airline prices are scareing me!

Jenfrog79

Mouseketeer
i'm looking up different airlines right now and i just can't believe the prices! its just two adults from either hartford, ct or manchester, NH from 4/19 - 4/24 with some flexibility of a couples days either way.
its coming out to be about $1000 total. i just don't get it!
in a couple we're going to see a travel agent and i have no clue what she will be able to get us....ugh. am i missing something?

Is that a school break week? I remember I went around that time a couple of years ago and it was New England school break.

it is, but we can fly out from a different state in the area thats not on break.
some airlines i can look up the whole month and there is not that much difference. i just can't believe it. i really wish these prices would go down some.

I spring there's always a spring break somewhere. I expect higher prices from mid-March to mid-May. If it's not HS it's college. If the students in your area aren't on break, there are students on break elsewhere coming home to your area.

yea thats true.

but we went this time last year and it wasn't this bad.

a little OT: i dont' get this, i went to price a package on deltavacations.com. our 5 night stay at All star music will be $493. for 2 adults with airfare it was showing up as $1200 per person. that would mean that airfare would come out to around $1000 per person? but if i price the airfare separate its about half that. how can the package come out so much higher? i'm confused.......

Well, packages are packages and airfare is airfare, and they don't necessarily coincide.

As for the 'unusually hgh' airfares in either case, well, bluntly, airlines aren't charities, they're businesses - and they won't continue to stay in business if they repeatedly seel the product at less than it costs to provide.

The best I've been able to find is $221 RT per person on Continental for 4/20-4/23 via Hotwire, MHT to MCO and return. Play with Kayak and Hotwire for a while and see what you come up with.

The last Airtan and Delta sales were only through March 11. I would expect that sometime in January you can expect to find sales covering your dates.

I am not really sure where you are located but I just checked Allegiant from Allentown,PA (I fly this airline from Springfield,MO to Vegas a lot because I work in Vegas) and the 2 of you can fly the exact dates you want for only $416 total. I flew this airline last month for the first to Orlando because I had a conference to attend at Disney and really liked it. Now, granted it is further from Disney (27 miles) than MCO but being that it is a smaller airport it is less busy and easier to get in and out of so the time is about the same as MCO but the savings are well worth it. I have been to Orlando more than 33 times in the past 8 years and this was the 1st time I have flown into Sanford it was nice not to fight the crowds of MCO and get out of the airport immediately.
Hope this helps!
pirate: pirate:

i'm looking up different airlines right now and i just can't believe the prices! its just two adults from either hartford, ct or manchester, NH from 4/19 - 4/24 with some flexibility of a couples days either way.
its coming out to be about $1000 total. i just don't get it!
in a couple we're going to see a travel agent and i have no clue what she will be able to get us....ugh. am i missing something?

Perhaps it's the school break issue. Delta has had fares from BDL off and on for the past week ~ $199 - $209 RT Tues, Wed, and Sat flights. We booked direct flights for May for $199 RT. I see that if you went Tues to Tues it would be $209 RT. good luck!

Jet Blue has flights out of White Plains for your exact preferred dates (and some dates around those) for ~ $250 RT.

Keep checking. We're flying during Easter week, which I thought would be outrageously expensive, and I got Southwest for pretty cheap -- one way was $72 and the other way was $99. Of course, our dates are flexible so I played around to get those fares......
We fly out of BUF.

I am not really sure where you are located but I just checked Allegiant from Allentown,PA (I fly this airline from Springfield,MO to Vegas a lot because I work in Vegas) and the 2 of you can fly the exact dates you want for only $416 total. I flew this airline last month for the first to Orlando because I had a conference to attend at Disney and really liked it. Now, granted it is further from Disney (27 miles) than MCO but being that it is a smaller airport it is less busy and easier to get in and out of so the time is about the same as MCO but the savings are well worth it. I have been to Orlando more than 33 times in the past 8 years and this was the 1st time I have flown into Sanford it was nice not to fight the crowds of MCO and get out of the airport immediately.
Hope this helps!
pirate: pirate:

i'm in central massachusetts and we can fly out of Manchester, NH or Hartford, CT. but would they have disney's magical express there? we'll be staying onsite and not renting a car.

Perhaps it's the school break issue. Delta has had fares from BDL off and on for the past week ~ $199 - $209 RT Tues, Wed, and Thurs flights. We booked direct flights for May for $199 RT. I see that if you went Tues to Tues it would be $209 RT. good luck!

Jet Blue has flights out of White Plains for your exact preferred dates (and some dates around those) for ~ $250 RT.

that sounds good. but i also work in a school so i only have the week of the 19th off and i can't take additional time off. We're going for 5 nights so i guess i'm just flexible for 5 nights within that week...lol

No DME from/to Sanford - but why eliminate Logan? Even if it's a bit further, there are many, many, MANY more flights in and out each day, and so much better chances of more affordable fares.

the only reason we are not considering Logan is because we've always gone out of the smaller airports and we live on the other side of the state. Logan is just so hard to get in and out of that the other airports are just easier

Well, you need to weigh convenience against price. Since you said your dates are a little flexible, I found - using kayak.com - $320 per person round trip on Northwest from Logan to MCO. Depart 4/20/09, return 4/25/09 - same length trip, moved back one day.

try White plains NY-you can get good rates from WP-nonstop to MCO

And just because the other states aren't on break... doesn't mean your neighbors aren't flying out of there too!

Personally I think you are pushing it waiting on a sale for Spring Break week out of the NE. You aren't the only one trying to go someplace warmer LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!