Airfare to London: OMG!!!

Are prices similar to fly into Paris? Of course, it would basically require an extra 6-hours travel but the Eurostar from Paris to London is a nice ride(3-hours and you gain an hour) and the train is very comfortable. Just thinking of potential options. Glad we got a London/France trip in a few months ago...

Are prices similar to fly into Paris? Of course, it would basically require an extra 6-hours travel but the Eurostar from Paris to London is a nice ride(3-hours and you gain an hour) and the train is very comfortable. Just thinking of potential options. Glad we got a London/France trip in a few months ago...
I'm not sure, I'd have to check. But honestly, it would have to be SERIOUSLY less for me to do that, mostly because Charles de Gaulle is pretty much the most horrendous airport I've ever been through. No desire to go through there again if I can avoid it! But thanks for the suggestion! :thumbsup2

ETA:
J checked, and it's a little bit less (maybe $200) but I'm pretty sure the Eurostar would eat up that difference anyways. But I do appreciate you trying!

Sayhello

Oh, good heavens!!! Kayak is INSANE!!! I was checking the airfare again, and THIS is the itinerary Kayak came up with as cheapest! Seriously!! (And it's a whole $5 less than Aer Lingus):

I'd have to be SERIOUSLY DESPERATE to even consider this flight!!!

Columbus (CMH) → London (LHR)

Columbus (CMH) → Newark (EWR)
US.png

US Airways 4484
Takeoff: 7:07 am EDT
Columbus (CMH)
Landing: 8:43 am EDT
Philadelphia (PHL)
Duration: 1h 36m

Layover in Philadelphia (PHL) for 0 hours 47 minutes

Philadelphia (PHL) → Newark (EWR)
US.png

US Airways 4867
Takeoff: 9:30 am EDT
Philadelphia (PHL)
Landing: 10:23 am EDT
Newark (EWR)
Duration: 0h 53m

Newark (EWR) → Lisbon (LIS) This flight leaves on Sun and arrives on Mon
TP.png

TAP Portugal 204
Takeoff: 5:55 pm EDT
Newark (EWR)
Landing: 6:05 am WEST
Lisbon (LIS)
Duration: 7h 10m

Lisbon (LIS) → London (LHR)
TP.png

TAP Portugal 362
Takeoff: 8:15 pm WEST
Lisbon (LIS)
Landing: 10:55 pm BST
London (LHR)
Duration: 2h 40m

Return:

London (LHR) → Columbus (CMH)

London (LHR) → Lisbon (LIS)
TP.png

TAP Portugal 351
Takeoff: 6:00 am BST
London (LHR)
Landing: 8:35 am WEST
Lisbon (LIS)
Duration: 2h 35m

Layover in Lisbon (LIS) for 4 hours 45 minutes

Lisbon (LIS) → Newark (EWR)
TP.png

TAP Portugal 203
Takeoff: 1:20 pm WEST
Lisbon (LIS)
Landing: 4:25 pm EDT
Newark (EWR)
Duration: 8h 05m

Layover in Newark (EWR) for 2 hours 4 minutes

Newark (EWR) → Philadelphia (PHL)
US.png

US Airways 4042
Takeoff: 6:29 pm EDT
Newark (EWR)
Landing: 7:27 pm EDT
Philadelphia (PHL)
Duration: 0h 58m

Layover in Philadelphia (PHL) for 1 hour 13 minutes

Philadelphia (PHL) → Columbus (CMH)
US.png

US Airways 4614
Takeoff: 8:40 pm EDT
Philadelphia (PHL)
Landing: 10:12 pm EDT
Columbus (CMH)
Duration: 1h 32m
Note: The total travel time given for the first flight from CMH - LHR is 34h 48m. The Return flight is a mere 21h 12m! :eek:

Sayhello

Oh, good heavens!!! Kayak is INSANE!!! I was checking the airfare again, and THIS is the itinerary Kayak came up with as cheapest! Seriously!! (And it's a whole $5 less than Aer Lingus):

Note: The total travel time given for the first flight from CMH - LHR is 34h 48m. The Return flight is a mere 21h 12m! :eek:

Sayhello

Look at it this way you can say you visited all of those places!!!

Desperate is not the word I would use if you even considered that itinerary much less booked it, the word insane comes too mind as a good way to describe it.

WOW!!!! I'm dizzy just reading THAT flight schedule ....... and having flown into Lisbon , well let's say Columbus is JFK compared to the ability to get through that airport.:rotfl: More and more it looks like, as Tozzie says, having to choose airfare BEFORE the trip. Funny how that works.

I'm not sure, I'd have to check. But honestly, it would have to be SERIOUSLY less for me to do that, mostly because Charles de Gaulle is pretty much the most horrendous airport I've ever been through. No desire to go through there again if I can avoid it! But thanks for the suggestion! :thumbsup2 ETA: J checked, and it's a little bit less (maybe $200) but I'm pretty sure the Eurostar would eat up that difference anyways. But I do appreciate you trying! Sayhello

This is true -maybe €75 one-way depending when you book. I'm not sure when your trip is, but with airfares at those levels I would hold off as long as possible. Very tough situation -you don't want to be left with fully booked flights either. Good luck!

Look at it this way you can say you visited all of those places!!!

Desperate is not the word I would use if you even considered that itinerary much less booked it, the word insane comes too mind as a good way to describe it.
I'm not that desperate to add them to my list of places I've been! And yes, I'd have to be insane to book that!!!

Sayhello

WOW!!!! I'm dizzy just reading THAT flight schedule ....... and having flown into Lisbon , well let's say Columbus is JFK compared to the ability to get through that airport.:rotfl: More and more it looks like, as Tozzie says, having to choose airfare BEFORE the trip. Funny how that works.
I'll tell you, the trip that I was looking at before, the airfare is still at what I'd consider a "normal" level. It's not enough to make me change my plans, but man, it might be a consideration before I book next time!

Sayhello

This is true -maybe €75 one-way depending when you book. I'm not sure when your trip is, but with airfares at those levels I would hold off as long as possible. Very tough situation -you don't want to be left with fully booked flights either. Good luck!
Yep. That's the conundrum. I don't want to pay too much, but I don't want to be stuck with bad flights, either!

Sayhello

Not sure if it is the same for you booking in USA but BA World sale is on at the moment until 27 January and Aer Lingus just sent me an email today announcing their sale.

I booked our May flights with BA during their last sale but this new sale beats that price by £100 for two return flights.

Not sure if it is the same for you booking in USA but BA World sale is on at the moment until 27 January and Aer Lingus just sent me an email today announcing their sale.

I booked our May flights with BA during their last sale but this new sale beats that price by £100 for two return flights.
I haven't really been looking at BA because they're usually so much higher than other airlines. Right now, they're still higher, just not by as much. I don't know if the sale just doesn't apply to fares from the USA, or if it just doesn't extend to August... But thanks! I'll keep an eye on it!

Sayhello

I haven't really been looking at BA because they're usually so much higher than other airlines. Right now, they're still higher, just not by as much. I don't know if the sale just doesn't apply to fares from the USA, or if it just doesn't extend to August...

Sayhello

I was on BA's website today - double checking our ressie from London to Rome, we leave tomorrow :cool1: - and saw the sale. I checked it out for an upcoming Paris trip, but the drop down menu did not have flights originating in the US. So I'm thinking it's a "from Europe" sale.

I often fly to London for family holidays so I know your pain. I was expecting horrible fares for our ABD Peru trip next August, so I was thrilled to find business class from SFO round trip for just $400 more pp than coach and still only about $1800 per person!

To Sayhello,

Have a look at my reply on the other thread Re your flights

I have given Overhead Cabin bin luggage measurements.

Sayhello

The default settings on Kayak will give you some "unusual" routing to save a dollar or two.

Hipmunk.com does a better job, default settings, displaying flights which make sense.
http://www.momondo.com/ does a good job displaying consolidator fares not typically shown on other sites. Beware of the limitations of consolidator fares

Try flights out of Cleveland and Chicago.

The default settings on Kayak will give you some "unusual" routing to save a dollar or two.

Hipmunk.com does a better job, default settings, displaying flights which make sense.
http://www.momondo.com/ does a good job displaying consolidator fares not typically shown on other sites. Beware of the limitations of consolidator fares

Try flights out of Cleveland and Chicago.
Thanks, Lewisc. I'll check those sites out. I never purchase from those sites, though. I just use them for research, then go to the airline's website to actually buy.

And it would take me way too long to get to either Cleveland or Chicago. I doubt the airfare would be low enough to entice me to all that driving on top of flying!!!

Sayhello

ETA: I did check. Currently the airfares from Cleveland are the same as from Columbus. And, except for Aer Lingus, the same is true for Chicago. This is quite a pain!

$1400 sounds pretty good. My son is stationed in Alaska and when he came home last Xmas, his plane tix was $1800. Needless to say, he's not coming home this Xmas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter