Airline recommendations needed - post-Mediterranean cruise, Barcelona to Paris

wideeyedwonder

DIS Veteran
We want to add on time in Europe to our Mediterranean cruise, by flying post-cruise from Barcelona, Spain, to Paris, France. Any recommendations for the best airlines (service, accommodating English speakers, safety, price)?

There are plenty of airlines serving the BCN-CDG or ORY route, but many are low-cost European airlines that have little or no baggage allowance included in the fare, and those can add up quickly if you are travelling with the usual cruising luggage. I would make sure to check the rules concerning luggage before booking.

It is a quick flight, often traveled for weekend getaways. Do not expect stellar service on any airline, but you should be able to be served in English on any airline. I would use a flight search engine, like Google Flights or Hopper to find the best flight for your need. I would look for an airline with multiple flights a day, probably Air France or Iberia. I’m guessing those two will be your main options, Iberia probably using their low-cost name (Vueling) on that route.

Finally, if both options are available, I would prefer arriving in Charles-De-Gaulle over Orly, simply because it’s better served by transports to Paris. Orly is not a great airport to fly into.

Our adult daughter used Vueling back in 2019, flying in the other direction to do a DCL cruise after a visit to Paris/Disneyland. I believe the flight time was about 2 hours, She described it as typical discount carrier with extra fees for luggage, seat selection, and perhaps even to make changes. There were a lot of available flights.

Unless it's a budget airline, such as RyanAir, I think they're more similar than dissimilar. It's a short flight - less than 2 hours. I'd probably go with Air France. Make sure it includes seat selection and luggage. If you have the time, the train is a nice option.

I've flown EasyJet several times. As with most low cost, strict baggage allowance, so factor bag fees into cost of ticket. Also could be extra charge for seat reservations--but still a great price. Air France and also Vueling would be my choices.

Unless it's a budget airline, such as RyanAir, I think they're more similar than dissimilar. It's a short flight - less than 2 hours. I'd probably go with Air France. Make sure it includes seat selection and luggage. If you have the time, the train is a nice option.

I had briefly though of train transportation, but what would be the logistics, time commitment, and cost? The train has the benefit of "site seeing" along the route from the train coach, and I'd like that, but if we are talking a day's worth of travel, or if there is a need to keep switching trains, that could be prohibitive. Thoughts?

We liked Easy Jet when we flew around Europe a few years ago. They do have baggage fees (and pay attention to the weight restrictions) but it was still cheaper than some others in the end. Avoid Alitalia, they were TERRIBLE.

I had briefly though of train transportation, but what would be the logistics, time commitment, and cost? The train has the benefit of "site seeing" along the route from the train coach, and I'd like that, but if we are talking a day's worth of travel, or if there is a need to keep switching trains, that could be prohibitive. Thoughts?
From a rapid web search, I see there’s one rapid train a day, that leaves at 9:10AM. It might be too close from the moment you disembark. Count around 30 minutes from the port to the Sants train station. I would probably plan to spend a day in BCN if going by train, because there is no other option on the same day if you miss it.

The train takes 6h36m to reach Gare de Lyon, which is in the center of the city. Having travelled extensively on TGV trains in France, I can tell you not to expect to see anything interesting out the windows, just a lot of fields, tunnels and run-down train stations. The crossing of the Pyrénées might be interesting.

The cost varies a lot. I’m able to book a first-class ticket for this summer for 120 Euros, which will be cheaper than the plane if you factor in the cost of getting into the city from the Paris airport. Closer dates see the price double.

All in, from port to your hotel in Paris, including the airport security, the time from the airport to Paris and the duration of travel, it looks like flying into Paris would take about an hour less than the train, assuming there are no airport delays on either end.

All in, from port to your hotel in Paris, including the airport security, the time from the airport to Paris and the duration of travel, it looks like flying into Paris would take about an hour less than the train, assuming there are no airport delays on either end.

Thanks for that, I am now considering this, very helpful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter