Advice on DL crowds first week of june

we"reofftoneverland

DIS Veteran
We are looking at this week for june. Anyone have any insight on crowds this first week? It looks like it is not in the southern california annual pass blockout dates. I am a bit worried about that.

We went June 1st and 2nd this year. It was crowded, Friday was a Grad nite as well. But I just planned for the crowds and we had a great time. It also felt less crowded then when were there mid March. I would do those June dates again over spring break. I had been worried since it was a Grad nite but hardly noticed any difference between that night and the other one we were there, but others have so that would be something to keep in mind.

Also we just did a trip in september during a lower crowd week and I really don't feel it was significantly different. If anything I preferred our June trip because the park hours were longer and I felt we got more done as a result.

Also we just did a trip in september during a lower crowd week and I really don't feel it was significantly different. If anything I preferred our June trip because the park hours were longer and I felt we got more done as a result.
Thanks for the feedback. You are definitely making me feel better! We have been before in late June and crowds were managable, but then we found out about the block out dates and realized early June may be worse than late June. But it sounds like it will be fine.

We are considering that week as well. We've never been in June so it will be a new experience for us. We are holding reservations for the 1st week of June and also the 3rd (week of the 17th) and are trying to decide which one would be better. I'm not sure that htere are any drastic differences but the 1st week makes me a little more nervous because 3 of the days we would be going are grad nights. It seems to be a mixed bag on opinions about grad nights. Some people have said it wasnt a big deal at all and others have said that its crazy and the place is overrun with rude and obnoxious teenagers. :scared:
I'm sure though that there are some strategies to avoid the chaos if indeed those particular days are crazy.

We are considering that week as well. We've never been in June so it will be a new experience for us. We are holding reservations for the 1st week of June and also the 3rd (week of the 17th) and are trying to decide which one would be better. I'm not sure that htere are any drastic differences but the 1st week makes me a little more nervous because 3 of the days we would be going are grad nights. It seems to be a mixed bag on opinions about grad nights. Some people have said it wasnt a big deal at all and others have said that its crazy and the place is overrun with rude and obnoxious teenagers. :scared:
I'm sure though that there are some strategies to avoid the chaos if indeed those particular days are crazy.
I've actually heard the third week is a good one to go, due to (random?) blockouts of socal passes most of that week. So I would probably choose that week if that is the case. Maybe someone else can confirm those blackouts aren't due to any sort of event? I'm not 100%

I worried about crowds during our June trip, but just made sure to get there before rope drop, utilize FP, and hop between parks if one got too crowded. We had a great time.

We went 3-4 week of June a few years ago and we were happy with it. We did 5 days at DL and we felt like there were only a few times (like a couple of hours each time) it felt "too" crowded. We stayed at the hyatt regency which ended up a bit farther from the park than was ideal, so this time we are trying to do closer. We would love to do Disneyland Hotel but we have three kids and so I think we would have to do 2 rooms there-- so not good. We drove and it was 2 days each way driving, so we might fly. Since it is not close for us, I just want to be sure it is at least not beyond crowded. We can deal with crowds, after all it's Disneyland, but just want to be sure it isn't a "bad" week.

Last edited:

We have been to DL in early June about 3 times now, the most recent June visit being earlier this year. On each of those 3 trips, we went when there were absolutely no So Cal AP black out dates at all. AND there were Grad Nights on those trips, too.

Here's what I've observed on those trips:
  • the weather is really great. Overcast in the morning, sunny in the afternoon. Pleasantly warm, but not sweaty warm. Cool in the evening once the sun went down.
  • we'd start at the parks each day at park opening. sometimes made rope drop, sometimes got there 20-30 min later. Crowds were FABULOUSLY low for the first 2-2.5 hours.
  • By 1pm, we noticed that things seemed a little crowded, so we'd leave for a break & would return late afternoon.
  • About 5pm, crowds seemed larger than at 1pm because all of the local So Cal residents had left work to go to DL, have dinner, go on a couple of rides, go home.
  • Right after fireworks, DL cleared out. In fact, crowds started to lighten up even before fireworks...at 9pm.
  • We made sure that we hit up the E ticket rides in the morning - stuff like RSR, BTMRR, Star Tours, Space Mountain, etc.
  • On Grad Nights, we'd stay out of Tomorrowland after 4 pm. A lot of the grads seemed to hang out & walk around a lot in Tomorrowland and it would be wall to wall people there. Everywhere else in the park? Busy, but manageable.
  • Don't do what we did this June - park hop over to DCA 30 min before DCA closed to regular park guests...because my kids wanted to go on GRR. At that point (9:30 pm), practically ALL of the grads were in DCA and they really were walking around in packs, yelling, cheering, we got slammed into a couple of times just walking from the DCA entrance to GRR (which isn't that far). Next time, I'd be sure to be totally done with DCA by 8:30 pm on a Grad Night and just, frankly, NOT go into DCA at all in the evening.
I would totally go to DL again at that time of year. We've really really enjoyed it.

We have been to DL in early June about 3 times now, the most recent June visit being earlier this year. On each of those 3 trips, we went when there were absolutely no So Cal AP black out dates at all. AND there were Grad Nights on those trips, too.

• the weather is really great. Overcast in the morning, sunny in the afternoon. Pleasantly warm, but not sweaty warm. Cool in the evening once the sun went down.
  • we'd start at the parks each day at park opening. sometimes made rope drop, sometimes got there 20-30 min later. Crowds were FABULOUSLY low for the first 2-2.5 hours.
  • By 1pm, we noticed that things seemed a little crowded, so we'd leave for a break & would return late afternoon.
  • About 5pm, crowds seemed larger than at 1pm because all of the local So Cal residents had left work to go to DL, have dinner, go on a couple of rides, go home.
  • Right after fireworks, DL cleared out. In fact, crowds started to lighten up even before fireworks...at 9pm.
  • We made sure that we hit up the E ticket rides in the morning - stuff like RSR, BTMRR, Star Tours, Space Mountain, etc.
  • On Grad Nights, we'd stay out of Tomorrowland after 4 pm. A lot of the grads seemed to hang out & walk around a lot in Tomorrowland and it would be wall to wall people there. Everywhere else in the park? Busy, but manageable.
  • Don't do what we did this June - park hop over to DCA 30 min before DCA closed to regular park guests...because my kids wanted to go on GRR. At that point (9:30 pm), practically ALL of the grads were in DCA and they really were walking around in packs, yelling, cheering, we got slammed into a couple of times just walking from the DCA entrance to GRR (which isn't that far). Next time, I'd be sure to be totally done with DCA by 8:30 pm on a Grad Night and just, frankly, NOT go into DCA at all in the evening.
I would totally go to DL again at that time of year. We've really really enjoyed it.

Thank you so much for these details. The year we went in late June we found the weather to be exactly as you describe it, overcast then sunny. Coming from extreme heat and humidity in the summer we thought we'd found paradise. Lol. It sounds like late June may be the best time to go, but I we will probably end up doing the first week. It sounds like the crowds are tolerable.

Thanks for the great info. We are thinking about taking our Grandson next year in June. It will be his first time at DL & DCA. One question if you don't mind me asking. Where have you stayed on your DL trips. Thanks again Ron.

Thanks for the great info. We are thinking about taking our Grandson next year in June. It will be his first time at DL & DCA. One question if you don't mind me asking. Where have you stayed on your DL trips. Thanks again Ron.

We've stayed at:
  • DLH - everything about this was awesome.
  • BW Stovall's on Katella Ave - a smidge more expensive than BW Pavilions. Nice pool. Rooms SUPER clean. They charge for parking. Free hot breakfast, this saved us a lot of $$. Walk was kind of long. Since you can no longer cut through the GCH, because of the walk alone, I wouldn't stay here again because we take breaks in the afternoon and I need a hotel that's not a mile walk to the Esplanade.
  • BW Pavilions on Katella Ave - cheapest of all 4, longest walk. Nice pool. Rooms SUPER clean. Marri's Pizza right next door, this was VERY convenient! Free parking.
  • Hojos - free parking. Room was spotless. We enjoyed both pools. Great customer service. No free breakfast. More expensive than BW Stovall's, but cheaper than the new Marriott Courtyard Theme Park Entrance that's right next door. You can keep your car in their lot until 3 pm on check out day. We would stay here again. Walk took ~ 7 min in morning, closer to 15 min at end of the day because we were so tired! Haha

We were there in June this year and it was fine. We've been most times of the year, and honestly unless you hit a rainy day there doesn't seem to be a low time much anymore. We did have to do some fastpass prioritizing to be sure we got what we wanted, but it was very do-able. We were there right after GoG opened so one of us took all the tickets and started with that FP line -- long but moved fast. Also our weather was beautiful that time of year and things were open late (except on Grad Nite, which wasn't really a hassle for us either). If it works to go then, go for it.

We have been that week multiple times. In our experience that week the weekends are great as So Cal is blocked, but because it is the last few weekdays before SoCal select is blocked for the summer the weekdays can be very crowded (significantly more crowded than the weekdays we have been in the middle of July). Even so, it is still manageable. The first couple of hours in the morning are still low crowds and you can get a lot done. Also, if you can put some of your park days on the weekend when the passes are blocked, that will help.

We went 3-4 week of June a few years ago and we were happy with it. We did 5 days at DL and we felt like there were only a few times (like a couple of hours each time) it felt "too" crowded. We stayed at the hyatt regency which ended up a bit farther from the park than was ideal, so this time we are trying to do closer. We would love to do Disneyland Hotel but we have three kids and so I think we would have to do 2 rooms there-- so not good. We drove and it was 2 days each way driving, so we might fly. Since it is not close for us, I just want to be sure it is at least not beyond crowded. We can deal with crowds, after all it's Disneyland, but just want to be sure it isn't a "bad" week.

No, the rooms at the Disneyland Hotel can fit 5. Definitely stay within short walking distance (S. Harbor between Hojo's and Candy Cane Inn.) Check out the links from pp about hotels (and @HydroGuy's guide in the stickys above.
2 days driving??? yeah, check out flights (to SNA or LGB) (lots of sales on Southwest and Jet Blue)

I went first week this year and was great. My kids are in year round schedule and that is part of one of their spring breaks so worked out perfect. Rode every ride we wanted to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter