. I'm sure it's all in my head but I swear I can still see purple. Youngest DD has moved into that room and she paid for the paint which was the Sherwin. It was nice to work with but we will have to see how it wears over time. Her friend said their only competitor is Benjamin Moore...which I love but will not pay the price.

I'm in the process of pushing myself to be more active ,,, however now I am doing online education and it is a tad difficult to incorporate movement ,,,, but if I don't do something soon my joints are just going to start to seize up.
Yeah Benjamin Moore is my favorite but my son used to work at Dulux Paint and got a decent discount. He just got a new office job so I am free to shop for paint where I want now. Be gentle on yourself and a hot soak with Epsom salts is wonderful!

Hugs
Mel

Hi Hon
Have you signed up to get offers from Metro? Just For Me?
https://www.metro.ca/en/just-for-me/my-tastes
Hugs
Mel
Yup I have signed up but all I get are a few Air Miles bonus deals. My sister gets lots of bonuses at Metro.
Funny thing is she signed up for bonus deals with Independent Store (Loblaws grocery store at our cottage) and she gets a couple of free items as one of her offers every week and I get none. I feel like Charlie Brown and his all I got was a rock.

Yup I have signed up but all I get are a few Air Miles bonus deals. My sister gets lots of bonuses at Metro.
Funny thing is she signed up for bonus deals with Independent Store (Loblaws grocery store at our cottage) and she gets a couple of free items as one of her offers every week and I get none. I feel like Charlie Brown and his all I got was a rock.

Ah so sorry Hon.
When I first started collecting Airmiles Metro was the only place I collected them from.
It wasn't till I met Jacqueline here on this thread that I realized I could get Airmiles from Sobeys & Foodland.
Over time I have gotten less and less offers from Metro. Most weeks are 37 Airmiles at the most.
It's too bad because I could walk to Metro (on a nice day).
Oh well at least Foodland & Sobeys keep me in the game.

Hugs Hon
Mel

I think I've finally gone thru all the pictures for my dad's funeral. Such a hard task to watch him age before my eyes but a nice way to start saying goodbye

Found this gem of him with the duck!
View attachment 640696
So sorry for your lose. That's a really cute pic. You look just like your Dad.....every time you look in the mirror smile and think of him.

I had to head out early this morning to clean off the car and shovel enough to move the car over the pile of snow that the plow had created when they did a pass thru the lot at 3 am (townhouse complex). Came back in, washed my hair, changed my clothes, packed a lunch, took my pills and headed back out to the car so I could head up the highway to meet my family at the funeral parlour. Crap! Stupid plow had come back and created another deeper pile behind my tiny car and that made me sweaty and 10 minutes late 🤦‍♀️

my dad died early yesterday morning and while it truly was a blessing I really wish my family had communicated more with us. Please everyone, talk to your families, keep each other in the loop, don't assume that someone else had texted or called! We had no idea that he tested positive for COVID-19 over 2 weeks ago, that they'd already given the funeral director a heads-up before Christmas that he was failing quickly. Perhaps my kids might have liked to say goodbye to their Papa ☹ and maybe, just maybe I might have wanted to support my mom!

no shopping happening for me this week, don't care how many miles I might get or what's on sale! I grabbed a carton on milk at Rexall when I was picking up some scripts and that was hard enough

So sorry for your loss. 💔

O/T Off Topic
Well sort of (I will be using Airmiles to pay for this trip).
I am searching for the best time to visit Florida in 2023?

I am a pool lounger.... not much of a swimmer ,,love flowers and gardens and sunshine ,,hot heat not so much.
I love shopping and souvenir hunting (got to find some Grinch stuff).
This whole I am retiring and can go when I want opens lots of doors!
My favourite time of year to visit Disney was back in the 1980's in the month of February.

So
What was your best / favourite time of the year to go to Disney / Universal?

Hugs Mel

Last edited:
O/T Off Topic
Well sort of

I am a pool lounger.... not much of a swimmer ,,love flowers and gardens and sunshine ,,hot heat not so much.
My favourite time of year to visit Disney was back in the 1980's in the month of February.

So

Hugs Mel

I like the beginning of December. Weather is good, Christmas decorations are up.

O/T Off Topic
Well sort of

So

Hugs Mel
Those winter months can be really nice but can also be cold. I really like March, October and November. I've had perfect weather in March but also had freezing cold weather. LOL....we went from 28 all day to afternoon high of 11-12 all in one week. Funny how we Canadians acclimate very quickly.....the morning we stepped out of our room to a temp of 4 we thought we were going to die. The late fall months have more stable temps. Even in December you can be wearing shorts and t-shirts. I have friends that like to go the week before American Thanksgiving....they say the weather is great and it's on the quiet side.

If you want the coolest month of the year that is most likely January into the beginning of Feb. We went once the last week on January and it was nice but we had to wear light jackets.

Yeah I think being Canadian prepares us for some definite ups and downs in the weather dept. I remember taking my brother in Dec and we just about froze to death waiting to get into MK. I spent the whole trip trying to convince him that Dec was not always freezing cold.
March is a definite out now that I am retiring ,,,no more super expensive flights for me.
Lol.
Hugs Mel

My two favourite months are May (first two weeks or last week of April) and December (first week). Avoiding the Easter break and American Thanksgiving. Weather is nice in May and the crowds aren't bad. December, Christmas is in full bloom and the weather can still be really nice (or not). I've been thinking of also trying the week after Jersey Week but a week before Thanksgiving (it's supposed to be slow and Disney has some Christmas decorations out already.

I received a "we miss you" from Sobeys. I would get 50AM for purchasing almost anything in the store. DS went yesterday and did one shop he got the 50AM. He had another one in his my offers so I picked something up and used his card today and got another 50AM. (He had 2 separate 50AM offers on his card and I wasn't sure if they would stack or not).

I had 4 on my card. 1st purchase 50AM, second purchased (same day) nothing. DH card 1st purchase 50AM, second purchase (same day) nothing. I will head back out and do mine and DH card again on Wednesday. I will see if DS will stop in and pick something else up using my card 2X (I got the offer 4X on my card) as I don't want to waste easy miles.

/T Off Topic
Well sort of (I will be using Airmiles to pay for this trip).

So
We went the week after the American Thanksgiving. That was the best trip we have ever had there. We had +25 temps. low crowds everywhere. Universal was walk on for the days we were there. I know that time of year can be iffy for temperatures...but honestly, it was the best experience we have ever had.

~ my dad died early yesterday morning and while it truly was a blessing I really wish my family had communicated more with us. Please everyone, talk to your families, keep each other in the loop, don't assume that someone else had texted or called! We had no idea that he tested positive for COVID-19 over 2 weeks ago, that they'd already given the funeral director a heads-up before Christmas that he was failing quickly. Perhaps my kids might have liked to say goodbye to their Papa ☹ and maybe, just maybe I might have wanted to support my mom!

no shopping happening for me this week, don't care how many miles I might get or what's on sale! I grabbed a carton on milk at Rexall when I was picking up some scripts and that was hard enough

Sorry for your loss.

Another aspect of family communication of a chronically ill parent is listening to progeny pleading for them not to 'give in' (like they have a choice :() and seeing other progeny avoid them. My mother would watch me watching her and say, "What are you waiting for?" and I answer, "Just for you to tell me what you want so I can give it to you." My kids understood they were loosing their GMom but nobody, including I, knew how to say bye.

Having lost both my parents and the brother begging my mother not to die, I feel for your loss. **hugs**

Just a quick update here as it’s been crazy busy. Moved big kid to college into res on a sat moved him home the Monday am. He missed a prerequisite by 2% and apparently grades weren’t posted until after he moved in. Sat night he was at my hotel and we were planning out his schedule Sunday am his schedule at breakfast had disappeared . And of course no one on Sunday to talk to. So his program is now 5 year and we are driving up
one night a week and staying over he goes to his one in person class and we drive home. Im working 2 or 3 12 hour shifts and as of now HS kiddo is home too. I’m exhausted .
I just booked a hotel in Nfalls NY for a wkend in February . Hoping to get daughter boosted. Will cross the Friday night get tested found a place for $100 USD pp 6 hour turn around and will take the kiddos to see sons buddy play hockey in Buffalo that weekend ( ex is in Toronto for work so littles will stay in nfalls Canada with him that weekend I’m terrified he will get covid amd throw a big monkey wrench into the plans how he hasn’t got it already with his ill fitting cloth masks and being in the road 80% of the time is beyond me .
Little has a hockey tourney the second weekend in feb like 4 hours away, house league and an expensive but yet crappy hotel , ( microtel $196 a night ) kid hasn’t been on the ice since nov I’m not too interested in going at this point. Grr and since I work just weekends that’s two weekends off, not sure I can swing it ..
that’s all with us .. praying things get better really already need that June Disney trip. Amazing what 36 hours a week in health care and 4 kids can do to you..
Hope you all are well
T

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter