After the cruise, can Disney take just our luggage to the parks?

cadien

DIS Veteran
We're spending 3 nights at WDW immediately after our next cruise. It seems pretty clear that we'll gain a lot of park time by using private transportation to the park, but what about our luggage? Can it still be sent on the bus and just be waiting for us in our resort room when we finally check in at 3:00 or whenever? Or do people taking the Disney transportation to the parks have to schlep their own bags off anyway?

We're spending 3 nights at WDW immediately after our next cruise. It seems pretty clear that we'll gain a lot of park time by using private transportation to the park, but what about our luggage? Can it still be sent on the bus and just be waiting for us in our resort room when we finally check in at 3:00 or whenever? Or do people taking the Disney transportation to the parks have to schlep their own bags off anyway?

If your WDW hotel stay begins on day of disembarkation, and you are taking DCL's transportation, as far as I know they should be able to take care of your luggage for you, no worries. Others here will be able to give you details. Pretty sure you have NO worry on that! :-)

Disney will not send your luggage to the resort without you. People taking transportation to the resort, pick up their luggage in the luggage hall and it goes with them on the bus they ride to the resort. If you do not want to use Disney transport, and book private transportation, you will still need to collect your own luggage and it will go with you in your car. It is possible for you to arrange transportation that would pick you up earlier than the Disney Buses. Upon arriving at your resort, you can drop your bags with Bell services, and head to the parks.

Upon arriving at your resort, you can drop your bags with Bell services, and head to the parks.

THIS!

Just a few days ago Mrs had a conference that began at 7am at Contemp'. Since it was 4 days I went with to do some solo park time. Obviously our Cont' room was not ready at this time. Bell services took the bag with no question once our room reservation was verified (MagicBand). I was in Epcot for rope drop. Later when I had 'straight to the room' checkin I just called the bell and the bag was brought to the room.

Disney transportation from the port to resorts is not free. Anyone riding those buses has paid for themselves and their luggage to ride. And everyone disembarking the ship must collect their own luggage to go through customs and immigration before leaving the building. The only exception is for those using on board flight check-in service; their luggage is taken directly from the ship to the airport/airplane for them.

when you go to the ship they take you luggage early that day, when you leave the ship, you roll it to the bus, there is not automatic drop off

This is not an attempt to get something free. We expected to pay for it.

It sounds like going from the ship to the parks is very different from going from the parks to the ship.

It sounds like going from the ship to the parks is very different from going from the parks to the ship.

I think the differences are mostly caused by the fact that all luggage and people must clear customs before they can be transported. And I never took it that you wanted free luggage transportation. :cutie:

Yes, it is quite different. People and luggage go on the same bus post-cruise to WDW resorts. Unlike pre-cruise where luggage is picked up and transported from WDW to port by a truck. The only "luggage service" available post-cruise is through the Onboard Airline Checkin program. Everyone else must have their luggage in-hand when going through Customs post-cruise.

Enjoy your cruise!

Yep.

With luggage it’s no different to take the dcl bus or rental car or limo or taxi. Bags travel with you and you stash them with bell services when you get to the resort.

I think the differences are mostly caused by the fact that all luggage and people must clear customs before they can be transported.

Sure, but if you are catching a flight that qualifies for onboard airline checkin your bags go through customs without you.

For the resort they could add a service where bags travel separately (even if it means handing them over after customs), but they haven’t. :)

From resort to ship, you already have a stateroom assigned to you, so they can deliver luggage directly to your stateroom. From ship to resort, a room is not assigned to you and your check in process is not complete until you check with the hotel front desk. Also there is only one destination from resort to ship. However, there can be many stops from ship to resort, Disney would not want to be responsible for lost baggage when the passengers are not riding with the luggage.

You should have no problem storing your baggage at Bell Services before your room is ready and head to the parks early to start your day.

Have fun planning!

Ship to resort transportation is very quick and efficient from my experience. We had first seating breakfast that morning, cleared customs, got on our DCL bus which left by 9am (I was always told it leaves when it is full so this time may vary). We were at French Quarter by 10:30 (we were the third resort drop off). We checked our bags at the front desk and were on our way to the parks by 11 easily!

From resort to ship, you already have a stateroom assigned to you, so they can deliver luggage directly to your stateroom. From ship to resort, a room is not assigned to you and your check in process is not complete until you check with the hotel front desk. Also there is only one destination from resort to ship. However, there can be many stops from ship to resort, Disney would not want to be responsible for lost baggage when the passengers are not riding with the luggage.

You should have no problem storing your baggage at Bell Services before your room is ready and head to the parks early to start your day.

Have fun planning!

Makes sense to me. And yes, Bell Services will always store your luggage no matter how early you check in for a reservation that same day. :cutie:

Ship to resort transportation is very quick and efficient from my experience. We had first seating breakfast that morning, cleared customs, got on our DCL bus which left by 9am (I was always told it leaves when it is full so this time may vary). We were at French Quarter by 10:30 (we were the third resort drop off). We checked our bags at the front desk and were on our way to the parks by 11 easily!

As I have never used DCL's transportation, even when we were flying in from out of state, it's good to hear a detailed recent description of your experience w/DCL's transpiration. :-)

MimiDee905, we've never headed back to a resort after a cruise but will be heading to Old Key West after our October cruise. Can you tell me if you did normal debarkation or did you do Express Walk Off (took your own luggage)?

There are only 3 of us; it seems private transportation is more expensive. And although car rental is cheaper, it doesn't seem time efficient to have to take a shuttle to rental agency and then drop off car at Disney Car Care Center and take a bus back to resort.

Thanks for your help.

MimiDee905, we've never headed back to a resort after a cruise but will be heading to Old Key West after our October cruise. Can you tell me if you did normal debarkation or did you do Express Walk Off (took your own luggage)?

There are only 3 of us; it seems private transportation is more expensive. And although car rental is cheaper, it doesn't seem time efficient to have to take a shuttle to rental agency and then drop off car at Disney Car Care Center and take a bus back to resort.

Thanks for your help.

I have sailed with DCL 7 times. In the past I had them take our luggage and picked it up in the terminal. But this is PITA for us because we still need stuff for getting ready in the morning. Last couple of times we just kept our bags and rolled them off of the ship with us. So you just head down to the terminal and get right in line for customs instead of looking for our bags first. Plus we have had issues in the past with them treating our luggage very poorly and breaking the handle of our bag, which is not easy to do. Disney will not do anything about it because it is an outside company that handles the bags. We also take Disney transportation to WDW after our cruises. You might have to wait a bit for the bus to fill up if you are one of the first on but it is nice not having to worry about driving and they get you to the resorts pretty early still. My best advice to you for a smooth debarkation is make sure you get everything you need done the day before. A lot of people are at guest services in the morning to settle their accounts, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter