Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't the coaster in DCA do that, stop on the water?
Not exactly. The initial launch is on the water so you depart the station then come to a stop on the launch mechanism and wait for the train ahead to clear the next safety zone before it launches. The second lift hill is on some type of hydrologic system so you come to a slight stop once the train gets half way up the hill for the system to kick in a take the train up the rest of the way.

Are there any coasters that do that? (completely stop midway)

Time Traveler at Silver Dollar City stops midway for a launch.

They were testing SDD without ride weight and it was barely making it up. The launch is going to have to be faster than that or there is going to be a rollback problem.

Time Traveler at Silver Dollar City stops midway for a launch.

They were testing SDD without ride weight and it was barely making it up. The launch is going to have to be faster than that or there is going to be a rollback problem.

Ill have to check that one out.

That's what I was thinking too which is why I figured that it wouldn't stop on that second launch. I guess they could have just been testing it out on the lowest setting? (shrug)

Ill have to check that one out.

That's what I was thinking too which is why I figured that it wouldn't stop on that second launch. I guess they could have just been testing it out on the lowest setting? (shrug)

I think technically, if the launch is speed based (where it launches at the same fps regardless of weight) then a weighted car will carry a higher speed through the incline..... since the inertia will be greater due to greater mass... I think....

My first thoughts on looking at these pictures is everyone who was worried about TSL opening on time probably has nothing to worry about. I don't think there will be much in the way of previews, but I also don't think there will be much need for previews. SDD is a fairly standard coaster mechanism. Sure the double launch is cool, but not exactly revolutionary and can be dialed in with weight dummies. AS2 isn't a new ride system, no need to figure out how people are going to react to it or sit on it like FOP. TSMM is getting a new entrance, not exactly a big "test" issue. So that just leaves the restaurant. Disney opens QS restaurants all the time, it hardly requires 2 or 3 weeks of previews.

Looking at these pics and the progress, the land will open just as expected, maybe a week or 10 days tops of media and special previews, if that. It's just not needed. Now whether Disney wants to make AP and DVC types feel special with previews is a different question, but I just don't think they'll need to do it to make sure the land and attractions work as expected.

My first thoughts on looking at these pictures is everyone who was worried about TSL opening on time probably has nothing to worry about. I don't think there will be much in the way of previews, but I also don't think there will be much need for previews. SDD is a fairly standard coaster mechanism. Sure the double launch is cool, but not exactly revolutionary and can be dialed in with weight dummies. AS2 isn't a new ride system, no need to figure out how people are going to react to it or sit on it like FOP. TSMM is getting a new entrance, not exactly a big "test" issue. So that just leaves the restaurant. Disney opens QS restaurants all the time, it hardly requires 2 or 3 weeks of previews.

Looking at these pics and the progress, the land will open just as expected, maybe a week or 10 days tops of media and special previews, if that. It's just not needed. Now whether Disney wants to make AP and DVC types feel special with previews is a different question, but I just don't think they'll need to do it to make sure the land and attractions work as expected.
They still need to test with people and as far as I’m aware no actual people have been on SDD yet. This land was originally supposed to open at the end of May but it’s a month behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter