Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Hey gang
I am just sharing something my family has been going through.
My oldest brother (lives in Burlington)..... became very ill about a week and a half ago. He was bleeding internally from the stomach and had a great deal of stomach pain and diarrhea. He was hospitalized at Oakville Hospital and (no covid 19) and they ran some tests and started to treat him. He takes BP pills and his BP was extremely low.
He got the blood work results today,,,,and a call from the Public health dept.
He has a parasitic infection from eating blueberries (location imported from Peru).
Even though he washes all his fruits and vegetables they said that this wouldn't kill this parasite and the only way to do that is freeze the fruit.
He is now at home resting and getting better but he has lost a lot of weight and is still very weak.
It was a very frightening time for us to say the least and I am so happy he is going to be ok.
I know I should not give health /food advise but maybe forgoing those blueberries from Peru that are on sale at Sobeys right now would be a good idea.
Thanks for listening.

Hugs
Mel
Thanks for sharing and I hope he continues to get better.
I'm glad we have this group where we can share this sort of stuff. I could help someone and that is never a bad thing.
Again, thanks!

Hey gang
My oldest brother (lives in Burlington)..... became very ill about a week and a half ago. He was bleeding internally from the stomach and had a great deal of stomach pain and diarrhea. He was hospitalized at Oakville Hospital and (no covid 19) and they ran some tests and started to treat him. He takes BP pills and his BP was extremely low.
He has a parasitic infection from eating blueberries (location imported from Peru).
Even though he washes all his fruits and vegetables they said that this wouldn't kill this parasite and the only way to do that is freeze the fruit.
He is now at home resting and getting better but he has lost a lot of weight and is still very weak.
It was a very frightening time for us to say the least and I am so happy he is going to be ok.
I know I should not give health /food advise but maybe forgoing those blueberries from Peru that are on sale at Sobeys right now would be a good idea.
Thanks for listening.

Hugs
Mel

yikes, i’m so sorry! i’m glad he’s recovering well

Hey gang
Thanks for listening.

Hugs
Mel
Hope your brother gets well soon! This is scary!!

Hey gang
Thanks for listening.

Hugs
Mel

Thank you so much for posting this information Mel, I am so sorry to hear about your brother. This would be scary any time but with Covid it makes it a nightmare.
I shop at Sobeys all the time and I was just thinking about getting berries of some kind-guess it wont be blueberries.
I hope he is back to himself soon!

@bababear_50 I am glad to hear your brother is on the mend. I hope he has a very quick and full recovery!

Thank you for the warning about the blueberries. The hubby loves blueberries and I was going to bake up some healthy blueberry muffins for him. I will now be using frozen ones as well

my little celebration of the day: i’ve earned over 100$ back from checkout 51!

i can’t remember who told me about it, but it was someone in this little community. and it’s another way i can play the shell game and watch my vacation account slowly grow...in a couple years, my family is going to have a wonderful trip!

Hey gang
Thanks for listening.

Hugs
Mel

Oh my gosh, that's awful! I'm glad he's getting better. I don't think I'll be purchasing blueberries any time soon now. Our family loves blueberries but ugh.. never know an issue like that could happen.

Hey gang
Thanks for listening.

Hugs
Mel

So scary, I’m glad your brother is doing better now. Thank you for sharing this info with everyone. I do hope anyone else who has already purchased these blueberries from Peru hasn’t become as seriously ill.

just a few thoughts on the upcoming shell offer - you need to earn at least one BASE mile each of the 3 weeks and that means spending at LEAST $15 for a return of only $10 . It's been mentioned that the bonus will come as cash miles which*might* help during STB but that remains to be seen, who knows if there will be an offer for using cash miles 🤷‍♀️
I'll need to look at the instore offers to see if I can manage to get over my 1:1 ratio or we'll be sitting this one out.

Lowes has 5x miles right now for purchases over $100 if you need anything. We're replacing all our toilets and the one we want is on sale this week, so I went through airmileshops for the spend $100 get 50AM, and the 5x miles at Lowes direct. We could have waited for the Black Friday multipliers, but the sale was good so this made sense for us.

I just ordered new boots from the Bay so I will get the spend $100 get 50 and it was also 2x the points. I had also gotten an email from the Bay about bonus rewards points as well so a good day of shopping for me. Can you believe that they have brought back the old Cougar boots that I wore when I was in my teens and that was in the 70's? Yup I am in the over 60 age group. Can't wait to get them. I used to joke to a co-worker that I had boots that were older than her as I had kept those cougar boots a long time. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts