Advice for Someone w/ Dining Plan

DisneyBound2007

Mouseketeer
I have now begun the task of getting quotes now that the 2007 package rates are finally available on the WDW site. I am looking at an 11 day 10 night trip with 2 adults and 1 child (16). We have decided on getting the meal plan. We are aiming for a July 6 - 16. Our next step is to decide where we want our meals to be. I have started doing a little research on some of the places as if we are spening $1150 on this meal plan we want to get the most out of it. Can you guys give me some advice as far as where are some musts to eat, are using the signature and shows, which take up 2 TS meals, worth it. I read about Cinderella's Royal Table and it said that you get the meal and also they take a picture of you and your party in the lobby and they bring you a picture package over during your meal to keep. Is this picture package included in the price of the admission to the meal? I am leaning towards using a couple of meals that take up 2 TS meals so that my itinerary is not dictated by 10 ADRs which will have me looking at my watch more than I wish to. I want to try and do all there is to do in WDW and am not that big on eating, so I do not want to spend all my times traveling to restaurants and then back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cinderella's Royal Table is among the least cost-effective options on the Dining Plan. Most 2TS options cost adults around $50 out of pocket, but Cinderella's Royal Table runs only $31-$39, so keep that in mind. However, once you decide to get the Dining Plan, how much each meal is worth is no longer important. All that is important is how much you will enjoy the meal. There are some CS meals that I would enjoy more than some 2TS meals, so again, the money isn't improtant. What's important are your own tastes and your own priorities.

And based on that, I have to ask: Why are you considering the Dining Plan. You indicate that you're "not that big on eating" and you don't want to be governed by a dining schedule so much. These priorities would lead me to recommending that you not consider the Dining Plan, since the Dining Plan isn't a good fit for those priorities. The Dining Plan itself is a good deal, but only if you're going to have a nice sit-down meal every day, even if you weren't getting the Dining Plan. If you're as likely as not to just do a lot of fast food, then the Dining Plan isn't your best approach.

DisneyBound2007 said:
I have now begun the task of getting quotes now that the 2007 package rates are finally available on the WDW site. I am looking at an 11 day 10 night trip with 2 adults and 1 child (16). We have decided on getting the meal plan. We are aiming for a July 6 - 16. Our next step is to decide where we want our meals to be. I have started doing a little research on some of the places as if we are spening $1150 on this meal plan we want to get the most out of it. Can you guys give me some advice as far as where are some musts to eat, are using the signature and shows, which take up 2 TS meals, worth it. I read about Cinderella's Royal Table and it said that you get the meal and also they take a picture of you and your party in the lobby and they bring you a picture package over during your meal to keep. Is this picture package included in the price of the admission to the meal? I am leaning towards using a couple of meals that take up 2 TS meals so that my itinerary is not dictated by 10 ADRs which will have me looking at my watch more than I wish to. I want to try and do all there is to do in WDW and am not that big on eating, so I do not want to spend all my times traveling to restaurants and then back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Not sure if you would enjoy the dining plan. One of the draw backs to this is that you do have to schedule your days around you ADR's. If you were only staying for 4 or 5 days this would probably be ok but 10 days is a long time for limited spontaneity. We are heading down 8/22 for 10 nights and I decided to forgo the dining plan this year and instead I got an DDE card that gives me 20% off all my TS meals including alcoholic drinks (We do like beer and wine at dinner).
As far as restaurants go, pick the ones that you think have interesting menus not what will give you the most value. While saving a few dollars is great, especially at WDW you want your meals to be enjoyable. Unfortunately alot of my "must do" places will no longer be on the DDP next year (we love Epcot restaurants and alot of them are no longer available) but my family and I enjoy Yachtsman steak house, Cape May cafe, Boma's and Crystal Palace.

Unfortunately alot of my "must do" places will no longer be on the DDP next year (we love Epcot restaurants and alot of them are no longer available)
Word is that that's not the case. Rather, the list you're referring to only includes the Disney restaurants that are participating. The non-Disney restaurants that will participate aren't listed because the negotiations for participation starting in January haven't been completed yet.

I'm with Bicker...it doesn't really sound like the DDP is for you, based on what you've written.

On top of that, we found that our vacation was much more enjoyable last year if we ate where we wanted, what we wanted off the menu without the thought of "maximizing" the plan. If we were hungry for dessert - we ordered it...if not, we didn't. We also left with credits still on our card, as it was just way too much food for us.

However, when we got home and added up the receipts, we still came out way ahead of the DDP cost. You do have to be willing to go out of your way to schedule around your ADR's or try and find a restaurant where you will be on a particular day. It takes alot of obsessive planning, then sticking with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter