Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we can complain about the last 15 years until we're blue in the face. But the sheer number of shovels and amount of dirt being moved at WDW right now is impressive. At this point, I just wonder will they sustain at least part of this pace once the 50th comes and goes. Because despite all these shovels, they still won't be able to just quit when this spurt is over. Take an 18 month break during the 50th? Sure. Totally reasonable. But the plans will need to continue on.

I know we can complain about the last 15 years until we're blue in the face. But the sheer number of shovels and amount of dirt being moved at WDW right now is impressive. At this point, I just wonder will they sustain at least part of this pace once the 50th comes and goes. Because despite all these shovels, they still won't be able to just quit when this spurt is over. Take an 18 month break during the 50th? Sure. Totally reasonable. But the plans will need to continue on.
Especially at the studios

Agreed. Even after Galaxies Edge opens, there is still a lot of worked needed at the studios

Also agree. Having spent time on the wdwmagic forums there are a few proven insiders there that indicate that nothing in the near future is being done after Toy Story Land and SW:GE are finished. Now that might be true, especially seeing all of the work that is coming to Epcot over the next several years. However, I fully expect more to come later in the next decade. The park would seem strange to me if left as is. Hollywood (with the new Mickey ride) and Sunset Boulevards, as well as Echo Lake look so nice right now. Add to that TSL and SW:GE and Grand Ave with the Muppets, and the other section with Indy and ST now seems older and out of place to me. At some point, especially if UNI announces another theme park, it wouldn’t surprise me if more is eventually done on the Indy side of the park. Oh, and there is that little Star Wars 360 resort that also has to be made...

Also agree. Having spent time on the wdwmagic forums there are a few proven insiders there that indicate that nothing in the near future is being done after Toy Story Land and SW:GE are finished. Now that might be true, especially seeing all of the work that is coming to Epcot over the next several years. However, I fully expect more to come later in the next decade. The park would seem strange to me if left as is. Hollywood (with the new Mickey ride) and Sunset Boulevards, as well as Echo Lake look so nice right now. Add to that TSL and SW:GE and Grand Ave with the Muppets, and the other section with Indy and ST now seems older and out of place to me. At some point, especially if UNI announces another theme park, it wouldn’t surprise me if more is eventually done on the Indy side of the park. Oh, and there is that little Star Wars 360 resort that also has to be made...

From what I have seen, it seamed like there was some thought of a phase III with it potentially being a Monsters Inc land but for now they will sort of let things simmer and see what is needed rather than rushing to keep going. So you would have the two new lands and then the new Mickey ride and then some things would get rethemed either right away (Launch Bay) or within a year or two of SWGE completed (Star Tours) plus possibly changing out the Little Mermaid and BatB shows ... and then take a breath and see what is still needed

I also think after the 50th and the updates to EPCOT that are planned are done they are going to go back to Animal Kingdom and do another update there (perhaps adding the 3rd attraction to Pandora and/or redoing/retheming DinoLand) and the next "big" thing

It would seem to make sense to give each park their do attention, then circle back and Plus size the new attraction areas. That would allow them to fix deficiencies found after opening and operating a while. Of course that is in theory.
I think the pattern will be, invest the money in attractions and new experiences, milk the profits until stale, the invest again to reinvigorate. I don't think we'll see them continue at this rate for more than a couple of years. The hope is that they will at least be more aggressive on average than the last 10 years.

It would seem to make sense to give each park their do attention, then circle back and Plus size the new attraction areas. That would allow them to fix deficiencies found after opening and operating a while. Of course that is in theory.
I think the pattern will be, invest the money in attractions and new experiences, milk the profits until stale, the invest again to reinvigorate. I don't think we'll see them continue at this rate for more than a couple of years. The hope is that they will at least be more aggressive on average than the last 10 years.

I think that should be the hope, and I am optimistic they will. I think now they are making up for being behind a bit in updating areas and trying to be ready for the 50th so definitely more going on now than will be typical, but I do hope they keep looking at where things could be updated and are constantly doing some updates. I could see taking a bit of a breather right after the 50th but hopefully that is short and they get back to having some updates

Another thing to keep in mind is that Universal just bought/added to that large parcel of land down the street. Not only are they not sitting idle, they are almost certainly eyeing a third gate, with the intention of coming for Disney's bread and butter: the weeklong guest. I don't anticipate the current business model lasting long if a significant portion of their guest base jump ship to Universal and only spend a day or two at WDW instead of the full week.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Universal just bought/added to that large parcel of land down the street. Not only are they not sitting idle, they are almost certainly eyeing a third gate, with the intention of coming for Disney's bread and butter: the weeklong guest. I don't anticipate the current business model lasting long if a significant portion of their guest base jump ship to Universal and only spend a day or two at WDW instead of the full week.

Also the new hotels they are building on the old Wet N Wild site that have a very low price point attached to them - so now you have enough parks to take up the bulk of a week and a cheaper option as far as were to stay (and in brand new accommodations to boot)

So does Disney counter this? Do even more with the good neighbor hotels? Say screw it and just go more and more after the high-end consumer and not bother with "values" any more (which at the price point they are heading to aren't really values)?

The next step is a price war. Disney has the capacity, but not the desire to drop the hotel rates. If Universal undercuts them on the hotel rates to pull business, disney can drop the rates at the values with little real consequence to the bottom line. They have enough beds to pull that power move and make life uncomfortable for universal. They'd really only have to do one property on constant rotation to keep it in the public eye.

While the new lands and probable updates to fantasmic and BATB show are great, the over all look of the park is going to look so odd. There won't be much a flow in the theming.

I actually like the look of Grand Avenue area and is a nice medium before going through into these huge immersive lands of Star Wars and toy story so I wish they would continue that throughout the rest of the park.

That Indy echoare area and star tours is the only HUGE area that needs to be redone. Animators courtyard can easily be updated and me personally I'd like either a mixed Pixar presence there or a classic Disney area about animation.

Sunset boulevard is a bit tricky as it's all about ToT. Maybe make that area a Villians type land with the updated fantasmic and maybe shoehorn a new dark ride or two in there. Be great themeing for Halloween and make HS a destination for then and not just Magic Kingdom

From what I have seen, it seamed like there was some thought of a phase III with it potentially being a Monsters Inc land but for now they will sort of let things simmer and see what is needed rather than rushing to keep going. So you would have the two new lands and then the new Mickey ride and then some things would get rethemed either right away (Launch Bay) or within a year or two of SWGE completed (Star Tours) plus possibly changing out the Little Mermaid and BatB shows ... and then take a breath and see what is still needed

I also think after the 50th and the updates to EPCOT that are planned are done they are going to go back to Animal Kingdom and do another update there (perhaps adding the 3rd attraction to Pandora and/or redoing/retheming DinoLand) and the next "big" thing

Really hope you are right about this. Adding more to Pandora in the future would be great. But yes, for now, there is this big buildup resort wide for the 50th.

I expect a bit of a break after the 50th. But for now, I don’t see UNI slowing down anytime soon. Also, I think Disney wants to see what type of an impact SW:GE has upon DHS and the resort as a whole. This type of IP should mirror what it was like when WWoHP opened. It could impact crowd flow and dispersion resort-wide. It also makes me wonder if further expansion or refurbishment in DHS could end up being more Star Wars if SW:GE is constantly mobbed with no letdown in lines/crowds.

Really hope you are right about this. Adding more to Pandora in the future would be great. But yes, for now, there is this big buildup resort wide for the 50th.

I expect a bit of a break after the 50th. But for now, I don’t see UNI slowing down anytime soon. Also, I think Disney wants to see what type of an impact SW:GE has upon DHS and the resort as a whole. This type of IP should mirror what it was like when WWoHP opened. It could impact crowd flow and dispersion resort-wide. It also makes me wonder if further expansion or refurbishment in DHS could end up being more Star Wars if SW:GE is constantly mobbed with no letdown in lines/crowds.
There is an expansion plan for Pandora. Whether it ever happens or not is the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!