Airline baggage charge question

Linda in sunny SC

Just 1 Member of a Disney-Fanatical Family
I've just received my flight info from DCL. I'll be on Delta going to Orlando but on US Air returning. If I check my bag on the ship for the return flight, how do I go about paying the baggage fee? Or does this prevent you from being able to check you bag on the ship at all?

We didn't have to pay the baggage fee for our return flight since we checked the bags with DCL. We flew AA as well, which charges for the 1st bag, so this saved us $30. I'm not sure if this is always the case, though.

I've just received my flight info from DCL. I'll be on Delta going to Orlando but on US Air returning. If I check my bag on the ship for the return flight, how do I go about paying the baggage fee? Or does this prevent you from being able to check you bag on the ship at all?

I heard somewhere here that DCL would start collecting the baggage fees, but don't quote me on that.

Where in SC are you? I am also in SC.

We just used AirTran and the DCL onboard check-in feature in July. AirTran started charging for the 2nd bag in May so we went DOWN with only 1 checked each and took 1 extra carry-on empty. But we were really, really close on our 50 Lb weight (on the way down one bag weighed 48 Lbs and one bag weighed 50.3 & they made me take something out to get rid of that .3 oz or else they were going to charge the $25 fee!! There was NO forgiveness!) Anyway, I also had a couple other tote type bags with us that could be used as carry-ons & the one empty one could be checked along with one of our other carry-ons, so as a precaution at the port at check-in, when they asked how many bags we were checking on our return trip I went ahead & put down 2 extras so they would print the airline tags for us to deliver to the room with our boarding passes. Better to have them if I needed them than not have them - if I didn't need them then nothing would be lost they just wouldn't be used. Anyway, the guy insisted we would not be charged for the extra bags and we were not!! I don't know how it worked out, but we put 5 bags out in the hallway for the 3 of us and we were never charged anything extra. When we picked up our luggage they were just all there.:confused3

I have been avoiding this issue but now am curious how this will effect our family's vacation.

We booked our air last year through DCL, before all of the extra bag charges came into effect.

So, I guess when we check our extra bag(s) on the flight down, we are going to get hit with the extra bag charge(s).

But the post above raises questions about the extra baggage charge(s) on the way back.

The baggage charge issue will have a serious impact on our packing. (Pirate costumes will be left home - formal night attire may go next).

Soooo, any information would be welcomed.:)

P.S. I assume we will be on USAir - that was our air carrier through DCL last time but my flight info isn't available yet.

If you booked your flights before the airlines started charging, you are grandfathered in, so you will not have to pay. I called usair to find out the situation.pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter