Advice Needed for one park day

Gussie Granger 1969

Mouseketeer
Asking for my sister.
This is what they want to do:
Park hop Hollywood Studios & Animal Kingdom. Must do all the Star Wars rides and Avatar Flight of Passage. Those are their priorities. They will not be on property. Just in town for one day and want to achieve this.

1. Doable?
2. Which park should they start with?
3. How do they get on each ride with minimum wait?

I haven't been to Disney is a while, I'm so out of the loop of the procedure of park touring and I know things change all the time. Thank you!

I mean maybe. All of these rides can and do go down. Maybe hours, maybe all day. Get up and pay the money to ride ROTR and FOP. Hope the schedule works.

I would absolutely prioritize the Star Wars rides, they are just so much cooler than FOP. I'd rope drop ROTR, even though it is finicky. Millennium Falcon has a single rider lane. It kind of defeats the point, but it is an option if time is tight. I'd plan to eat all Star Wars. The restaurants are so cool, and hopefully get an Oga's reservation, that's a quick thing and such a cool experience.

This is when a car might really be helpful. The buses between parks are frustrating, especially when you are this tight on time.

You need to be watching waits the day before. If these rides are going down, the whole plan might fail.

If I have to cut something, it's absolutely FOP.

Last edited:
I hesitate to offer advice because I'm not as current as many on getting Rise of the Resistance boarding pass.

Purchasing individual lightening lane passes will minimize wait the most.

need to buy genie + on the day of visit, then buy ILL passes for ROTR in HS and FOP in AK.

how they move through their day depends on when/if they can get ILL passes - start in the park where you get the 1st pass - hop to the other.

if they can't get ILL passes, Rope drop won't help them because they are off property so they will be 30 min's behind everyone on property.

in that case, i'd hit HS 1st and try to get a boarding party for ROTR, do Galaxy's edge, then hop to AK and finish the day getting in line at FOP right before park close.

i'm curious to see other advice on this.

depending on when they are going trying to buy FOP and Rise while off property can be a hard sell. They would have to wait until the park opens to buy them.

If it were me, I would buy Genie+ so they could get on MF and Star Tours with minimal wait. I would do standby for Rise at rope drop, hopefully with Genie+ I would have grabbed a very early time for MF. I'd grab a Star Tours, once I clicked in twice for MF.

I would wait until park closing for FOP.

try to get a boarding party for ROTR
They don't do boarding groups/virtual queue for ROTR anymore. It's either ILL or stand-by.

OP, getting ILL for ROTR and FOP is going to be tough, since on-site has access to those earlier than offsite. I know that ROTR ILL is usually gone in just a few minutes at 7 AM leaving nothing for offsite at park open. I imagine FOP is the same situation.

Honestly, I would say start at AK and just deal with the wait for FOP, whatever it may be. Hop as soon as allowed to HS. Smuggler's Run mid afternoon shouldn't be too bad. And then wait until near the very end of the evening to get in the queue for ROTR. And cross your fingers, say a prayer, etc. that ROTR is not having a bad day and isn't broken down.

And for clarification, you do not have to purchase Genie+ to go after the paid ILL attractions. Those are separate.

Here's how I would play it.
(1) I would buy G+ and at 7 am make an afternoon G+ for MFSR, assuming this is one of the must-dos.
(2) I would go to DAK first, since DHS is probably open later, although we don't know what day this is for.
(3) When DAK opens, I would try to get an ILL for FoP as soon as they're available for off-site guests.
(4) Now we could run into some thorny situations, because maybe ILL for FoP is at this point available only for later in the day when I would want to be at DHS. So if FoP was all I really wanted to do at DAK, I would go stand in line--a very very very long line at that point. But it's my must-do, so I do it.
(5) While waiting, maybe 2 hours after the park opens have elapsed. At that point, I'd try for another G+. I'm rooting for KS, but maybe your person wants to do more at DHS, so try for MMRR first.
(6) Maybe it's 10:30 am by the time I get off FoP. I check out the line for NRJ and if it's not too bad, I do that. Next up, KS, also probably a long wait at this point, but since I can't hop until 2, I might as well do it.
(7) Lunch somewhere in DAK. Perhaps at this point I can stack something else at DHS, whatever it is I want to do. And while I'm at it, I'm going to keep checking for ILL for RotR. In fact, I'd be checking for this off and on all day.
(8) Hop to DHS. If I wasn't able to score an ILL for RotR (kinda likely) then I'm going to plan on going there toward the end of the park day.

If at all possible, if this were me, I would be paying to stay onsite. For this one-day thing, it'd be completely worth it.

I'd start at HS, because you can't hop until 2. Being stuck at AK for one ride until 2 is ugh.

The ideal plan would be to do what you can at HS, drive to AK, hop on FOP and go back to HS to try to ride the Star Wars rides near close.

This is why I miss FP+. Being able to plan your day out in advance takes so much stress away! I just don't like "If you can get this at 7:00 a.m., then go here, but if you can't, then go there." And then how in the world do you know what park reservations to get in advance? Oh, and don't get me starting about this "can't hop until 2:00 p.m." craziness! Sorry for the vent.

Anyway, since they can't hop until 2:00, I would probably start in DHS since there are more rides there they want to do. If we could have the FREEDOM to park hop anytime like we did in the past, then I would say start at AK, do FoP, and then hop over to DHS for the rest of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter