ADRs - changing # of people in party...

stitch34

DIS Veteran
Have made my ADRs for 5 of us - my niece is up in the air over whether she will be joining us for our trip. But if she doesn't end up coming with us... what happens when we now are a party of 4 only and we show up to our reservations for 5 at CRT or CP or CM if one person doesn't show up to the reservation? Some ADRs I've made, like for Whispering Canyon and Garden Grill, they've told me yes, that table is fine for 4 or 5 people, no problem to add or take away that 5th person... but then for CRT, CP and CM when I've switched from 4 to 5 people when making the ADR, they say nope, need a different table for 4, or for 5 people, whole different reservation.

Our trip is in November - and won't know definitely till early September if niece is a yes, or no. I have CRT, CP breakfast, and CM all booked for 4 of us - perfect if niece ends up not coming with us. But if she does, then what? Should I try booking them for 5's instead? What will happen if show up with one person more.. or less than reservation? Those are the three ADRs I'm having issues with size-wise. Should I try to book each of them for a party of 4, and then book again for party of 5 and cancel the size I don't need as it gets sooner and I know? Can I do that?
It's just these ADRs that are making this tough for me, the not knowing with my niece. As for the room - we have ASMu suite booked, but would switch that easily (I would assume) to a standard room if she's not coming.
thanks!!

I'd book for 5 if available. It's much easier to use one less seat at a table than it would be to fit a 5th at a table designed for 4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!