Adventures in Orlando: Day 9 - Water rides at IOA & Fantasmic at MGM

caroley

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
<b>Carole : (40) Organiser and chief adventurer. Compulsive shopper.
Stephen : (43) Head beer drinker, and food taster. Trainee shopper.</b>

<I>As this was our third year running at Orlando, the plan was to take it all at a slower pace, and enjoy the atmosphere. No queuing and no commando tactics. We have annual passes for Disney and length of stay passes for Universal. We’re giving Seaworld a Miss this year rather than try to cram too much in.</I>

Day 9 – Sunday 21/10/01
Today’s planned itinerary – MK and MGM
Weather – Wet, but still warm.

Today’s plan was to go to MK first, and stay to see the 3pm parade, before going to MGM for Fantasmic. However, we’d since made PSs at Hollywood and Vine for 4pm as part of our Fantasmic dinner package so we opted to go to IOA in the morning and MGM after..
First things first, though. Bagels and cream cheese, getting partial to these now. Mini blueberry bagels. Very tasty. Washed down with coffee out of our illegal mugs. After carefully hiding them from the mug police, we went to IOA prepared for some wet rides. Sandals, thin shorts, no cameras, just park passes, room keys, and some cash. Stephen also had a couple of TCs in his bum bag, which I didn’t find out about until later.
We were feeling lazy so took the water taxi over to City Walk, and strolled the last few yards to the park. We waved our magic room keys to go straight onto Spiderman and then went to the main ride of the day – Popeye & Bluto’s Bilge-Rat Barges. We got wet :rolleyes:. Just in case there was an inch of us that was merely wet, as opposed to soaked, we went on again. And again. Oh yes, no doubt about it, we’re definitely wet now. There was a young couple on with us on the last go round. You’d think our damp appearance would have told them something, but they got on in jeans and heavy tops, with thick socks and trainers, and confidently held plastic carrier bags over their heads to keep them dry. We tried to warn them, honest, but they thought we were joking. You should have seen their faces :p. If you’ve been on this ride, you’ll know that there is no escape. You get wet!

Time now for the one that I’ve been dreading. Dudley Do-Right’s Ripsaw Falls. I’d read on the Universal boards, that the angle of descent gets steeper as you go down, and that this makes you feel that you’re going to fall out. Also, someone had said that there was nothing to hold onto, and it was quite scary. What a load of twaddle, that was! It was excellent. If I liked it, then it can’t be that scary. Either that, or I’m getting braver ;). I did have a tight grip on the handrails, though.
By now, it was raining and people were diving for cover. Not much point in us doing that, though. We couldn’t get any wetter :D. A few people going into Dudley’s eyed us a bit nervously as we came out. We didn’t bother to explain that we were this wet when we went in. :crazy:
We went over to Jurassic Park River Adventure to see what that was like. The drop was a bit tamer than I’d expected, but very enjoyable. I’m definitely getting the hang of these drops, now. Maybe now that I’ve got log flumes licked, I’ll try coasters next. Maybe next year. Oy, who called me chicken?? Went on River Adventure again and then grabbed a coffee to drink while we dripped back to the hotel. Went in via our pool area short cut, and I’m sure some people thought we’d fallen in :D.

I had first shower while Stephen discovered what the impact of several gallons of water on paper money, traveller’s cheques and card park passes is. He managed to successfully iron the money and TCs, but mangled the park pass beyond belief. He also, strangely enough, ironed his wallet, which didn’t survive the encounter. My park pass was ruined, but my cash survived without needing to be ironed.
On the way out to MGM, we stopped off at our friendly MIB concierge and sheepishly informed him that Popeye had drowned our passes. It took him some work, but eventually we had nice dry replacements, which we promised faithfully to look after.

Got to the front door, and boy were we glad about the parking problem last night. It was pouring, so we happily handed over our valet ticket and got our car brought to us without us having to get wet. By the time we got to MGM, the rain had stopped, Hooray! We browsed through a few shops in MGM, and then asked if we could go in early for our PS, as we were starving. The buffet at H&V was excellent again, and I’d recommend this to anyone. I paced myself on the main course, and had room for some delicious strawberry shortcake. $38 plus tip.
As we came out, it was raining again, so we got some highly fashionable yellow ponchos. Stephen also purchased a cheap wallet to make do with ;). We felt a bit too stuffed for anything resembling a ride, so we did the animation tour. We did this last year and had our first peek at The Emperor’s new groove. This year we heard about a strange film with a small girl and a dangerous alien pretending to be a dog :crazy:. I’ll reserve judgement on that one. Had a good look round in the animation gallery and bought a couple of posters, and a few pins. (Well, Stephen wanted Mr and Mrs Potato Head, and you can’t buy just two, can you ;)) It was bucketing down outside, so we went into the studio store where I got a screensaver to go with last years. We poncho’d up and trotted to Muppets 3-D. I do like that! Then it was time for Fantasmic. Although it was raining hard by now, and didn’t stop all through the show, the ponchos kept us nice and dry. Yes, I know that’s what they’re for :p, I just didn’t expect them to be so efficient.
There’s nothing I can say about Fantasmic that hasn’t already been said, so I’ll just say that it was as good as I’d remembered, and we’re looking forward to showing it to Jo, next year.

We went back to the hotel via Publix, then Stephen decided to check how our bill was coming along. We could check it on the TV. You’ll never guess what we’d been charged for…..Yup, valet parking. Something to sort out tomorrow, then.

Pins bought today – 5

Tomorrow – Shopping, IOA, and more shopping

Thanks for the wonderful reports - luv reading them!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter