After new AP price increases, the direct DVC AP discount just became nearly $450 (increase of $160)

stewart715

DIS Veteran
I know most of the motivation for the increases is Galaxy's Edge, but I can't help wonder if this is indirectly to push people more towards a direct DVC purchase:

New Purchase

DVC Gold Pass: $699 ($744.44 after tax)
Platinum Pass: $1,119 ($1,191.74 after tax)

Savings: $447.30 per AP

Renewal

DVC Gold Pass: $594 ($632.61 after tax)
Platinum Pass: $951 ($1,012.82 after tax)

Savings: $380.21 per AP

I don't think this has anything to do with pushing direct DVC sales. This is purely crowd control on their end. I don't even think it's profit motivated, although I'm sure thats a big part of it as the parks earn a healthy profit.

This is most likely their attempt to control crowds like they did for Disneyland. Increasing the AP price will push more people to regular tickets and their pricing scheme, which might help push some folks to travel during slower (ha!) times.

I doubt this had anything to do with DVC direct purchases, the amount of people that buy Gold AP's as a DVC member is probably tiny compared to the FL Resident Gold AP.

I think they are just trying to capatilize on the whole Star Wars craze right now while the movies are hot.

I'd guess the reason the increase for DVC/Florida members being less (in relative and absolute terms) was specifically considered; my guess is they wanted to keep Florida/DVC (loyal base) happy with the perception that their passes didn't rise as much. I would assume that this will definitely be highlighted in direct purchase sales pitches. But the spread is much larger (by about 50%) if you compare the Gold to Platinum as done by the OP (which is viable unless you travel Easter and Christmas) and does increase the value add of small direct add-ons for these benefits if the family size is right (number of passes bought). Each pass savings (needing only 75 points) is now ~$6 per point from the previous ~$4 a point.

Yikes - I was pricing it out for my family of 5. and i totally forgot about the added tax to the price. I don't think i will be shelling out almost $4K for passes.

We have been talking about hitting other attractions around the Orlando area, so this might be the push to do less park time at WDW and more other experiences (which are not as expensive). So I guess it is working to deter people from going and many will likely spend their money elsewhere

I know most of the motivation for the increases is Galaxy's Edge, but I can't help wonder if this is indirectly to push people more towards a direct DVC purchase:

New Purchase

Platinum Pass: $1,119 ($1,191.74 after tax)

Savings: $447.30 per AP

Renewal

DVC Gold Pass: $594 ($632.61 after tax)
Platinum Pass: $951 ($1,012.82 after tax)

Savings: $380.21 per AP

Interesting spin on what is clearly a significant price increase for dvc members. Wow , ours increased less, so happy we are paying less of an increase !! Lol

By stating direct DVC purchase, does this mean those who are buying resale now do not receive DVC AP discounts? I haven't kept up on the changes with direct vs. resale benefits. I bought my contracts many years ago and am not in the market for more.

By stating direct DVC purchase, does this mean those who are buying resale now do not receive DVC AP discounts? I haven't kept up on the changes with direct vs. resale benefits. I bought my contracts many years ago and am not in the market for more.
As long as you have a blue card, you'll never lose a blue card. But as of April 2016, for those who purchase their first DVC contract ever and do it so via resale, they do not get AP discounts or any other incidental benefits. To get those benefits, you need to own a minimum of 75 vacation points purchased directly from Disney Vacation Club.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter