Advice on Christmas time trip

Mouskemom

Mouseketeer
Here's my situation:

We were in WDW in May with DS4 & DS2 and stayed at the BC. Loved it so much that I thought it would be great to return to WDW some day during Christmas time - early December, not the actual holiday. Just the other day I realized that this would be the last Christmas season before DS4 would start Kindergarten. So I called just to see if there just so happened to be any good deals for the Wilderness Lodge. Turns out we got a courtyard view room from Dec 9 - 15 with the Dining Plan and park hoppers for $2680. I was so happy that I booked it on the spot.

I now have till Oct 25 to change my mind without paying penalties. Here's my dilemma. Should I take advantage of this deal and go now even though we were just there and my youngest DS is only 2 OR should we wait until Dec 08 or 09 and take our oldest out of school for a week (he would be in Kindergarten or 1st grade)and have the youngest be 3 or 4 years old?

So basically - go now when the kids are 4 and 2 or wait a year or two until they're older but we have to take one out of school?

Any insight is greatly appreciated. I've read about the Christmas activities but have never experienced them so I would love to hear how appropriate they would be for a 2 and 4 year old.

Thanks!

I would go now and just keep park time to a minimum until the kids get older...we go every other year at christmas time and take the kids out of school 2 1/2 days..to us it's worth it for lower crowd levels. You could always go this year and next!!

The first yr we went at christmas- my children were ages 5, 6, 8 and 10...we mainly went to magic kingdom, did mvmcp and candlelight processional. the christmas party is fun (but cold that yr) and would do it again in a minute....

Have fun planning!

I vote for BOTH!::yes::
That's exactly what I was thinking. Definitely go now - that sounds like a great deal. December is my favorite time of year to go. So what if you just went in May. We went in April and we're going again in October! You and the kids will LOVE all the Christmas decorations and music and characters in their Christmas outfits - it's great! Make sure you see the Osbourne lights - I think this will be a highlight for your kids! Oh, and the gingerbread house at the GF and chocolate carousel at the BC. You will have a wonderful time!

If you have the trip planned already I would say keep it... I think both children are old enough to enjoy christmas time especially at WDW... If you are unsure and really feel iffy about it then cancel it. I am sure this wouldnt be your last christmas visit. You can experience it this year and make a ton of magical memories that you know you will be going back in the near future...

I would keep the reservation and go and have a wonderful time. Our youngest ds loved WDW at 2 and 3 and asks often when can we go again. Next June is too far away for him to comprehend! (me too)

It's a wonderful, beautiful time of the year before the crowds are so bad. We went the week of Christmas, it was quite beautiful but I would love to go again earlier in December.

You will have a fabulous, magical trip.

Just had to post, Mousekemom, as your trip is almost parallel to mine. My DS (18) and I wanted to see WDW at Christmastime, too. We're also WL Courtyard View arriving on 12/9 and leaving on 12/14!
I hope you had better luck with your ADR's than I did. I couldn't get WC on day of arrival (only time available was 8:50 and that's too late for us), tried to get Can Proc at Epcot one 2 different days with no luck, could only get Plaza Rest at MK for MVMCP day and no Fantasmic Dinner pkg this year either. <sigh>

Here's my situation:

We were in WDW in May with DS4 & DS2 and stayed at the BC. Loved it so much that I thought it would be great to return to WDW some day during Christmas time - early December, not the actual holiday. Just the other day I realized that this would be the last Christmas season before DS4 would start Kindergarten. So I called just to see if there just so happened to be any good deals for the Wilderness Lodge. Turns out we got a courtyard view room from Dec 9 - 15 with the Dining Plan and park hoppers for $2680. I was so happy that I booked it on the spot.

I now have till Oct 25 to change my mind without paying penalties. Here's my dilemma. Should I take advantage of this deal and go now even though we were just there and my youngest DS is only 2 OR should we wait until Dec 08 or 09 and take our oldest out of school for a week (he would be in Kindergarten or 1st grade)and have the youngest be 3 or 4 years old?

So basically - go now when the kids are 4 and 2 or wait a year or two until they're older but we have to take one out of school?

Any insight is greatly appreciated. I've read about the Christmas activities but have never experienced them so I would love to hear how appropriate they would be for a 2 and 4 year old.

Thanks!

Hi:

I would also go... Price is very good... we will be there from the 1st to the 8th and could not get the discount but we are happy to be there. You never know the the future will bring so go for it... You never know you may start a new family tradition.

Have a Great Trip,

Mark

Thank you all for your input. I think I'm leaning towards just going for it now. If my 2 year old doesn't remember, then at least I will! I also don't think I would feel comfortable taking the kids out of school in the future for a Disney trip.

PDCHRIS -- I am a little concerned to hear that you're having trouble getting ADRs. I had such an easy time of it when we were there in may. I better start making some calls.

Go. You can never have too many visits to WDW. We are going to be at POR Dec. 9-14 and I made all my ADRs 180 days out and I still couldn't get into Chef Mickey for dinner! Then I had to change all of them when my DD24 decided to go with us. I lost the Le Cellier Dinner package for the Candlelight Processional and now have to eat at 2 PM and go to the 5 PM show. :confused3 Oh well, this is the first time she has been able to go with us. I was able to get Chef Mickey for breakfast the last day. The rest of the ADRs only changed slightly when we went from 2 to 3 adults. :dance3: This is our first Christmastime visit too.:santa:

I have only been at Christmas time once and will likely NEVER talk my DH into it again. He only let us go in 2005 because our house was gutted due to Katrina, so no tree, no decorations = DEPRESSION.

As crummy as my frame of mind was that whole year, I still had one of the best Christmases ever! There is just something so magical about being in the World during this holiday.

Please go and enjoy your boys - before you know it the memories will be a different kind of magical - there is nothing like it when they are those ages!

3for me -- You made me tear up just thinking about my little guys at Disney during xmas time. They're still young enough to believe in Santa and Mickey for that matter. When we were there for Ds's 4th b-day the BC staff left balloons and a card wtih a signed photo. He actually thought that Mickey had slipped in while we were at dinner and left it there personally! gotta love that.

on a side note -- so sorry to hear about your home but glad you were able to find some joy that year.

I agree. Definitely go now! You will have a great time even with your child being 2yo. And believe me, if you wait and go during the holidays when kids are out of school, you will pay MUCH more money for it, and the parks would be insanely crowded. So definitely go this year! The fact that you were just able to grab the WL at this late date is great, and should not be given up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!