Aircast

smileyk8

DIS Veteran
hi there, this may be the wrong area as my foot is only a temporary issue but here goes!
I broke my 5th metatarsal 8 months ago and am waiting for surgery. Meanwhile I’m in an aircast. It looks like surgery will be after our holiday at the end of July so I’m trying to figure out how to do disney with the boot just in case.
Are there any ride restrictions with an aircast? How on Earth do I keep it dry in the epic thunderstorms? Do people get spare liners or something as I feel it’s going to get hot and damp inside!!! I can walk around ok with the boot so wouldn’t plan on using a scooter etc.
Anything else I should think about???
Thank you!

As fate as ride there is no restriction on rides. I know people that can and have walked around Disney all day in an air cast then I know some that could not. I would have a few rental for ECV just in case you need the extra help. You do not have to use the ECV all the time.

This is definitely the right area! There was a good thread about how to keep a walking boot dry recently: https://www.disboards.com/threads/keeping-your-walking-boot-dry.3744625/. Hopefully someone else can chime in about any ride restrictions - I don't think so but you may find it tricky getting in and out of rides but you probably know that.

Disney is a lot of walking - a whole lot - you may want to have a backup plan in case it gets to be too much. Off-site scooter rental is better than renting at the parks because the scooters are nicer/cheaper. You can always use the scooter when you need to cover larger distances and park it (usually in the same area as stroller parking) and come back to it when you need it.

I am in a walking boot right now -- week 4 of 6. This is the second time I've been in a boot.

Read the thread Selket linked above. You can get waterproof covers [they won't help with walking *through* water though] and extra liners.

I highly recommend considering an ECV rental. There is a LOT of walking at Disney. You may think you are walking ok now, but walking the parks and resorts is a whole different ballgame normally, let alone with a boot. Also consider that you are probably slightly imbalanced even if you are using an Evenup. That little bit will become significant to your joints with the amount of walking. With an ECV you can park it and walk an area, you don't have to ride it the entire time, either.

The last time I had a boot, two years ago, I had to fly for work, with a connecting flight. Just walking the airport for the connecting flight was a challenge. I arranged for wheelchair assistance for the return flight.

A note about flying, if you are: the air bladders will exapnded as you ascend. I forgot to deflate them once I was on the plane and safely seated. As we ascended they rapidly expanded -- I went form fine to suddenly being in intense pain. Fortunately I quickly figured out what was happening and scrambled to deflate the boot -- a bit of a challenge seatbelted into a cramped economy seat that is still climbing... Once we got to altitude I inflated them again, then adjusted once we were back on the ground. And remembered to deflate for the return ascent. So: physics. :-)

SW

Sorry for my slow reply- I’ve been really pushing to get my surgery brought forward so I’ve been in denial again about having the cast at Disney!

Thank you all for your replies. I’ll definitely look into extra liners and covers. It’s great to know there aren’t any restrictions. Just need to figure out how to manage at the water park with my little ones. Imagine I’ll be sent to a sun bed

Looks like scooters might not be ruled out for me and thank you so much for the air bladder advice. Yes I have a 9 hour flight!!!

Sorry for my slow reply- I’ve been really pushing to get my surgery brought forward so I’ve been in denial again about having the cast at Disney!

Thank you all for your replies. I’ll definitely look into extra liners and covers. It’s great to know there aren’t any restrictions. Just need to figure out how to manage at the water park with my little ones. Imagine I’ll be sent to a sun bed

Looks like scooters might not be ruled out for me and thank you so much for the air bladder advice. Yes I have a 9 hour flight!!!

For the water parks, consider renting and umbrella or patio. IF you're going to be stuck at a base, having a nice base in the shade cane be helpful :-)

We rented an umbrella during our last Typhoon Lagoon visit and I would do it again. The one we were assigned was located near the main QS restaurant, in a nice quiet and shaded area with other rented umbrellas and a couple of the patios. Umbrella, two loungers, two chairs, small table, towels. IF you google you will find some nice reviews and videos of the umbrellas and the patios which will give you a good idea of each and what they include and are like.

SW

I did an aircast at Disney there were no ride restrictions. In fact when getting in line most of the time I was sent to the wheelchair line. The lining of the aircast gets hot and sweaty and smelly. I would wash the lining out at night since I did not wear it to bed and hung it up to dry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!