Air France Passenger Takes Off Pants on Flight

We've flown Air France and we took the subways fairly extensively in Paris. I didn't see anybody in an unusual state of undress and I'd expect the same type of decorum on an airplane. I don't think we can chalk this up to being a "French" thing. I think the guy was just boorish or maybe even a bit deranged. :rolleyes1

I can second this as a European who has visited France many times. While we may be slightly more lax about certain things, wearing just underwear on a plane or in any other public place for that matter would raise many eyebrows and certainly wouldn’t be viewed as acceptable behaviour on a plane. Perhaps the cabin crew’s attitude was just a little “laissez faire”?

I can second this as a European who has visited France many times. While we may be slightly more lax about certain things, wearing just underwear on a plane or in any other public place for that matter would raise many eyebrows and certainly wouldn’t be viewed as acceptable behaviour on a plane. Perhaps the cabin crew’s attitude was just a little “laissez faire”?
As with most customer-facing roles, simply keeping the peace is top priority. I'd wager if the lady complaining had continued to complain, especially if it was arousing the concern of other passengers, FAs would have dealt with underwear guy.

OK, yes, I'm bumping a thread but it's an update (sort of)...

Thomas Cook airlines threatened to throw a young woman off a plane (obviously while at the gate) because of what SHE was wearing.
https://www.indiatoday.in/trending-...19-03-14?utm_source=quora&utm_medium=referral

Do those who think the man should have been asked to cover up agree the woman was correctly asked to cover up? Based on the picture in the article, I think both garments are comparable and personally don't have a huge issue with either.

Thomas Cook airlines threatened to throw a young woman off a plane (obviously while at the gate) because of what SHE was wearing.
https://www.indiatoday.in/trending-...19-03-14?utm_source=quora&utm_medium=referral

Do those who think the man should have been asked to cover up agree the woman was correctly asked to cover up? Based on the picture in the article, I think both garments are comparable and personally don't have a huge issue with either.

I heard about this but hadn't seen what she was wearing.

Your question is intriguing. In his situation the airline refused to intervene. In the situation of a woman the airline absolutely intervened. Yet your question addresses the issue in a way that challenges those who said the man should have been asked to cover up, while asking about the correctness of asking the woman to cover up.

My question is, why weren't both treated the same?

My question is, why weren't both treated the same?
This is simple... different airlines, different policies. I don't think you can hold Thomas Cook Airlines to the same policies as BA (was it BA?).

ETA: I feel the airlines can set their own individual policies. I do wonder though if those who said the man should have covered up agree in the the woman's case.

I saw that yesterday and immediately thought of this thread.

I don't think anyone should be stripping down to their underwear or panties while on board a plane. I have no problem with crop tops on men or women on planes.

It takes a lot to offend me, so I wouldn't have cared either way. What this woman is wearing has less potential to be revealing than the guy in boxer shorts. The issue with the boxer shorts is that his junk could be exposed at anytime -some people may be offended by that, so the risk of it happening is greater imo. Of course, that brings me back to the time back in the 80's when my future wife and I were sitting on the curb waiting for the afternoon parade and the guy sitting directly across from us was sharing a portion of his personal life with us. How he didn't realize he had a problem with his shorts is beyond me, but there they were....

For the sake of security, I think we should all strip nude before going through security and remain nude until baggage claim at our destination.

Reactions: GAN
For the sake of security, I think we should all strip nude before going through security and remain nude until baggage claim at our destination.

I'm not sure if that would make some people feel more secure, or more insecure.....

I have no problem what that lady is wearing. Good looking girl, 21 years old, right weight. I wouldn’t have a problem if she was naked on the flight.

It takes a lot to offend me, so I wouldn't have cared either way. What this woman is wearing has less potential to be revealing than the guy in boxer shorts. The issue with the boxer shorts is that his junk could be exposed at anytime -some people may be offended by that, so the risk of it happening is greater imo. Of course, that brings me back to the time back in the 80's when my future wife and I were sitting on the curb waiting for the afternoon parade and the guy sitting directly across from us was sharing a portion of his personal life with us. How he didn't realize he had a problem with his shorts is beyond me, but there they were....

Agree with this

This is simple... different airlines, different policies. I don't think you can hold Thomas Cook Airlines to the same policies as BA (was it BA?).

ETA: I feel the airlines can set their own individual policies. I do wonder though if those who said the man should have covered up agree in the the woman's case.

Different airlines? Golly gee, I had no idea.

As far as what I think between the two, it seems the woman's top is actually intended to be outerwear designed for wearing in public. The man stripped down to his underwear, which is designed to be worn under other clothing.
Whether or not I would choose to wear her top on an airplane shouldn't affect her ability to do so.

I have no problem what that lady is wearing. Good looking girl, 21 years old, right weight. I wouldn’t have a problem if she was naked on the flight.

Of course for a woman her looks should factor into it, because that is after all the essential core of what it is to be a woman, right?

Of course for a woman her looks should factor into it, because that is after all the essential core of what it is to be a woman, right?

I'm guessing that if it had been Channing Tatum in boxer shorts that that would have factored into the equation.

I do not have an issue with what she was wearing. Leaving the beach areas of the canaries I doubt it would have even registered with me at all. I think it is nutty that she was threatened with being removed from the plane based on that outfit.

Interesting that Thomas Cook's statement claims they have an appropriate attire policy---i certainly isn't easy to find. I have looked all around on their website and googled for it to no avail. If passengers are expected to adhere to a dress code, it seems that dress code ought to be readily available for viewing so no one is caught unaware. This was an outfit that is well within the norm for wearing in public in both the country of origin and the destination of the flight.

That said, there are a couple of key differences between the incidents:

1. she was wearing this as her clothing for the entire flight (totally valid, IMO; as this is well within the norm for clothing worn on public in both Spain and the UK). The man was wearing boxers as "pajamas" during the darkened cabin/sleep portion of an overnight long haul flight. He had other clothing for "day" other times including boarding and disembarking the plane.

2. She was on a British airline, he was on a French airline. The comfort level with nudity and bodies in general is very different between the two cultures.

(and, NO, I do not intend to say that it is normal to go about in France wearing only boxers---just that there are differences in cultural reactions to the amount of flesh shown AND that the boxers were worn as "PJs" not normal out in public clothing at normal full light times on the flight, which makes it somewhat different in the type of reaction one might receive, IMO.)

Last edited:
The photo shown of the woman on Thomas Cook is often NOT of the outfit she was wearing. It's a black top, but not THE black top. The actual black top is essentially a bikini top, with two triangles to cover the breasts. Except they barely cover her breasts, because she tied the neck strings very loosely. Consequently, the triangles sit low. Very low. So low that her nipples are barely within the triangle and reaching for the air vent above her could be enough for a wardrobe malfunction. I'm not surprised she was asked to put on a jacket. I am surprised that Boxer Guy was not made to wear pants. I wouldn't want to sit next to him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter