Air B and B scam for Vistana please read.

Bella the Ball 360

Keyboarding is not my thing excuse typos.<br><font
In the past we have always used Sky Auction to book our trips. They are great. Unfortunately, this year they did not have the resort we wanted which was Sheraton Vistana. My son stumbled across a booking for Vistana while checking Air B and B (which up till now I refused to use). It looked legitimate and so we booked from a vendor the last name starts with P. ( not using full name so this does not get cut)

.WE booked 2 weeks( all she would allow from her inventory) and found out there were hidden fees of over 600.00. This was still better than the rack rate that Marriott had for the resort and there was actually nothing we could do because we had already booked the two weeks. We added through Marriott two days in the beginning of the two weeks and two days at the end but the middle was through this person who claimed to be a realtor. Since our dealings with Sky Auction had always been fantastic we thought this was a similar set up.

First what I had not realized was that she was a third party booker and this was not supposed to happen on Air B and B. As the time drew closer, we tried to contact her and it was difficult. The only way we could was to call ABB and tell them she was not responding. WE need her to send the reservation down to Vistana. The first time we reached her she pretty much off handedly said I manage over 100 properties and indicated you are small potatoes in so many words.
After many, many, many attempts to ask her to send down the reservation, and a kick in the behind from ABB she SAID she sent them down. Keep in mind the fee had to clear before she would do this and that cleared at least two months before. GREAT! Even when Vistana said they did not get it, she insisted she sent it!!

Because we reserved from Marriott we had our first days at the condo all set and arrived on the Thursday. Our ABB reservation started on the Sunday and we constantly checked with the manager to see if she sent down the reservations. Well SHE DIDN'T. After countless calls to her and ABB the day before our ABB reservation was supposed to kick in SHE CANCELLED OUR RESERVATIONS!!!!!!!!!! NO, she did not inform us either. So here we are in Orlando with NOTHING but two days at the end of the trip at Vistana!!

Luckily the manager of the resort had held our 2 weeks in the middle of the stay so we were frantic but not hysterical. The manager was WONDERFUL! Despite him giving us the best rate he could after knowing our plight and without asking him to (restoring my faith in humanity) it still cost us 500.00 more than we had paid on Air B and B but we were just relieved that we had a two week reservation.

When we called air B and B they of course were apologetic and refunded our payment BUT NOT THE FEE. This went to MS. P. (she deals in Vistana rentals so she will be easy to spot) and she would not refund it.
ABB told us that SHE HAD MANY COMPLAINTS of this type against her name. and clearly nobody could post on the review. Oh great what are they doing about it ? NOW you tell us!

HERE IS THE KICKER, YOU CANNOT WRITE A REVIEVW OF A VENDOR ON AIR B AND B IF YOU NEVER USE THE RESERVATION!! BECAUSE WE COULD ONLY SEE GOOD REVIEWS WE HAD NO IDEA( HAVING BEEN USED TO SKY AUCTION ). SCAM, SCAM, SCAM AND THIS PERSON
HAS GOT IT DOWN PAT!!!

SHE ONLY ALLOWS YOU TO BOOK A TWO WEEK STAY THAT WAY SHE IS UNDER A 1000,00 IN FEES WHICH I ASSUME IS SOME SORT OF CUT OFF FOR CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.
Clearly ABB does not police the vendors on their site. If they do they are doing a horrible job of it.

We put a claim in on our Discover card and hopefully will recoup the fee. They will go after her but, what if we were not proactive and seasoned travelers stuck in Orlando with no where to go? What if we were family on a tight budget and it was our first trip? I could go on and on with these scenarios. It cost us an additional 500.00 for the rooms which trust me we were relieved to pay only that much. There is a special place in the "underworld" for her and I hope she is relegated to an office with a phone that never stops ringing!

Honestly, I would never rent an Air B and B because I do not like the thought of NOT dealing with a corporation like a Marriott or Hilton and my feelings were only solidified after this experience.

Staying in someone else's house freaks me out but who knew this bottom feeder could hide under the cover of a large hotel chain. ABB will find you somewhere else to stay but not knowing the area and only being able to stay in strangers homes was not an option for me! The 250 sorry gift for a credit to stay on another property from them for this situation was, in my opinion, ironic and humorous , the only use for me is to set the paper it's printed on afire for warmth in the winter!!! I would much prefer that they change their posting policy so that bottom feeders can be exposed.

I am a solo female traveler and used Airbnb twice in LA with no issues. The fault is with you not Airbnb.

Both places I stayed I would stay again as I had no issues with the system OR the places I stayed.

You need to be streetwise and research research research before booking an Airbnb

I will only
  1. choose an area I know and have stayed in before or have researched
  2. pick a Superhost with RECENT good reviews
  3. stay in a property where I have direct communication with the host BEFORE arrival
  4. stay in a property which is only used for Airbnb, not the hosts main residence
  5. stay in a property where I have the full property, not a shared or room only

I am so sorry this happened to you, OP. How frustrating and stressful. But I wouldn't give up on Airbnb. They really are great. We've used them more times that I can count, and we have never ever had any problems. This past summer, we even did a 2-week road trip where we stayed at a total of SEVEN different Airbnb properties back-to-back with no issues at all. The key really is to make sure you're dealing directly with the host, and that the host has lots of good reviews from recent guests. I also make sure that everything is 100% refundable for at least a short window. During that window, I reach out directly to the host to introduce myself and ask a question or two. If the host doesn't respond in a timely fashion, I cancel. Of course, it's always possible that you still might experience an issue even with taking these precautions, but that's always a risk with any travel. I'm glad everything ultimately worked out for you this time. Have a great vacation!

I am a solo female traveler and used Airbnb twice in LA with no issues. The fault is with you not Airbnb.

Both places I stayed I would stay again as I had no issues with the system OR the places I stayed.

You need to be streetwise and research research research before booking an Airbnb

I will only
  1. choose an area I know and have stayed in before or have researched
  2. pick a Superhost with RECENT good reviews
  3. stay in a property where I have direct communication with the host BEFORE arrival
  4. stay in a property which is only used for Airbnb, not the hosts main residence
  5. stay in a property where I have the full property, not a shared or room only
Thanks for the advice but I would say none of those apply in this instance!
I have an area I stayed in before at LEAST 20 times!
The host did have good reviews !
I did have direct communication with the host and the property BEFORE as well as Vistana which is a a time share owned by MARRIOTT!
It was NOT the hosts main residence
IT WAS A MARRIOTT property and she was acting as a third party!!!!

This person was the problem and AIR B and B had information on her the MANY times we called and never chose to disclose that she had a huge amount of marks against her....none of which could be referred back to in REVIEWS so clearly recent reviews mean nothing.

I hope this helps YOU make a more informed decision next time.

Thanks for the advice but I would say none of those apply in this instance!
I have an area I stayed in before at LEAST 20 times!
The host did have good reviews !
I did have direct communication with the host and the property BEFORE as well as Vistana which is a a time share owned by MARRIOTT!
It was NOT the hosts main residence
IT WAS A MARRIOTT property and she was acting as a third party!!!!

This person was the problem and AIR B and B had information on her the MANY times we called and never chose to disclose that she had a huge amount of marks against her....none of which could be referred back to in REVIEWS so clearly recent reviews mean nothing.

I hope this helps YOU make a more informed decision next time.

You handled that MUCH better than I did in my own mind when I read the response! I'm sorry that happened.

We nearly got scammed after many successful trips using vrbo, airbnb, etc. Even taking all precautions these people still get through.

We also use skyauction.com , when our resort is not available I just pick a different one.
I have had good and bad stays with airb&b I'm not a big fan of non superhost

We also use skyauction.com , when our resort is not available I just pick a different one.
I have had good and bad stays with airb&b I'm not a big fan of non superhost
I had a similar incident with Skyauction a few years ago. They had some sort of mix up with sending down the reservation. They were great! They paid for the stay at full price no questions asked. I had no idea that they did this, and just thought that they had fixed it but Vistana billed us at full price. When we called Skyauction, they were not only apologetic but upset that Vistana had sent us the bill. I cannot say enough good about them.

I have never trusted any of these types of reservations. They just sound as if they are easy to scam someone. I also try to live by "if it sounds too good to be true...".

I have never trusted any of these types of reservations. They just sound as if they are easy to scam someone. I also try to live by "if it sounds too good to be true...".
Skyauction is great, you just have to read everything... sometimes your week is more.

This and many other reasons are why I refuse to use any sort of AirBNB or VRBO for a vacation. Forget it. I'd rather just deal with a hotel directly. I don't care if it costs me more money that way.
I agree… I appreciate the information the ordinal poster also mentioned that staying under a dollar amount provided scammer legal protection and no reviews can be posted if the guest doesn’t technically check in…more “protection“for scammer since you can’t check in if they don’t have any record of a reservation , cancelled after they got your money!

I am sorry this happened to you, but glad you were able to work it out and still enjoy your vacation. Hopefully you are able to get it fully resolved through Discover.
i am curious about this fee though. Having booked many successful stays through ABB and VRBO, I’ve always paid through them and nothing directly to the owner. I would definitely be suspicious if an owner told me I needed to pay them an additional fee directly and likely would cancel if they insisted. The one time we did have an issue (nothing like your situation; the apartment was disgusting so we got in and left almost immediately), ABB fully refunded us, although there was some unnecessary back and forth considering all the photos I provided prior to leaving. It’s horrible that you have to go through the hassle of a credit card dispute just to get your money back. I would think a company as large as ABB would refund you and then deal with the renter to get their money back, but I guess that’s just a pipe dream.

This and many other reasons are why I refuse to use any sort of AirBNB or VRBO for a vacation. Forget it. I'd rather just deal with a hotel directly. I don't care if it costs me more money that way.

Same. Whilst I appreciate incidents like this aren't that common, it's still a bit sketchy in my mind.

This sucks. There are a handful of bad actors on AirBnB. AirBnB should be doing a better job of monitoring for fraud.

One thing to note - is NEVER, EVER pay a "fee" for anything related to an AirBnB booking through any channel other than AirBnB. There is a way for a host to add an extra fee to a booking legitimately - it needs to be clearly noted that something costs extra in the information provided before booking - and they can send a request through AirBnB for the upcharge. For example, I've paid extra to add a grill to a reservation or pay for dock slip, but always been done through AirBnB. If there is a dispute AirBnB can't/won't assist in recovering funds not paid through their system.

Same. Whilst I appreciate incidents like this aren't that common, it's still a bit sketchy in my mind.
I totally agree with you but I let my better judgement slip away and coupled with the good Skyauction experiences I thought I was just being overly cautious....but I was not and will never rent from them again.

I'm so sorry you went through this. Hopefully Discover has your back.

My brother and sister in law swear by ABB and VRBO, but as others have said, there are just too many horror stories. I'll stick to hotels.

I looked at the number of views on this thread and it is 2K. It is my hope that I can prevent others from making the same mistake I made or at least grilling the ABB agent on the line before they book. I know 2k is a drop in the bucket but if it prevents just one person from ruining their long earned vacation then I am satisfied. Just a note Discover did have me and I got the fee back. They pretty much said it was a shoe in because we had all the correspondence and she did not have a leg to stand on. Unfortunately, I do not think they go after these people because the amount of 650 is a paltry sum in their world.

I looked at the number of views on this thread and it is 2K. It is my hope that I can prevent others from making the same mistake I made or at least grilling the ABB agent on the line before they book. I know 2k is a drop in the bucket but if it prevents just one person from ruining their long earned vacation then I am satisfied. Just a note Discover did have me and I got the fee back. They pretty much said it was a shoe in because we had all the correspondence and she did not have a leg to stand on. Unfortunately, I do not think they go after these people because the amount of 650 is a paltry sum in their world.
I'm glad you got your money back. Sad it was through Discover and not via AB&B.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter