Adopting vs. Buying a Puppy - UPDATE 1/15/13

So you didn't mention, what mix is your pup? Just wondering what you thought would be a disaster & turned out just perfect.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

Min-pin and Jack Russell - we call her a Mini-Jack! Very calm, lap dog (a big heavy at 20 pounds), walks into her crate around 9, wakes up around 8 or so when we get up, lots of napping while the kids are at school.

After having a min-pin before, who was super-hyper and crazy (and very dominant), I swore I'd never have another. My dog is super submissive (just don't tell the mailman, who she barks at fiercly every day).

I didn't want to turn this into a rescue vs. breeder debate, but it is really hard for me to sit her and watch all these rescues being bashed.

So, I'm sorry to the OP, for hijacking for your thread, but I just have to say something.

Rescue groups see some of the most horrifying abuse and neglect cases-I mean, really, it is hard for me to believe there are human beings out there that are capable of such heinous abuse to a living thing. But, there are. And these rescue groups take in those animals and gently nurse them back to health-sometimes spending thousands upon thousands of dollars to bring them back to health (not kidding, one rescue group I am involved in frequently spends 2000-3000 on a given dog-they are known as the go to group in our city for the worst possible cases).

And, then the time that is involved. These are people with full time jobs and families and they do adoption events on the weekend, they do home visits during the week and they drive all over the city to pick up an animal in need (not to mention the vet visits, groomer visits and time answering e-mails and processing applications). And nursing a dog to health? It is an enormous amount of time.

Think about the time you spend with your one animal-then multiply that by 80 or 100-(and 20 of them being seriously ill or injured).

And, yes, there are bad rescue groups. Not denying it. It is a shame the exist because they bring a bad reputation to the rescue groups who try so diligently to help animals and find them good, loving homes.

However, there are bad breeders, too. The rescue groups frequently take in their cast offs-the ones that they can't sell, the mothers that can't produce puppies anymore, the ones that are sick that they don't want to spend the money to make better. I have seen those dogs (and fostered one, as well).

So, please remember when you bash the rescue groups-they are doing the work that no one else wants to do. They see things that NO ONE should ever have to see (and if you did, you would understand why they don't always like people so much and are weary of everyone, they have seen the worst possible side of human nature). I can't even post pictures of some of the dog abuse cases I have seen, because they are just too graphic.

OP-I am sincerely sorry to hijack your thread, please forgive me. I just couldn't take the rescue bashing any longer...

Oh, and to the OP-I sincerely hope you find the perfect doggie for your family.

I (and most rescue groups) have no problem with reputable breeders.

But, more than likely, you will have to wait, as well. Most reputable breeders have a waiting list and only breed a dog once or twice in the pup's lifetime.

I thought of one more source of information that might be good for you-your local vet. If you go into the vet in your neighborhood they may have information about local rescues or reputable breeders in your area. Heck, you may even run into one while you are there (the founder of one of the groups I am involved in is at the vet once or twice a day).

Andtototoo said:
Please do not give medical advice. Just because your allergies can be handled by Zyrtec and cleaning does NOT mean everyone's allergies and asthma can be handled so easily. I know WAY too many people who took advice like that and a dog or cat had to be rehomed because the human's allergies and asthma were not so amenable to mitigation.

Yes, that's what the shelters told my sister -- that the rescues get first dibs on the most desirable dogs and she'd have to "suck up" to the rescues in order to get a dog from them and be prepared to pay twice what the shelter would have charged. They also told her it would take 2-3 years for her to find a dog. And then we wonder why breeders are still in business?

This hand-in-glove relationship has been reported:

Source: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/heavy_petting/2012/01/animal_rescue_want_to_adopt_a_dog_or_cat_prepare_for_an_inquisition_.html

I was not giving medical advice but sharing my experiences.

I didn't want to turn this into a rescue vs. breeder debate, but it is really hard for me to sit her and watch all these rescues being bashed.

So, I'm sorry to the OP, for hijacking for your thread, but I just have to say something.

Rescue groups see some of the most horrifying abuse and neglect cases-I mean, really, it is hard for me to believe there are human beings out there that are capable of such heinous abuse to a living thing. But, there are. And these rescue groups take in those animals and gently nurse them back to health-sometimes spending thousands upon thousands of dollars to bring them back to health (not kidding, one rescue group I am involved in frequently spends 2000-3000 on a given dog-they are known as the go to group in our city for the worst possible cases).

And, then the time that is involved. These are people with full time jobs and families and they do adoption events on the weekend, they do home visits during the week and they drive all over the city to pick up an animal in need (not to mention the vet visits, groomer visits and time answering e-mails and processing applications). And nursing a dog to health? It is an enormous amount of time.

Think about the time you spend with your one animal-then multiply that by 80 or 100-(and 20 of them being seriously ill or injured).

And, yes, there are bad rescue groups. Not denying it. It is a shame the exist because they bring a bad reputation to the rescue groups who try so diligently to help animals and find them good, loving homes.

However, there are bad breeders, too. The rescue groups frequently take in their cast offs-the ones that they can't sell, the mothers that can't produce puppies anymore, the ones that are sick that they don't want to spend the money to make better. I have seen those dogs (and fostered one, as well).

So, please remember when you bash the rescue groups-they are doing the work that no one else wants to do. They see things that NO ONE should ever have to see (and if you did, you would understand why they don't always like people so much and are weary of everyone, they have seen the worst possible side of human nature). I can't even post pictures of some of the dog abuse cases I have seen, because they are just too graphic.

OP-I am sincerely sorry to hijack your thread, please forgive me. I just couldn't take the rescue bashing any longer...

Very well said.

One other thing about rescue groups. They get dogs returned to them or sometimes the very dog they adopted out lands up back at the humane shelter where it was originated before they pulled it to rescue. Someone adopts and decides for whatever reason it isn't right for them. A returned dog has to be fostered again and takes up a space in their kennels or a foster parent's home instead of another dog they could have pulled from a shelter. That's another reason they tend to be thorough with their adoption process. They have seen it all and are trying, truly trying, to get a good match from the start.

Don't dismiss them all. As many have already said, there are good and bad rescues and good and bad breeders.

OP - I just want to wish you luck in your search.

Years ago (before I knew any difference) I bought dogs from breeders. Not necessarily responsible or reputable ones. My experiences were good and bad.

After adopting rescues about 10 years ago, I swore I would never buy another puppy from a breeder again. It's my personal preference. My only regret is not getting to smell puppy breath (but that only lasts a little while anyway). I've been fortunate that I've had excellent experiences with both breed specific rescue AND adopting from a shelter.

I was fortunate that my health (or the health of anyone in my family) was not a concern for me...I just had to pick what I wanted.

It is frustrating when you are trying to to do the "right" thing and are faced with such challenges.

Just wanted to wish you good luck and thank you for your diligence and patience in choosing the newest member of your family. I am confident you will have many many happy years together!

OP, sorry you are having so much trouble with rescue groups! The one I adopted my Skittle Little from was excellent! They even held her a week until I found a place to move too!
They also didn't call any of my background references, but I think that was due to the fact my sister had adopted there, and all the fosters saw all the updates on how much we loved the kitty!

Despite owning German Shepherds all my life, and my kids coming home from the hospital to two German Shepherds living here - hence growing up with them themselves - we were also turned down by a German Shepherd rescue despite actually begging for a dog that they were having difficulty placing who had medical issues that most people didn't want to deal with but I didn't mind. The dog I wanted would have been a perfect fit with our family as an even-tempered, non-abused, middle aged female, where we still had an elderly male here who was a sweetheart. No go. Why? My kids were literally a few months shy of the age they decided was the minimum age for living with a GSD (7). My home had already been fully approved by another GS rescue, but the one who had the dog I wanted wouldn't even come out. Hence, I have my beautiful girl - my lifetime buddy - who I got from a local breeder despite my best efforts to help a dog in need.

I also recently looked into rescuing another type of dog. After reading through some of the rescue sites' "rules" lists, I realized we won't qualify for them either, basically because of the other dog in our home. As if I would allow something bad to happen between my dog and a new dog. So that is out for me, too.

I do understand their rules. But I also understand why people look elsewhere.

I am more of a cat person (even if not exclusively!) and adopting them seems way less complicated. However, I will never let strangers decide which animal is best for me. I dislike this policy because I can pick out a pet based on my own interaction and feelings. Frankly, I would be suspicious that the rescue representative was just trying to push a certain difficult-to-adopt pet if they did that.

That said, I do appreciate the work that the rescue groups do and I include even the strict ones with mountains of rules and requirements. Just like not every pet is a perfect fit, neither is every animal rescue.

Sharing negative experiences isn't bashing. I don't see any bashing, just sharing of both good and bad rescue experiences.

Not liking people and being weary of everyone is exactly why many people have bad experiences with rescues. People do not want to be treated like they have done something wrong when all they are trying to do is give a dog a loving home.

It should also be kept in mind that rescues are staffed by volunteers. These are people with demanding jobs, schooling commitments, families, with other community activities and responsibilities. In our rescue, there's constant juggling of rescue responsibilities because people do have other lives. On occasion, schedules do get screwed up with all that juggling.

One of the worst jobs is the Dreaded Phone. The phone gets called 24/7. Some of the calls would amaze you, and not in a good way. There are the people who have decided they want to abandon the family pet right now, often for unbelievably ridiculous reasons, and expect that you are going to drive to their home and get it. There are the people who want to scream at you because you don't have their dream dog, or they don't like your rules. Sometimes they have you confused with a different group, but they still want to scream at you.

People can be incredibly demanding and just plain rude. It's not uncommon to be cussed out repeatedly and threatened. And this is something you aren't getting paid to do, and it takes time away from your own family.

So please, if they want you to fill out an online application first, or they don't get back to you immediately, please try to be a little understanding.

I think it might be easier to adopt a child than a dog. It's INSANE! We tried to adopt but ran into so many roadblocks we just gave up. No one would even consider us because we have children under the age of 12 and we have cats. Plus, I don't think I should have to allow strangers into my home to inspect it just to own a pet. We went with a breeder and have never regretted it. We brought our golden retriever home on Christmas Eve 4 years ago and he has been the best gift to this family since the kids were born. I'd go with a breeder again in a heartbeat.

Really? If you call waiting for a child for 5 years and opening your life and the lives of our family for a home study, ok.

OP, if your heart is set on a Shih Tzu, I would go the breeder route. My son and his fiancée have gone the shelter route a couple of times for their dogs. They love them. It costs them a few hundred dollars each month for anti anxiety/antidepressants for their dogs because of the lives their rescues led before they adopted them.
The Shih Tzu is a wonderful breed. We had one for several years before he died. Fluffy was the sweetest most lovable dog you can imagine.

Have you checked Buddy Dog in Sudbury? They have a dog the type you are looking for:

http://www.buddydoghs.com/dogs-for-adoption-2/

I am probably near you as I am in SE MA near the RI border too. We went to Save a Dog in Sudbury last week and I wish I had known about Buddy Dog then as it is right down the road from them. It was about a 40 minute drive so not bad.

Good luck!!

Jill

They idea of waiting 9 months to find the perfect dog is insane to me. As is the idea that I should let some people who don't even know me decide what dog is right for me.

I understand there are many abused and neglected animals and rescues are trying to do what they believe is best. The problem comes when everyone is treated like they are one of those people until they are thoroughly scrutinized and then the rescue people pick out their dog for them. Who wants to go through all that?

Getting a dog shouldn't be so complicated.

This is bashing.

I was recently in the same position as you. I wanted to adopt an adult dog because I wasn't sure I wanted to deal with training a puppy. I found the process of adopting wasn't for me. I didn't like dealing with rescue groups. The scrutiny some of them put you through made me uncomfortable. It was like they were doing me a favor by considering whether or not I could adopt one of their dogs. Some of the adoption fees seemed ridiculous to me.

Local rescues were filled with breeds I didn't want. It wasn't that I was looking for a certain breed but I wasn't about to adopt a pit bull with an unknown history.

In the end, I contacted local breeders and bought a puppy. I know its more work to deal with a puppy but it was the right choice for me.

This is informative.

While you did not have any luck with rescues, you need not criticize them as you did in your second post.

As I said, rescues aren't putting your needs first, they are putting the needs of an animal that, in most cases, has been abused and neglected. They are trying their best, and it is really insulting, as a person that is involved with rescue, that you don't seem to understand that or care about it. Think, for a moment, how your words affect others, okay?

I understand why some people don't want to work with rescues, that is why I gave the poster information about how to find reputable breeders in her area.

This is bashing.

This is informative.

While you did not have any luck with rescues, you need not criticize them as you did in your second post.

As I said, rescues aren't putting your needs first, they are putting the needs of an animal that, in most cases, has been abused and neglected. They are trying their best, and it is really insulting, as a person that is involved with rescue, that you don't seem to understand that or care about it. Think, for a moment, how your words affect others, okay?

I understand why some people don't want to work with rescues, that is why I gave the poster information about how to find reputable breeders in her area.

It's not bashing.
The poster said he/she didn't like the scrutiny. There's nothing wrong with that- it's not criticism. I took it as sharing how they felt. We went through it to adopt our child but no way no how would I do it in order to adopt a pet.

It's not bashing.
The poster said he/she didn't like the scrutiny. There's nothing wrong with that- it's not criticism. I took it as sharing how they felt. We went through it to adopt our child but no way no how would I do it in order to adopt a pet.

Sigh...then don't.

Sorry if I got upset, kind of like you did when someone mentioned it was easier adopting a child than a dog. Guess that subject is a important one to you, much like this one is to me? It's a funny thing when people say things and don't understand how words can hurt, isn't it? Guess that only applies to certain people, though...

I am removing myself from this thread now.

OP-I wish you all the luck in your search for a furry family member.

I'm betting part Border Collie. Hyper, but highly intelligent and trainable.

My rescue that I was not sure of is part Border Collie and that is why I was unsure of her. I feared she would be way too hyper so I was nervous about taking her on. She is amazing and I can't imagine my day to day life without her now! She is also super duper smart.

Have you checked Buddy Dog in Sudbury? They have a dog the type you are looking for:

http://www.buddydoghs.com/dogs-for-adoption-2/

I am probably near you as I am in SE MA near the RI border too. We went to Save a Dog in Sudbury last week and I wish I had known about Buddy Dog then as it is right down the road from them. It was about a 40 minute drive so not bad.

Good luck!!

Jill

Thank you for this... I had never heard about them. I just called about the Shih Tzu they have on their website but he's already on hold for someone else.

This is bashing.

This is informative.

Neither is bashing. I was sharing my experience and how I felt about it. Others on this thread have expressed similar feelings. Perhaps instead of dismissing negative feedback as bashing, it was should be taken into consideration to make the adoption process easier and more comfortable for all. If its really about finding loving homes for these dogs, maybe hearing about why they decided to go to a breeder, instead of a rescue, is important.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!