Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Did you see this page on The Level? It lists Pros an Cons with some other good information.

The Level at Melia Caribe Beach Review: What To REALLY Expect If You Stay (oyster.com)

ETA-reading another review it sounds like there may be a time share aspect to part of this resort, which isn't uncommon for the DR. Just can be a pain when they keep asking.
I hadn’t seen that....will go and look at it now.

LOL...Timeshares in the DR. They are at almost all resorts and the sales people range from no bother at all to following you literally everywhere you go. We have been followed from the lobby to the pool, from the buffet to our room, even had them come look for us on the beach. It’s the thing that holds us back from going more often and also the thing that pushes us towards Cuba. They don’t exist in Cuba. I only had 2 experiences with these guys that were memorable in a really nice way.

ETA: Just looked at that link and it’s for the other resort which is family. It also appears to be pre reno. They changed the entire resort at the end of 2019 and reassigned the room categories. They also changed the names of both resorts.

Last edited:
Someone talk me off the ledge......I spent several hours yesterday researching resorts in the Dominican Republic and Mexico. I've read a few articles lately saying that now is the time to book a trip. Once the border reopens and airlines get going again the prices are going to sky rocket. The tour operators are offering free cancellation and only half the deposit if you book by May 31st. Worst case scenario the deposit would be lost. They will refund in form of payment up to 25 days prior minus the deposit which is refunded in the form of a credit voucher. I'm soooooo tempted to book for January. I think I'm due for a return to Punta Cana and have narrowed it down to a couple of new resorts. What to do, what to do?
I have spent the last 2 weeks watching endless YouTube videos and researching and looking at resorts. I have thought about putting a deposit down on one in Punta Cana as well, but I was really really wanting to use out miles to help offset the price of a trip for us. Unfortunately when going through Red Tag, there is no deposit or a return of miles if restrictions don't lift or anything like that. But...then I could use those AM pile up to help offset another trip for either a Nascar race trip/weekend for dh 50 birthday present or a trip to Orlando with the boys for Disney/Universal trip.

I am unsure of what to do! I'm also scared of with the reconfiguring/rebranding of AM, our miles won't go nearly as far as they do now (and honestly, have seen them loose their value) or I won't be able to use them on what I really want them for.

I am looking at the Grand Palladium and Dreams in Punta Cana. I am definitely going to take a look at the places you are too. Researching and dreaming is half the fun!

My Shell Bonus boom, and a few others, posted. It took about 4 days to post. Just have the BMO Bonus Boom to post and this one will be done!

I'm not sure if I like the Bonus Boom as much as I like the bigger challenges, I mean it's not as hard to get 3 done but you only get 95 AM for the effort (plus whatever for the options themselves). Every little bit helps at this point.

Bambino Olaf is doing well, the dog if a little too excited still so he remains in the guest room. He isn't hiding any more though so that's a good thing. He is so tiny, when I pick up an adult cat now she feels like a tonne. I haven't been able to spend as much time with him today since I am working, but he seems in good spirits when I do go up, and will take some time to play with him when work is done. Dinner will be later today.

And I am semi worried for my December trip. Not so much Carnival since kiddo will only be 11 when we board, and I am still hoping I can get him vaccinated before then, but for the second one, it's RCL and they are saying 12 + have to be vaccinated, and 3 weeks past vaccination... so how does that work when we board 4 days after his birthday? Hopefully, they'll accept a negative test. I have emailed to find out. Worst case, I'll have to cancel that and do something else in Orlando, which is possible, I mean there is always Disney or Universal. At least the hotels I booked are refundable through airmiles. Flights can be changed if necessary. We are going somewhere...

@hdrolfe Actually Royal changed the wording on their site. It now says the vaccinated cruise are only Seattle and Bahamas, meaning they are going the test sailing route and won't need vaccinations. Richard Fain (CEO) put a video out saying that too many families would be excluded from cruising. Celebrity and Silver Seas (both Royal Caribbean Group lines) are going the vaccinated cruises likely due to not many families on board those ships.

@hdrolfe Actually Royal changed the wording on their site. It now says the vaccinated cruise are only Seattle and Bahamas, meaning they are going the test sailing route and won't need vaccinations. Richard Fain (CEO) put a video out saying that too many families would be excluded from cruising. Celebrity and Silver Seas (both Royal Caribbean Group lines) are going the vaccinated cruises likely due to not many families on board those ships.

Thanks, I had heard mixed things, that 12+ will have to be, but then maybe not... I am all for vaccinated cruising! But I want to have the chance to get him his shot. It is frustrating since some provinces, and even some places within Ontario, are offering it as long as they turn 12 this year, while others are not. Any way. Thanks for the info :)

This one I can do at Staples
Get​
150​
AIR MILES® Bonus Miles​

when you spend $50 or more on your
BMO AIR MILES Mastercard at one of the participating Partners below by
May 31, 2021.1​

42394_LOGO_BUDG_E.png
42394_LOGO_GLOB_E.png
42394_LOGO_SPLE_E.png

Hugs Mel

I have spent the last 2 weeks watching endless YouTube videos and researching and looking at resorts. I have thought about putting a deposit down on one in Punta Cana as well, but I was really really wanting to use out miles to help offset the price of a trip for us. Unfortunately when going through Red Tag, there is no deposit or a return of miles if restrictions don't lift or anything like that. But...then I could use those AM pile up to help offset another trip for either a Nascar race trip/weekend for dh 50 birthday present or a trip to Orlando with the boys for Disney/Universal trip.

I am unsure of what to do! I'm also scared of with the reconfiguring/rebranding of AM, our miles won't go nearly as far as they do now (and honestly, have seen them loose their value) or I won't be able to use them on what I really want them for.

I am looking at the Grand Palladium and Dreams in Punta Cana. I am definitely going to take a look at the places you are too. Researching and dreaming is half the fun!
I have gone so far down this rabbit hole it’s now an obsession. Yesterday DH and I talked about it and since he had said either Mexico or Cuba so I focus on Mexico. Then I get frustrated because I’m not finding anything that ticks enough boxes and just when I do I read a bunch of really bad reviews. So I relay this to him and he then says he doesn’t care where we go but wants it to be cheap. LOL....this guy has no idea how much anything costs. Example...he sees a pair of shoes that he likes on sale for $50 and says that’s way too much. Meanwhile the shoes on his feet were $150. Anyway, now I’m back on Punta Cana. Today’s adventure has me on the Majestic which I know from past experience is very popular. Also looked at the Palladium Palace and since all Palladium’s are almost the same I’ll just need to see the map and check out upgrade options. I’ve totally settled on 10 days but need to decide if I’m departing on a weekday or weekend.

I agree that the research is fun!

Not sure if I'm understanding what you are saying. What I got from that video is that all adults who can be vaccinated will need to be vaccinated in order to sail. It will not reach the 95% that the other cruise lines are going for only because it is a family cruise line and children under 12 can't get the vaccine. Is that what your saying as well? Maybe though I am misunderstanding the video. Not sure.

(11) Royal Caribbean Group CEO updates when cruises will begin this summer - YouTube

Hey gang
I am going in for dental surgery tomorrow morning .
Yes I have put this off for far toooooo long.

I won't have time to post the weekly flyers but
here is a link to Reebee
https://www.reebee.com/flyers?status=upcoming
Happy Flyer Browsing
Hugs
Mel

Good luck today!
Feeling frustrated with our foodland flyer . Not much in there we can use and price wise hard no. Their mega pack of KD is $13.99 its $8.99 at no frills and buy 2 get 50 airmiles .. I just can’t ..
Happy Wednesday All

Got an itty bitty offer, get 10 Air Miles Bonus Miles when you opt in and collect at least 5 Miles at Partners before June 8. Should be able to do that, I think. Not that 10 AM is enough to make me really dig dip for this one lol. But every little AM helps I guess? :D

Good Morning
Back to the land of consciousness.
So for Sobeys or Foodland I am forgoing a few fast food restaurants and contributing 20 boxes of Granola bars ($39.80) to the Food Bank.
Things are pretty bad for many people during these times. There are even tables set up outside of some of our grocery stores with free Food on them.
Hey every little bit helps and I get a good feeling & few airmiles in doing so.

Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
Just back from Sobeys. What a PIA. I picked up 4 boxes of stuffed chicken per the flyer. Pick up my other groceries and they all show up correctly on the receipt but not the chicken worth 100AM. Go to customer service before leaving the store. They question my purchase up and down, AM will post automatically when they update the system. Uh no. I want it resolved now. Another cashier comes over and she looks the bill over, the flyer, the fine terms etc. Then she goes and checks the refrigerator where they are displayed. The sign there says I have to purchase 5 to get the 100AM. I then mention that the flyer says 4 so which one are they going to honour. Cashier has to speak with someone upstairs. That person comes down and they then decide they will award me the 100AM while they figure out what has to be done.

100AM is not worth all that. I think I am done with that store. PM me if you shop in Kanata ON and want to know which store.

I just took a peek at the Safeway flyer. I seen a couple items I might purchase for the AM. Ice cream treats always are a hit at our house. I would love to pick up a few of the VH sauces, but will see what I have in my pantry already.

I also seen that if you purchase 3 cards you get 50 AM. I think I can make that one for sure. I have a grad, birthday, anniversary...then Father's day as well. So that might be 6 cards in total.

I'm going to have to make my list for Safeway - not that I'm expecting a bunch of air miles from this shop. I'm really missing Blue Fridays...

On another note, I was still missing the air miles from my Children's Place purchase on March 18, which was my fifth shop for the mix and match. I did a live chat, and the first person said they would put the miles in my account from the CP that I was missing but I would have to wait until June 6 for the 375 air miles to post to finish off the M&M promo. I asked her twice to make sure the air miles would be posted under March 18, and she assured me they would be. Well, they of course posted under today's date. So I did another chat, explained it all again, and this person ("Deborah") went ahead and gave me remaining 375 air miles from the M&M promo.

I swear, in the past 2-3 years of air miles promos, I've only had them post properly once. So frustrating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter