Adult (19) year old child with under-18 child logistics?

buttercup10

Mouseketeer
HI all - it's been a v. v. long time since I've posted. Haven't done a cruise in 6 years but contemplating a Fantasy cruise in summer 2023. Will have a 20-year-old and a 16-year-old and want to get a separate room for them. I saw one fare rule of "Minors under 18 not traveling with a parent or legal guardian must be accompanied by an adult 21 years or older in the same stateroom." We will be traveling together - same reservation, but not sure if this applies to a 16 year old in a stateroom with a 20 year old. (We aren't going to have connecting staterooms - we will get an outside verandah and stick the kids on an inside.) Just curious if this rule applies to kids on the same reservation as the parents, and if so is there a way around it?

Thanks!

HI all - it's been a v. v. long time since I've posted. Haven't done a cruise in 6 years but contemplating a Fantasy cruise in summer 2023. Will have a 20-year-old and a 16-year-old and want to get a separate room for them. I saw one fare rule of "Minors under 18 not traveling with a parent or legal guardian must be accompanied by an adult 21 years or older in the same stateroom." We will be traveling together - same reservation, but not sure if this applies to a 16 year old in a stateroom with a 20 year old. (We aren't going to have connecting staterooms - we will get an outside verandah and stick the kids on an inside.) Just curious if this rule applies to kids on the same reservation as the parents, and if so is there a way around it?

Thanks!
Since each room is it's own reservation, an under 18 must be in a room with an over 21. BUT, since it says "NOT traveling with a parent or legal guardian" this (I believe) wouldn't apply. The 16 year old is traveling with a parent. I also believe, as long as the other (adult, 20 year old) occupant of the room is a relative you're OK.

But, PLEASE, confirm with DCL what the policy is.

Of course, you could put mom and one kid in one room, and dad and other kid in the other on the reservations. Then, once onboard, sleep in whichever room you wish.

Thanks!
You can make the sleeping arrangements however you wish once onboard. My kids slept across the hall when they were 11 and 12. It saves money the way you are doing it.

Just the close the loop on this - I finally got around to calling DCL and Shoreside services and they said that the policy is that there has to be a 21 year old in the room. That the whole minor-child authorization form allowing a minor to travel with an 18+ that is not a parent or guardian doesn't apply to siblings when the parents are on the ship with them, which is completely nonsensical. So basically when I asked "so I have to lie about the reservation and who is sleeping where" they just said "we don't do bed checks". So yes, I have to lie. It is completely nonsensical and I think they make it really hard for families who actually are willing to pay the extra $$ to buy an extra stateroom for older children. Cause now I will have to deal with possibly different muster stations, and different room numbers for where we actually want to sleep and getting an additional card for getting into my actual room. Really really dumb!!!

Remember, there may be operational needs to move a passenger’s stateroom. And Disney wants a responsible adult person in every stateroom in case of complaints against a stateroom (crank calls, disorderly conduct, etc). Shipboard management is generally focused on the cabin as a unit of measurement/association, not family
relationshipcs.

Last edited:

Just the close the loop on this - I finally got around to calling DCL and Shoreside services and they said that the policy is that there has to be a 21 year old in the room. That the whole minor-child authorization form allowing a minor to travel with an 18+ that is not a parent or guardian doesn't apply to siblings when the parents are on the ship with them, which is completely nonsensical. So basically when I asked "so I have to lie about the reservation and who is sleeping where" they just said "we don't do bed checks". So yes, I have to lie. It is completely nonsensical and I think they make it really hard for families who actually are willing to pay the extra $$ to buy an extra stateroom for older children. Cause now I will have to deal with possibly different muster stations, and different room numbers for where we actually want to sleep and getting an additional card for getting into my actual room. Really really dumb!!!
I have two boys ages 18 and 14. We have an upcoming cruise in a few weeks with two balconey rooms, beside each other but not connecting. I am on one reservation and my husband on the other. We have done check in and we have the same muster stations. My travel agent said to ask for extra cards when we board and to just switch rooms.

I have done this on past cruises too on other lines when my son was under 18, and just moved rooms when we boarded. Went to guest services, and they gave us new room keys with the boys in one room and us in the other.

I don’t see what is so crazy about it. It’s no different then a policy that an adult must be over 21 to purchase alcohol onboard; however, they do not go around ID-ing people with drinks in hand to ensure that a parent has not purchased alcohol for a 20 year old. Yet we all know the latter happens, especially with guests from countries with a lower drinking age.

By requiring the policy of a 21 y old in the room, if a parent chooses to change the sleeping arrangements, the parent assumes the risk if the kids do something stupid in the room on their own and get hurt making it less likely the cruise line would be found negligent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter