after cataract surgery, did anyone go from being near sighted to far sighted and was it hard to adjust?

aa1

Earning My Ears
I am going from never wearing reading glasses and always wearing glasses for distance to the opposite. Near things are now blurred but I can drive etc without glasses. I found it is confusing to say the least. How was it for you?
Thank you

I am going from never wearing reading glasses and always wearing glasses for distance to the opposite. Near things are now blurred but I can drive etc without glasses. I found it is confusing to say the least. How was it for you?
Thank you

This was exactly my experience, (surgery both eyes - one week apart) except I have had no problems adjusting. I found out real quick - I 'will not' just use reading glasses - too much of a pain having them at hand at all times. I still wear progressive lenses, but really the correction is just for close up. When driving I can use regular eye glass shades - especially long distances - or wear my glasses with clip on shades. Works for me!

Most people have to return to Dr. in a few months to have a laser treatment for a film over eyes - I was no exception - just went yesterday for one eye, and will do the other eye in a month. Nothing special, no pain, and drove about my business right after. @apartment j, I, too, had floaters, halos, streaks around lights, and that is what the second correction is far and has already after two days eliminated that issue!!

Not sure how long ago your surgery was, but as for me, after all the drops were finished everything is fine. Was fitted for new glasses and I am happy! Good luck!

Last edited:
Most people have to return to Dr. in a few months to have a laser treatment for a film over eyes - I was no exception - just went yesterday for one eye, and will do the other eye in a month. Nothing special, no pain, and drove about my business right after. @apartment j, I, too, had floaters, halos, streaks around lights, and that is what the second correction is far and has already after two days eliminated that issue!!

Last edited:

Thank you

Oh sweet Mother of Pearl, making that transition was SO difficult for me. I actually fell into a bit of a depression afterwards and ended up having to have a few sessions of occupational therapy to develop some coping strategies. It was 4 years ago and I guess I’m now fully adapted but I still really, really miss my acute near-vision.

Last edited:
Like a previous poster, after having laser cataract surgery on both eyes (two weeks apart), I have chosen to wear glasses (progressives). While my distance vision is nearly perfect, I cannot read anything up close. Since I have worn glasses since I was seven years old, wearing them is second nature to me. I prefer them, honestly. Always reaching for readers got old fast!

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Edited to add - I was not a candidate for “mono-vision” (one eye corrected for distance and the other corrected for reading). I have a Toric lens in my left eye to correct a significant astigmatism.

Last edited:
Like a previous poster, after having laser cataract surgery on both eyes (two weeks apart), I have chosen to wear glasses (progressives). While my distance vision is nearly perfect, I cannot read anything up close. Since I have worn glasses since I was seven years old, wearing them is second nature to me. I prefer them, honestly. Always reaching for readers got old fast!

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Agree 100% - my experience nearly exactly - wore glasses from early 20's on.

Lenses implanted during cataract surgery typically either correct for distance or near. AFAIK bifocal or progressive implanted lenses are either rarely done or not done at all.

You can sort of blame your doctor. Your doctor could have reversed it so you would still need glasses for distance but not for reading. Some doctors, some patients, do something called mono vision. One eye is corrected for distance and the other for near. Your brain kind of combines the two.

I had cataract surgery on both eyes about two months ago. They used a toric lens for distance in my left eye and a toric lens for near vision in my right eye. At first, I found it difficult. My eyes weren't playing well together. It is getting better slowly. I can see distance and can now read small print. My biggest problem is night driving. I get a lot of halo effect. I see the doctor tomorrow for my two month checkup. I hope thing improve more over time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter